Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 10:04 AM

4,696 posts, read 5,822,831 times

Advertisements

I know there are some high profile ones like Hugh Hewitt but I was wondering if any conservatives on this board are against it. I am because it adds to the deficit. I am all for tax cuts but they need to be combined with spending cuts. The last thing we need is 2 years of compromise with the dangerous combination of tax cuts and spending increases. I realize tax cuts are more politically popular but we can't go on spending this way...if it's not too late.

Extending UE is fine with me but once again spending needs to be cut elesewhere to make up for it. Republicans were talking this way just days ago, now all the sudden they sold out to Obama and have no problem spending into oblivion.

The single thing I dislike most about the tax deal (and this get's talked about very little) is that it expands the Earned Income Tax Credit. I have long felt the EITC should be eliminated not expanded. It is one of the main reasons 47% of the population pays no income taxes at all. I have no strong opinions about the "tax cuts for the rich" debate. I want low taxes for everyone. But to keep spending at these obscene levels not only do we need the rich to pay, we need everyone to contribute including the 47% who are taking a free ride.

Last edited by Jay F; 12-10-2010 at 10:45 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2010, 10:22 AM
C.C

2,235 posts, read 2,363,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
I know there are some high profile ones like Hugh Hewitt but I was wondering if any conservatives on this board are against it. I am because it adds to the deficit. I am all for tax cuts but they need to be combined with spending cuts. The last thing we need is 2 years of compromise with the dangerous combination of tax cuts and spending increases. I realize tax cuts are more politically popular but we can't go on spending this way...if it's not too late.

Extending UI is fine with me but once again spending needs to be cut elesewhere to make up for it. Republicans were talking this way just days ago, now all the sudden they sold out to Obama and have no problem spending into oblivion.

The single thing I dislike most about the tax deal (and this get's talked about very little) is that it expands the Earned Income Tax Credit. I have long felt the EITC should be eliminated not expanded. It is one of the main reasons 47% of the population pays no income taxes at all. I have no strong opinions about the "tax cuts for the rich" debate. I want low taxes for everyone. But to keep spending at these obscene levels not only do we need the rich to pay, we need everyone to contribute including the 47% who are taking a free ride.
I'm hoping dems kill it - I think the repubs gave away more than they should have.

Old 12-10-2010, 10:25 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,934,013 times
At this point I say go ahead and let taxes go up across the board on January 1st. The the liberal middle class suffer for a few paychecks. They should reap the rewards of the representatives they elected. The GOP controlled house will then come in January in the 112th Congress and get this resolved correctly.

Focus now needs to be in stopping the far left's attempt of Amnesty via the DREAM Act. Harry Reid has promised to shove it through the Senate this session.

Old 12-10-2010, 10:27 AM

45,582 posts, read 27,187,569 times
I already stated my opposition yesterday in another thread.

Can there be at least a counter-offer?

The compromise will raise the deficit - which they said they wouldn't do.
Tax rates remain the the same - meaning there will be no benefit - only a possible loss if the rates go up. Translation - the best we can do is the status quo.

Old 12-10-2010, 10:40 AM

8,806 posts, read 6,110,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
At this point I say go ahead and let taxes go up across the board on January 1st. The the liberal middle class suffer for a few paychecks. They should reap the rewards of the representatives they elected. The GOP controlled house will then come in January in the 112th Congress and get this resolved correctly.

Focus now needs to be in stopping the far left's attempt of Amnesty via the DREAM Act. Harry Reid has promised to shove it through the Senate this session.
Great post.

I'm against it b/c I disagree with extending UE benefits (not even b/c we can't pay for them, but b/c I believe it only prolongs UE and thus, the economic problems) and I definitely disagree with the estate tax in any form. The SS tax decrease should not be given b/c SS is already in major trouble; however, if they're going to do it, the employers should be the ones getting the decrease so they can attempt to maybe create jobs (it's a pittance, really). I agree with extending the tax cuts but they need to be made permanent so as to increase confidence among the wealthy who are the investors. The AMT patch needs addressing as well but is not part of this deal. They need to address the problem of FUTA and SUTA rates also, which they have not, at least not that I've heard.

Old 12-10-2010, 10:40 AM

20,459 posts, read 12,381,706 times
this is a good point. not sure what we can do here but if spending isnt cut, nothing matters.

Old 12-10-2010, 10:43 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,944,793 times
I am now, what will all the "sweeteners" (another huge stimulus for obama) being lumped into another wish list of liberal pork barrel projects.

I want a friggin CLEAN bill, nothing else riding along, just the tax RATE extensions, the UE extension and the 2% cut in the payroll tax.

That's it!

Nothing else should be in the bill.

Old 12-10-2010, 11:00 AM

4,696 posts, read 5,822,831 times
Perhaps some conservatives supported this deal at first because they saw how angry it got the far left? I enjoyed seeing that too, but it was ALL because of their "tax cuts for the rich" obsession, not because this is a conservatve bill.

As conservatives become more aware of how much this deal incresases the deficit, entitlement programs, and now pork barrel spending(ethanol for example) I would hope more turn against it.

Old 12-10-2010, 11:14 AM
C.C

2,235 posts, read 2,363,015 times
Quote:
Perhaps some conservatives supported this deal at first because they saw how angry it got the far left? .
At fist I thought the outrage was orchestrated to set the stage for some phony Obama statesmanship. Now I'm not so sure, but Pelosi can't possibly be dumb enough to let the 65 or so defeated members kill it.

Quote:
As conservatives become more aware of how much this deal incresases the deficit, entitlement programs, and now pork barrel spending(ethanol for example) I would hope more turn against it.
Agreed, but we want it to be clear that dems killed it, not repubs...

Old 12-10-2010, 11:58 AM

31 posts, read 44,753 times
Quote:

Extending UE is fine with me but once again spending needs to be cut elesewhere to make up for it. Republicans were talking this way just days ago, now all the sudden they sold out to Obama and have no problem spending into oblivion.

Lower tax rates rarely add to the deficit. Instead, they result in stimulated economic activity.

I know it is hard to accept, by America is NOT about the Federal Government, and what is good for it. It IS about the American people, and what is good for THEM.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies