Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2010, 05:52 AM

1,373 posts, read 3,125,749 times

Advertisements

The problem with Political Correctness is that it values equality above everything so much that it is even willing to sacrifice honesty and ethics for this goal.

For example - Affirmative Action punishes men and white people. In fact, it is fundamentally racist because it assumes that white people are inherently racist and men are inherently sexist. Furthermore, it is offense to non-whites because it makes them feel like they need help to get ahead because they're not capable of it themselves.

Another problem is 'sensitive speech'. I prefer 'accurate speech'. African American for example, I dislike that term because for one thing, it denies the fact that American Blacks are a mix of European as well as African heritage, second, American Blacks have lived in the US for 400 years and now have little in common with people in Africa. Third, African-American as a term implies that they're only partly American, and the term "European American" is not used by most politically correct people - "white people" is still PC, but "black people" is not. Nothing is wrong with 'black' as a word, or 'white' - they're not perfectly accurate of course, but they work.

On the other hand, I'm totally in support of 'Native American' over 'Indian' because it's so much more accurate.

Another thing is Political Correctness gives hoax religions such as Scientology equal respect to well-established religions, and because it sees all cultures as equal no matter what, morality becomes totally relative, so people could even end up justifying things like cannibalism, and ironically, racism and sexism.

PC is essentially a Post-modernist rejection of everything Western. Not that Western society is perfect of course, but PC is a complete rejection of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2010, 09:53 AM

1,780 posts, read 2,351,832 times
This reminds me of a time I was in barns and noble in the history section. I saw books about the history of blacks, Hispanics, Asians, etc. But not one about white people. Then all of a sudden, I found it. "The history of white people." At first I thought it would be racist, but as it turns out, it wasn't. It was the history of the white people.

This made me think. Why is it that only white people can be racist? Go to any university and you will probably find a black only student group, asian only student group and so on. One you will probably never see is a white only student group. How is this not racism?

Its ok to have Black pride, Native pride, Asian pride, Hispanic pride, but white pride is wrong?

Now for a bit of unpolitical correctness. Right now I work in a mass transit center. I see all sorts of people all day long. But one group of people I see most are there all day and dont work. They hang out there all day long living off my tax dollars on welfare and disability. Everyone can see they are physically capable of working if they can spend 10+ hours walking around one building all day. But we as a society accept this, we let them do it. Why? Because it isnt PC to tell them off.

Worst part about it, they all act and dress alike. Guess what trends they fallow? The rap/gangsta lifestyle of wearing baggy clothes, goddy jewelry(bling), they all "fly there colors" (gang colors), and listen to rap. Its a good mix of ethnicity too. You have whites, blacks, asians, hispanics, and natives. They all fallow the black subculture. Nothing wrong with doing this, until they start committing crimes because its what the rap artists do.

I see and talk to lots of People of all ethnic groups who find these people offensive to their own race.

PC = Shut it white man, deal with it.

Old 12-11-2010, 10:14 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
You also have to be practical. There are some things you can say on an anonymous internet forum that you wouldn't say at a cocktail party.

Old 12-11-2010, 10:53 PM

4,272 posts, read 3,786,079 times
Political correctness is synonymous with group think and every group employs it in some way. It's a way of keeping the membership in line and reinforcing the orthodoxy. Group orthodoxy changes all of the time, but political correctness marches on.

Old 12-11-2010, 11:16 PM

1,791 posts, read 1,792,249 times
I completely disagree with PC. I call 'em as they are. Tough sh*t. Truth is truth no matter how one slices it. PC is nothing more than sugar coated crap. Even though you chocolate coat a turd, it's still a turd.

This country is unbelievably unreal.

Old 12-11-2010, 11:32 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,201,315 times
I thought it was okay to say black again? Idk, I do, and nobody seems to get their panties in a bunch.

Old 12-11-2010, 11:34 PM

Like February is still called "Black Heritage Month" or wait...did they change it to "African American Heritage Month?" I thought it was still the former...maybe I'm wrong.

Old 12-11-2010, 11:36 PM

And I don't believe they have changed it to "African American Friday" either....ok bad joke, I'll shut up now

Old 12-12-2010, 09:36 AM

13,778 posts, read 9,657,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fractured_kidult View Post
This reminds me of a time I was in barns and noble in the history section. I saw books about the history of blacks, Hispanics, Asians, etc. But not one about white people. Then all of a sudden, I found it. "The history of white people." At first I thought it would be racist, but as it turns out, it wasn't. It was the history of the white people.

This made me think. Why is it that only white people can be racist? Go to any university and you will probably find a black only student group, asian only student group and so on. One you will probably never see is a white only student group. How is this not racism?

Its ok to have Black pride, Native pride, Asian pride, Hispanic pride, but white pride is wrong?

Now for a bit of unpolitical correctness. Right now I work in a mass transit center. I see all sorts of people all day long. But one group of people I see most are there all day and dont work. They hang out there all day long living off my tax dollars on welfare and disability. Everyone can see they are physically capable of working if they can spend 10+ hours walking around one building all day. But we as a society accept this, we let them do it. Why? Because it isnt PC to tell them off.

Worst part about it, they all act and dress alike. Guess what trends they fallow? The rap/gangsta lifestyle of wearing baggy clothes, goddy jewelry(bling), they all "fly there colors" (gang colors), and listen to rap. Its a good mix of ethnicity too. You have whites, blacks, asians, hispanics, and natives. They all fallow the black subculture. Nothing wrong with doing this, until they start committing crimes because its what the rap artists do.

I see and talk to lots of People of all ethnic groups who find these people offensive to their own race.

PC = Shut it white man, deal with it.
Being PC isn't a law, it's an attitude or "state of mind". You are guarenteed the freedom by the constitution to speak your mind and label people anything you want. I suggest you go up to these people you rail against at the mass transit station and just tell them how you really feel. Wait till there's 5 or 6 of them in a group so you can educate the group as to your feelings rather than just one at a time. You might open the discussion with the tried and true term, "Boy" or the ever popular N!&&$r. This will let them know immediately that you are not a Politically Correct sheep and will stand up for your white rights to freely speak your mind. I'm sure you'll get a focused response from the group. It is always best to confront the source of your discomfort, directly, rather than whine on the internet about other people and their perceived foibles. Good luck.

Old 12-12-2010, 09:41 AM

968 posts, read 2,061,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
Being PC isn't a law, it's an attitude or "state of mind". You are guarenteed the freedom by the constitution to speak your mind and label people anything you want. I suggest you go up to these people you rail against at the mass transit station and just tell them how you really feel. Wait till there's 5 or 6 of them in a group so you can educate the group as to your feelings rather than just one at a time. You might open the discussion with the tried and true term, "Boy" or the ever popular N!&&$r. This will let them know immediately that you are not a Politically Correct sheep and will stand up for your white rights. I'm sure you'll get a focused response from the group. It is always best to confront the source of your discomfort, directly, rather than whine on the internet about other people and their perceived foibles. Good luck.
+1 for good solution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies