Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2010, 11:33 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,180,466 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Are you advocating the nationalization of oil companies?

I would have thought with all the subsidies that the oil companies got from the Bush administration, the oil companies would have used it to build refineries. If not then, then what does it take from the government.
Not allowed to build refineries.

Old 12-11-2010, 12:01 AM

6,369 posts, read 6,408,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
Under Clinton, it was less than $1 a gallon
Under Hoover, it was less than a nickel a gallon.

Old 12-11-2010, 01:21 AM

3,117 posts, read 4,585,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Sucks to live where you live then.

I remember when it was $2.22 about 6 months ago.

Whats a short time later to you? It didn't just jump up to that over night & I have NEVER paid $4.50 for gas in Texas! The highest it ever got up to here was like $3.89 a gallon.

Historical Price Charts - Texas Gas Prices
That's Texas. I spent some time there last year, and the cheap gas was wonderful yes, but you're not indicative of the rest of the country.

Anyhow, I see a lot of people saying "a president can't affect the cost of fuel!". I disagree, and I will provide two examples of presidents taking actions that changed fuel prices:

Bill Clinton: Does anybody remember sometime in 99 or 2000 when fuel was pushing 2 bucks a gallon, and then seemingly overnight it dropped to like...89 cents (Seattle prices)? I don't know the whole backstory to this, but Clinton got pissed at the oil cartels and had the government stop buying oil from them for ONE DAY, and the prices plummeted almost instantaneously. Now I'm somewhat ambivalent about Clinton as he did some things I liked and some things I hated, but this is one of the things he did that was spot-on right.

George W. Bush: Gas prices were spiraling out of control, they were getting higher by the day, tempers were reaching a breaking point. What did he do? He got behind a podium and announced that he was going to RAMP UP government purchase of oil to put into the saltmines for the Federal reserve. In a game of supply and demand (and yes, insane market manipulation by speculators), this clown actually got before the world and said "Gas prices are high....I'm gonna buy even more oil!" In a period of time when people were screaming that oil supplies were tight and supply was low, this guy was chirping about how he was going to put even more strain on supply. This idiot didn't even understand the basic concept of "buy low sell high". His concept was "Buy high....and, um.....can I go play with my toy planes now?". Result? Gas prices shot up like a rocket.

Two wholly different actions which resulted in two wholly different results.

Old 12-11-2010, 03:05 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,781,454 times
Quote:
Anyone else notice this trend?

Before it was all Bush's fault. He was the oil hungry, blood thirsty war monger in the eyes of the liberals.

Now that Obama is in office no one talks about the outrageous price for a gallon of gas anymore.
It's not the commodities market playing games this time. It's inflation.

Old 02-18-2011, 08:28 AM

78,409 posts, read 60,579,949 times
Whoa whoa whoa....hold on a second you mean to tell me Bush isn't still president? I'm not falling for that trick.

Still in Iraq, more troops to Afghanistan, wallstreet insiders in key positions, high gas prices, Guantanamo bay up and running, tension with all the usual countries, a disaster down around New Orleans, problems in the middle east....clearly Bush is still in power.

Old 02-18-2011, 08:43 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,921,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
It's not the commodities market playing games this time. It's inflation.
This article makes interesting reading n the subject

Here comes $4 gasoline - Street Sweep: Fortune's Wall Street Blog

Old 02-18-2011, 08:44 AM

11,578 posts, read 13,947,225 times
It's clearly GW trying to make is oil buddies rich.

Old 02-18-2011, 08:49 AM

78,409 posts, read 60,579,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
It's clearly GW trying to make is oil buddies rich.
It's interesting to see whom got the largest campagin donations from Exxon in the 2008 election. I won't ruin the surprise though.

Hint: Hillary got more than McCain...and she was #2.

Old 02-18-2011, 10:21 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,567,236 times
Obama & Bernanke are sacred cows to the liberal press, and won't be challenged on anything they do. Obama has stopped most forms of energy exploration with his Ebergy Secretary doing his dirty work, and they're disgustingly getting a free ride from the press.

That same illiterate media horrendously undersold the true cost of ObamaCare, and treated his signing of that bill as if it were something to celebrate as opposed to something that will destroy the middle class in this country.

For them to treat his signing of that horrible bill as being the equal of a watershed moment in US history, such as VJ Day or Neil Armstrong's walk on the moon is flat-out unconscionable and blatantly insulting & dishonest to all of us.

Old 02-18-2011, 10:29 PM

1,461 posts, read 1,529,023 times
Quote:
Anyone else notice this trend?

Before it was all Bush's fault. He was the oil hungry, blood thirsty war monger in the eyes of the liberals.

Now that Obama is in office no one talks about the outrageous price for a gallon of gas anymore.
It wasn't Bush's fault and it isn't Obama's fault. Americans have chosen a lifestyle that relys on the automobile. Stop whining. I fill up about every 10 weeks. Why? I have chosen to live in a place where I can walk almost everywhere and that has good mass transit. I figured that in when I chose my home. Unless you are a farmer, a waterman, a trucker or a few other lifestyles, stop whining.

What do conservatives want - govt. control of the oil companies? Let's go all the way then, remember it was a GOP president who put in wage and price controls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies