Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2010, 01:47 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,415,085 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Being PC is important to you then?
No. I am the least PC person I know. It just seems to me that the whole Oprah show giving away frivolous things is insensitive in these dismal financial times. Whole families are going from a home to homeless due to the down economy.

Last edited by pommysmommy; 12-11-2010 at 01:48 PM.. Reason: Typo

Old 12-11-2010, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruthBTold2U View Post
I don't watch Oprah, but, I would think the give aways are given by sponsors and what not.
I don't think sponsors are giving the gifts. They most likely cut Oprah a good deal but she is the one spending the money.

Old 12-11-2010, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factsplease View Post
Of all the threads for me to click on . This is ridiculous. OP, are you seriously bashing Oprah, a humanitarian who volunteers her time and gives a lot of money to charites of being "politically incorrect" for giving gifts to her studio audience?

How about we all skip the gift giving part of Christmas, not buy gifts for friends and family and spend the money on charities? According to your logic, we shouldn't give gifts to others because there are poor people in the US. How about eating beans and rice for Christmas dinner rather than the turkey or prime rib roast? After all people are starving

You really shouldn't let your hatred of the POTUS affect you so much. This is the USA and we are entitled to vote the way we want and support whoever we want. Oprah has done a lot for the American people, much more than Sarah Pailin or the disgusting Michele Bachmann...try seeing this for what it is, rather than letting your hatred of President Obama cloud your brain.
Thanks for sharing your rant but you clearly missed my point. Not decent of you to make assumptions regarding my opinions.

Old 12-11-2010, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_Carbonni View Post
What type of sad and pathetic person gets offended over this type of stuff?

"Oprah gives away gifts. That *****!"
What kind of a rude person calls another poster "sad and pathetic" never having met them?

Old 12-11-2010, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
I find it quite odd that the OP chose to single out Oprah and yet there are 346 other American billionaires that could be criticized and/or praised for the generosity (or lack of....depending on your view)

Which brings me back to the question......why is the OP specifically targeting Oprah?
If you are implying that I am racist you missed the mark Calipoppy.

Old 12-11-2010, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
What kind of sad and pathetic person gets offended over Oprah's annual give-away program? Someone who is jealous that they didn't get in on the give-away---if they can't get free stuff they don't want to see anyone else get it either.
I am hardly sad and pathetic. How can you be sure that I have never been in an Oprah audience and received a gift? Perhaps you are stating opinion as fact.

Old 12-11-2010, 02:02 PM

3,849 posts, read 3,753,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post
No. I am the least PC person I know. It just seems to me that the whole Oprah show giving away frivolous things is insensitive in these dismal financial times. Whole families are going from a home to homeless due to the down economy.
So? You think she should be providing housing for everyone in the country just because she has more money than most?
Quote:
I don't think sponsors are giving the gifts. They most likely cut Oprah a good deal but she is the one spending the money.
Bingo! It's HER money to spend on whomever and whatever she wants to spend it, is it not? Or do you think, because she has more money than either of us (likely more than both of us and our families combined!), that you or I should be deciding for her where her money should go? I won't let my sons tell me how to spend what little money I have, much less a total stranger. She's entitled to that same autonomy.

Old 12-11-2010, 02:08 PM

I never said that Oprah should provide homes for all the homeless. I simply stated that the money she spent could have housed some homeless people. It is her money. No where in my OP did I state it wasn't her money to give. My point is that the "giving away shows" are insensitive in these bad financial times. Strange how so many responses assume that I was unaware that it was her money to give.

Old 12-11-2010, 02:10 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,535,626 times
Quote:
Out of ALL of the other billionaires in America (Bill Gates, the Koch brothers, Rupert Murdoch, Mark Zuckerberg) and ALL of the other shows that give away stuff on their shows daily (Ellen, Regis and Kelly)....why are you specifically singling out Oprah?

No need to answer....we know why.

Old 12-11-2010, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Out of ALL of the other billionaires in America (Bill Gates, the Koch brothers, Rupert Murdoch, Mark Zuckerberg) and ALL of the other shows that give away stuff on their shows daily (Ellen, Regis and Kelly)....why are you specifically singling out Oprah?

No need to answer....we know why.
You "know why" Calipoppy? I am telling you that you know nothing of me or my character. Posting it on a forum doesn't make it so child.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies