Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 10:35 AM

9,659 posts, read 10,230,482 times

Advertisements

There was a thread earlier where certain people were complaining that "liberals" made fun of farmers. Certain people in the agriculture business deserve to be mocked and vilified. The conditions many animals live in are deplorable, and some are worse than the conditions of animals rescued from animal abuse. The lives of animals should be respected.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2013, 10:51 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,673,787 times
Whatever...farmers feed you. It's one of the most noble professions out there...more noble than all you who go to work and sit in front of a computer all day, on facebook or *cough" us forums....

I wanted to become a hunter...but apparently there's a law against selling game meat for profit. Can you imagine that? How is it that I'd be breaking the law if I chose to do something that humans have needed to do to exist as they do today?

Next you'll tell me I can't go out there and build a home with out answering to the government...oh wait...

I've said it before, those laws you have...I'll only follow them in so far as I don't lose my freedom.

I still might do the hunting thing, btw.

Old 02-20-2013, 10:58 AM

2,075 posts, read 4,447,536 times
FYI, a lot of farmers out there don't have a choice. The mega-corporations have come in and taken control of the entire process. If you are a farmer and don't follow their rules... you'll be blackballed out of the business. For example, google Tyson chicken farms.

Old 02-20-2013, 11:00 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,676,249 times
There aren't many real farms these days. Corporate entities have taken over mass production of meat, eggs, etc, and yes, a lot of those animals do live in deplorable conditions.

I grew up on a farm. A real farm. A family farm. We worked our butts off, dawn to dark and then some. We treated our animals very well, and grew their feed. They had shelter, all the food they could eat, fresh water by the pondfull, and pastures in which to roam, free as birds.

We had more fun in an hour than kids today have in a lifetime.

The government and unions got involved and ruined everything. I'm exceptionally grateful I grew up in the era I did.

Old 02-20-2013, 11:04 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,537,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
There was a thread earlier where certain people were complaining that "liberals" made fun of farmers. Certain people in the agriculture business deserve to be mocked and vilified. The conditions many animals live in are deplorable, and some are worse than the conditions of animals rescued from animal abuse. The lives of animals should be respected.
I hate our mass production of farm animals and how they are treated. I definitely have more respect for a hunter or the small-time farmer.

I try to buy from local farmers markets where they SAY = cage free or free range whatever. I hope to God it's true.

Old 02-20-2013, 11:06 AM

1,216 posts, read 1,464,512 times
I agree. We live next to a CAFO (factory farm) and the way they treat their animals is deplorable. My father has about 20-25 head of cattle and he can tell you the name of each one. They are his babies. He delivered half of them. They are better taken care of then my mother.

The CAFOs are not farms that people think they are. They are animal factories. They are horrid conditions for the animals. Do just a little research and you will be appalled. Not to mention what big polluters they are.

Last time I did some research I came across an article stating it is illegal for me to take pictures of CAFOs animals. People were getting in trouble for taking pics and exposing conditions. I could take a picture from the end of my road and I'd be a criminal.

Old 02-20-2013, 11:10 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,537,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaleyRocks View Post
I agree. We live next to a CAFO (factory farm) and the way they treat their animals is deplorable. My father has about 20-25 head of cattle and he can tell you the name of each one. They are his babies. He delivered half of them. They are better taken care of then my mother.

The CAFOs are not farms that people think they are. They are animal factories. They are horrid conditions for the animals. Do just a little research and you will be appalled. Not to mention what big polluters they are.

Last time I did some research I came across an article stating it is illegal for me to take pictures of CAFOs animals. People were getting in trouble for taking pics and exposing conditions. I could take a picture from the end of my road and I'd be a criminal.
I've seen the videos and news exposes' and it sickens me. Tell me what I can do other than to try and buy from people like your father. That's all I know to do at this point.

Old 02-20-2013, 11:13 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,878,541 times
People demand low prices and bigger chickens, bigger beef, bigger bigger...as long as there's demand, there's supply. I'll pay a little more for local raised beef, pork and poultry. I don't consider these huge megafarms as "farms". They're food factories.

Old 02-20-2013, 11:26 AM

9,659 posts, read 10,230,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
People demand low prices and bigger chickens, bigger beef, bigger bigger...as long as there's demand, there's supply. I'll pay a little more for local raised beef, pork and poultry. I don't consider these huge megafarms as "farms". They're food factories.
I agree, but that's vilifying factories.

Old 02-20-2013, 11:30 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,198,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
That works great for guys like me that live in the sticks and can shoot a couple of deer every year. But what about the people that live in the city and don't have anywhere to hunt...except maybe the coon that goes through their trash? Are they cursed to be vegans?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies