Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2010, 07:19 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
I took a look at the jobs in the area where the OP lives. Now I don't know what he is qualified for, but one website (which doesn't show all those stupid work at home type job listings) showed 3,849 legitimate jobs openings in the St. Louis Metro area.

Saint Louis Jobs, Jobs In Saint Louis, MO | Hound.com
How do you know these jobs are "legit"? How many require a special skill set? How many unemployed are there in St. L? More than 3849 people, I'm sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2010, 07:28 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,866,888 times
Quite a few job openings are permanent,in other words the company is always taking applications.

It doesn't mean there is a job however.

And then there is the matter that quite a few places already have a candidate for the job,they are simply going through the motions of putting out a listing.

Or there really ARE millions of jobs out there and everyone on unenjoyment is scamming the system....

Old 12-10-2010, 07:37 AM

9,495 posts, read 9,812,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
How do you know these jobs are "legit"? How many require a special skill set? How many unemployed are there in St. L? More than 3849 people, I'm sure.
I just looked at one website. I saw entry level up to executive jobs. Sure some may already be taken, but the list is refreshed quite frequently.

A lot people ask the same questions you ask, then don't bother inquiring about the job. Some people think that because they are "over qualified" they won't get the job. There is a lot of information on the internet that shows ways to beat those odds.

There are JOBS out there that are not being filled...with employers actually trying to fill them.

Old 12-10-2010, 07:43 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,866,888 times
And how many people out there looking for a job?

St. Louis, MO-IL Economy at a Glance

According to this,133,000 people are unemployed in St Louis.

Old 12-10-2010, 08:28 AM

11,431 posts, read 18,997,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
It's not THE UNEMPLOYED people take issue with, it's the government handouts far above and beyond what unemployment was set up to do.
Unemployment benefits have always been granted when the UE rate is above 7.2%. Since we are stubbornly holding in the mid to high 9s, I'd say that the gov't has the obligation to help us lest we fall into a Depression.

Old 12-10-2010, 08:35 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,681,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frizzo100 View Post
Some of you people make me sick. You act like every person who is unemployed is getting some kind of enjoyment out of this horrible situation. I really never thought I would stoop to this level of wishing something bad on people who I don't even know, but being unemployed changes you. Every time I hear someone say we are lazy or milking the system it makes my blood boil. There is nothing that would please me more (other than getting a job) than to see you people lose your jobs. Maybe then you would wake up and smell the coffee.
Oh, that's so nice of you to wish ill on others. Maybe you should spend your time more productively and actually look for work instead of spending your time on the internet hoping for a shot of schadenfreude.

Anyone who can't find a job is being too picky. There is ALWAYS work to be had if you really want to work. I've switched jobs twice in the last three years, because there is absolutely opportunity out there, and I traded up. I've never been out of work more than a couple weeks in the entire span of my working life, which is now approaching something like 35 years in the job market. Why? Because when I need to find a job, I GO FIND ONE instead of just sitting at home in my underwear and firing off the requisite three resumes a week that unemployment requires.

Old 12-10-2010, 08:41 AM

23,416 posts, read 36,993,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
What's funny,too, is that those who look down their noses at the unemployed don't realize that Really Wealthy people look down their noses at THEM! Really Wealthy people wonder why they're so lazy that they aren't millionaires and why are they wasting time on CD when they could be spending that time more productively making more money....

(Now watch how many come in claiming they ARE millionaires, that's always hilarious)
Hilarious, and sooooooooo true!
If the ones that are making the most noise only knew how the truly rich really felt about them.
They look at them as having the intelligence of a house dog.

Old 12-10-2010, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
And how many people out there looking for a job?

St. Louis, MO-IL Economy at a Glance

According to this,133,000 people are unemployed in St Louis.
According to the Bureau of Labor and Statistics, as of October 31, 2010 there was 3.4 Million job openings across the US.

There are 15 Million unemployed.

This country cannot survive like this....we cannot continue to rely on being a service type of economy and continue to give jobs away to overseas.

There is no end in sight that I can see.

Old 12-10-2010, 08:44 AM

23,416 posts, read 36,993,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
Oh, that's so nice of you to wish ill on others. Maybe you should spend your time more productively and actually look for work instead of spending your time on the internet hoping for a shot of schadenfreude.

Anyone who can't find a job is being too picky. There is ALWAYS work to be had if you really want to work. I've switched jobs twice in the last three years, because there is absolutely opportunity out there, and I traded up. I've never been out of work more than a couple weeks in the entire span of my working life, which is now approaching something like 35 years in the job market. Why? Because when I need to find a job, I GO FIND ONE instead of just sitting at home in my underwear and firing off the requisite three resumes a week that unemployment requires.
Thats a load of malarky.
Try finding a job in Florida, Marion County to be exact, that doesnt require some kind of cert in healthcare.
Go on, look.
The zip is 34470.

Old 12-10-2010, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Hilarious, and sooooooooo true!
If the ones that are making the most noise only knew how the truly rich really felt about them.
They look at them as having the intelligence of a house dog.
Would there be ANY jobs if there were no rich people?

If we all made the same amount of money, what type of work would we do?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies