Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2010, 03:20 AM

44,256 posts, read 64,181,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkiel View Post
Of course hard work is important, but most of the rich are also very lucky. You need luck AND hard-work to be rich. The problem with setting taxes is that people just assume that the rich's wealth is proportional to their effort. I don't think that's true. I think it's more like after a certain amount of effort, you need luck to be super successful.

That's why I think the rich needs to have more taxes. It accounts for the luck factor.

The book Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell talks a lot about how people become successful.

If that's what you got out of the book (which was pretty good, IMO), then you need to read it again.

And what does 'having luck' have to do with paying taxes? Now there's a LUCK tax? Man, you dems...

Btw, luck favors the prepared.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2010, 06:47 AM

3,566 posts, read 3,725,106 times
Quote:
Of course hard work is important, but most of the rich are also very lucky. You need luck AND hard-work to be rich. The problem with setting taxes is that people just assume that the rich's wealth is proportional to their effort. I don't think that's true. I think it's more like after a certain amount of effort, you need luck to be super successful.

That's why I think the rich needs to have more taxes. It accounts for the luck factor.

The book Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell talks a lot about how people become successful.
The issue is not whether wealth was accumulated by hard work or luck or a combination of the two. Rather, the issue is whether it was earned honestly or not. If it was earned honestly then there is no moral basis for punishing people because of their success. And that is precisely what the graduated income tax is--punishment.

Old 12-13-2010, 07:11 AM

31,288 posts, read 20,670,325 times
Quote:

You are correct about needing luck. Everyone needs some luck to succeed in life. You are lucky if you are born healthy. You are lucky if you are born in the USA rather than in Zimbabwe. You are lucky if you don't get killed in a car wreck. etc. etc.

But high income people already pay more in income taxes than poor people. In fact, they pay more in one year than many people will pay in their lifetime.

Old 12-13-2010, 07:18 AM

4,209 posts, read 3,581,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
You are correct about needing luck. Everyone needs some luck to succeed in life. You are lucky if you are born healthy. You are lucky if you are born in the USA rather than in Zimbabwe. You are lucky if you don't get killed in a car wreck. etc. etc.

But high income people already pay more in income taxes than poor people. In fact, they pay more in one year than many people will pay in their lifetime.

Exactly!!!

Old 12-13-2010, 07:19 AM

25,956 posts, read 24,652,970 times
The absolute amount of taxes doesn't matter. If a rich person paid 50% and a lower middle-class person paid just 10%, the rich person is still a heck of a lot better off. It's 50% of a whole lot vs 10% of very little.

My brother recently told me about his pay raise and he complained about taxes. So I asked him if he doesn't feel a bit ridiculous telling me about that when he earns almost as much per month as I earn per year. He shut up pretty fast

Old 12-13-2010, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post

My brother recently told me about his pay raise and he complained about taxes. So I asked him if he doesn't feel a bit ridiculous telling me about that when he earns almost as much per month as I earn per year. He shut up pretty fast
Probably because he realized he was talking to an envious, kooky, class-warfare waging so-and-so.

Old 12-13-2010, 07:28 AM

25,956 posts, read 24,652,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Probably because he realized he was talking to an envious, kooky, class-warfare waging so-and-so.
Nah, because he realized I was absolutely right. He knows I don't think much of the way he lives his life. Nor am I envious, I deliberately don't work more than I have to to make ends meet. He works, I live

Old 12-13-2010, 07:29 AM

Quote:
The absolute amount of taxes doesn't matter. If a rich person paid 50% and a lower middle-class person paid just 10%, the rich person is still a heck of a lot better off. It's 50% of a whole lot vs 10% of very little.

You are joking right? You just made the most ridiculous statements I have read in a long time.

SO WHAT if 50% of a whole lot is 'better' than 10% of very little? That is called life! Get over your jealousy of the 'rich.' We are not a country of robots with everyone making the same and living the same lifestyle nor should we be. This is just crap that people actually feel that way.

It is not fair to tax people whom others feel make more money on a higher rate. Period. The only reason libs are crying for this is so they can find a source to fund their ridiculous entitlement programs.

Your brother should not feel ridiculous complaining about high taxes on his new raise and shame on you if you made him feel that way.

Petty jealousy from those wanting more is really starting to make me sick.

Old 12-13-2010, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post

Exactly!!

Old 12-13-2010, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Nah, because he realized I was absolutely right. He knows I don't think much of the way he lives his life. Nor am I envious, I deliberately don't work more than I have to to make ends meet. He works, I live
Good. Work more so you can pay more taxes. I mean, that's y'all's favorite thing, right? Giving the government more money. Why don't you give them more instead of insisting the rest of us do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies