Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 06:36 PM

4,301 posts, read 7,032,652 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by txgolfer130 View Post
You have it simply and perfectly incorrect. They are TEMPORARY tax CUTS, to previous TAX RATES. The length of time of the tax CUTS no matter how much you and the faux news attempt to harp on them, is moot. The tax CUTS were designed to be in effect for time A through time B, then sunset and RETURN to normal previously established, agreed upon RATES within the bill to enact the CUTS to the normal tax RATES.

A bill to EXTEND them would be a continuation of TAX CUTS of the previous normal tax RATES...hence the terminology....EXTENSION of Bush era TAX CUTS.

The tax cuts have been in effect longer than the original rates they cut. For 10 years people have been paying lower rates. For the millions of taxpayers who began their careers paying at the cut rates, seeing that rate go up no matter what semantical excuse you provide is going to be seen as a tax increase.

And since people seem to be too lost to understand; imagine if you graduated college and started your first job in 2004. You earn $70,000 a year and fall into the 25% bracket. You pay that same amount for 6 years through 2010. Then, in 2011 your rate goes up to 28%. For the first time ever you are paying a higher rate than when you started working.

Do not lie, if you were in that situation, would you consider it tax increase?

Because millions of taxpayers are in that same situation, the current rates are all they have ever known. If it goes up your excuses will not hold.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2010, 06:53 PM

7,787 posts, read 8,026,960 times
well this is just great for any business looking to invest in the future.who needs another temporary tax rate. do they just guess it will stay the same or go up in 2 years? any business with half a brain will just sit on their money and wait. this gov spends all their time figuring how to pay people not to work instead of how to let business create jobs with a long term tax plan. recipe for failure

Old 12-09-2010, 06:59 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,236,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
As to point 2: You should see the difference in posts on my Facebook page from last month to this month.

Last month, not a day went by to where one of my friends on there wasn't boasting about taking some trip or going surfing or spending the day doing wine flights, etc. The term most of them were using was "Funemployment". Not 4 weeks ago there was a "Off to Rome for 2 weeks, hopefully I don't forget to 'apply' for some accounting jobs with my engineering degree lol. Funemployment rules!" They were yakkin' it up, loving every minute of it.

This month? The mood is definitively more morose amongst a great many of them. I'm seeing a lot more "Ugh, I gotta get dressed for another interview today, FML", or "GOD, I'm so sick of filling out applications, why can't they just read my resume? This sucks!!" and the like. I'm not gonna lie, a part of me smiles inside when I see it. They've been on the dole long enough. I suppose it's good work if you can get it. But it's gotta end at some point.
How is this possible son? How can someone go to Rome on unemployment benefits unless they already had the money saved up from when they were working? The bennies are what, 1/3 of your weekly income or the state maximum-which ever is lowest.

Everyone I have talked to on unemployment barely makes enough pay rent/mortgage and bills. In your OP you state that those unemployed are going to miss Christmas if their bennies get cut, but you have friends who are using their bennies to have "fun".

Which is it?

Old 12-09-2010, 07:07 PM

3,117 posts, read 4,585,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
How is this possible son? How can someone go to Rome on unemployment benefits unless they already had the money saved up from when they were working? The bennies are what, 1/3 of your weekly income or the state maximum-which ever is lowest.

Everyone I have talked to on unemployment barely makes enough pay rent/mortgage and bills. In your OP you state that those unemployed are going to miss Christmas if their bennies get cut, but you have friends who are using their bennies to have "fun".

Which is it?
My friends started off with money. They're the ones the politicians and the extreme left DON'T reference when they talk about "the hardships of being unemployed". The polis and extreme left types only want to point out the guy who was making 12 bucks an hour as a welder and livin gpaycheck to paycheck.

Post 1 was referencing that guy. My Facebook page puts on display the other type....the ones who have some savings and just need to augment them with a little bit of income (say, oh, I dunno, 2 grand a month) to keep themselves going. And why go work a job for that 2 grand when the government will just give it to you, right? Now that their free ride might end, the mood is all changing. They don't have that supplemental income anymore, just their savings, and that starts to worry them.

Old 12-09-2010, 07:27 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,303,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Dawg View Post
Don't forget Republicans are also hostage-taking terrorists, who shouldn't be negotiated with under any circumstances... Liberals will negotiate with Al-Qaeda terrorists, they'll negotiate with Iranian hostage-takers, they'll negotiate with Jew-killing Palestinian terrorists, but Republicans? UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES!

Most of us know who the enemies of America are.

Should I say they make up the least amount of us Americans and follow their leaders like good little robots should.

Old 12-09-2010, 07:45 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,407,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
well this is just great for any business looking to invest in the future.who needs another temporary tax rate. do they just guess it will stay the same or go up in 2 years? any business with half a brain will just sit on their money and wait. this gov spends all their time figuring how to pay people not to work instead of how to let business create jobs with a long term tax plan. recipe for failure
Great point. The massive uncertainties surrounding tax rates, potential costs of cap and tax, unknown exposures to Obamacare, who gets a waiver and who doesn't etc., etc. have been toxic to long-term planning.

Old 12-11-2010, 09:50 AM

1,296 posts, read 2,225,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guamanians View Post
1. I haven't heard anyone propose that the middle class pay MORE than the wealthy.

2. yes, jobs sent overseas is a problem. But, it is a total joke to think that extending unemployment benefits is a job creator. Seriously, that is not even close to the truth. We need to give the unemployed some incentive to work. Giving them free money does not do that.
In order for the unemployed to go back to work, they need JOBS. And right now, with the unemployment rate climbing again, jobs are NOT being created. Unemployment benefit extensions, are not meant to create jobs. Wonder what on earth gave you that idea! Unemployment benefit extensions, are meant to keep people from starving in the streets, until they can find jobs. And as long as the unemployment rate stays high, then unemployment benefit extensions will be needed.

Old 12-11-2010, 10:06 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,460,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post

Which is it?
Many in the white collar jobs get 6-12 months pay when they are laid off.
Many of the young ones also cashed in their 401Ks when they got laid off.
The stories were there for the reading.
They did it because they never lived through a REAL recession/depression.
The dot com bust was their comparison.

Now reality is hitting home and they have no more money left.
That "funemployment" isn't so fun anymore.

Below article is from 2009..you don't see articles like this today.
Funemployment - For the 'funemployed,' unemployment's welcomed - Los Angeles Times
"Buoyed by severance, savings, unemployment checks or their parents, the funemployed do not spend their days poring over job listings. They travel on the cheap for weeks. They head back to school or volunteer at the neighborhood soup kitchen. And at least till the bank account dries up, they're content living for today."

Old 12-11-2010, 10:10 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,460,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artwomyn View Post
In order for the unemployed to go back to work, they need JOBS. And right now, with the unemployment rate climbing again, jobs are NOT being created. Unemployment benefit extensions, are not meant to create jobs. Wonder what on earth gave you that idea! Unemployment benefit extensions, are meant to keep people from starving in the streets, until they can find jobs. And as long as the unemployment rate stays high, then unemployment benefit extensions will be needed.
Jobs ARE being created by US corporations but not in the US.
How long do you think UE extensions can go on ?
Those jobs that left are not coming back; those are now permanent jobs in another country.
Workers here willingly took cuts, heavier workload and are producing so companies are happy.

So all the unemployed just sit around "waiting" for someone to create a job for them ?

And Pelosi herself said UE creates jobs.

Old 12-11-2010, 11:17 AM

3,378 posts, read 3,706,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artwomyn View Post
yes, we need to keep people from starving in the streets. But, to say that unemployment benefits create jobs is just wrong.
We both agree that we need to create jobs. But, we also need to give the unemployed some incentive to join the workforce. Giving them money to sit around and drink beer is not the right way to do that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies