Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 02:03 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,922,559 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
I don't think there should be any taxes, if anything more grants. You are correct, there is no price you can put on a college education.
However tuition does have a price, a defined dollar amount does it not? Is a grant not often funded on the backs of other taxpayers, especially those which are federal grants?

Is this another example of the "taxes for thee, not for me" mantra of liberal elitists?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2010, 02:08 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,454,776 times
Forget tuition..the salaries of those working in college have a price and that price keeps rising each year.
Who do you think pays those salaries ?

Old 12-10-2010, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
The most pathetic thing to me is they are actually asking for it. Demanding it.

Begging for benefit cuts so that that the wealthy can enjoy a few points shaved off their top end marginal tax rates.

In a day and age when the wealthy are better off than ever before, when the gap between rich and poor is the greatest it's ever been.
Obviously in your blind partisan rage you fail to notice that the children of wealthy who receive college tuition as a paid "gift" from their parents would be included in such a tax. They would be treated exactly the SAME as the kid who has to work his/her way through college or those who receive grants and scholarships regardless of their wealth status.

What is not just about that?

Old 12-10-2010, 02:09 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,090,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
then why isn't college tuition given by grants, scholarship, or parents (above the gift tax level), taxed as "income" to the student? Can a real dollar value not be placed on it?
The reason why grants arent taxed is because education expenses are usually tax deductible.. So you dont pay taxes on the money regardless if its earned, or granted to you.

Publication 970 (2009), Tax Benefits for Education

Old 12-10-2010, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Is anyone who gets a W-2 salary rich ?
Because the truly rich do not have W-2 salaries. Their wealth is hedged and will not be the least affected if tax rates went to 100% of your salary.
They dont get it.. i've tried explaining it over, and over, and over.. its almost like they think everyone in the country working receives a paycheck....

Old 12-10-2010, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
The reason why grants arent taxed is because education expenses are usually tax deductible.. So you dont pay taxes on the money regardless if its earned, or granted to you.

Yes, I realize that.

My argument was based on the mantra for taxing the rich and eliminating tax "loopholes" as are always espoused by the liberals on this forum. I wanted to see if they were consistent in their convictions.......

Old 12-10-2010, 02:15 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,324,587 times
Quote:

But wouldn't you have to itemize to get the deduction though? I don't think many college kids itemize their taxes, and many are still claimed on their parents' returns. So, the kid who works but doesn't (or can't) itemize will pay taxes right?

Old 12-10-2010, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
But wouldn't you have to itemize to get the deduction though? I don't think many college kids itemize their taxes, and many are still claimed on their parents' returns. So, the kid who works but doesn't (or can't) itemize will pay taxes right?
the itemizing would be done by the parents. Students dont itemize because they generally dont earn enough to pay taxes to begin with..

Old 12-10-2010, 02:21 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,324,587 times
Quote:
the itemizing would be done by the parents. Students dont itemize because they generally dont earn enough to pay taxes to begin with..
That's what I figured too. So, the kid who isn't claimed by his/her parents as a dependent would be taxed depending on their income level, right? At what level of income do people generally start to pay tax assuming no itemization and just standard deductions?

Old 12-10-2010, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Yes, I realize that.

My argument was based on the mantra for taxing the rich and eliminating tax "loopholes" as are always espoused by the liberals on this forum. I wanted to see if they were consistent in their convictions.......
The only thing consistant you will get from them is their consistant hate for those who disagree with them. This thread is a great example of that..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies