Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 12:12 PM

3,564 posts, read 5,521,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by normalguy View Post
I was hoping that the weak dollar would result in increased exports for
the US economy resulting in a reduction in trade deficits. Imagine my
surprise when I saw this:

Trade Deficit Up Significantly: Financial News - Yahoo! Finance (broken link)

It seems that we are importing so much oil (and boatloads of opium
from china) that it does not matter what we export, we are still
in the red.

Can you please stop hurting my country with your hummer?
I love getting hummers....even the trucks are pretty good too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2009, 12:18 PM

5,562 posts, read 5,691,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normalguy View Post
I was hoping that the weak dollar would result in increased exports for
the US economy resulting in a reduction in trade deficits. Imagine my
surprise when I saw this:

Trade Deficit Up Significantly: Financial News - Yahoo! Finance (broken link)

It seems that we are importing so much oil (and boatloads of opium
from china) that it does not matter what we export, we are still
in the red.

Can you please stop hurting my country with your hummer?
Stop hurting my country by tells every american what they can and can't buy. Would you should do is complain to congress and stop telling them bailout the auto industry that made the hummer in the first place and then blame for the managed trade deals we have with mexico and canada and china. Then tell them to stop spending your tax dollars on payments to the oil companies for keeping them green and or whatever else they are doing. Then most importantly remember the government makes the most of every gallon of gas sold because of the gas tax, you want to talk about profits look at who makes the most of gas and oil then anyone else. THE GOVERNMENT. The only one destroy the country is usually the government first and the deals they made with china to bring in walmart goods from china so they could keep printing the fake money we keep bailing out others with. At least the car company employees people, and oil company employees people and walmart employees people. What does the government do, besides steal your money and start wars they can't finish.

Old 03-18-2009, 12:41 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,975,479 times
Please send a check to pay your share for the roiadway maintainance that is be ruined by your small car that doesn't pay enough roadway taxes because it is paid thru fuel taxes.i favor actaul usage taxes that would ahve epople pay that use more and even lower fuel usage more.Afterall if a person as a SUV and drives 5000 miles a year and a person having a vehicle that gets twice the milegae drives 1000 they come out equal but eh one that drives 10000 put twice the wear on teh roadways.

Old 03-18-2009, 08:03 PM

3,106 posts, read 7,383,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
Whew, tell us how you really feel about this.

Actually, although I am a free enterprise, pro-business kind of guy, I have some sympathies for your concern about fuel usage. I am not in favor of terminating these vehicles, but a surtax of 3-5% of purchase price for vehicles with a combined EPA mileage of below 25 MPG would be OK with me, with the pool of money redistributed as a 3-5% tax credit of the purchase price for vehicles with a combined EPA mileage above 40 MPG.
What about all the companies that have to have pick-up trucks for their business. Hubby has a heavy construction company and a fleet of pick-ups which are necessary-- most often necessary so the employees can get up the mountains etc to job sites in places a car would never make it.

Please - not another business tax.

Old 03-18-2009, 08:13 PM

27,625 posts, read 21,165,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBrown View Post
Before you knock it you should try a Hummer. It might take your mind off things you have no control over.

A friend of mine recently got one and he swears by it.

Some of the smaller SUV's actually get good MPG.
Your mileage may vary,
They are the ugliest vehicles I have ever seen, especially when they are in bright colors. Funny that you say your friend has one. I stopped talking to a friend of mine recently when he bought one as I felt that he was a hypocrite. He would talk about his love of Native American culture and the way they looked at nature in a healthier way. I wish him well, but I lost respect because he talked the talk but didn't walk the walk. Not for anything, but I have never seen good looking guy at the wheel of a Hummer. They are usually kind of small and dorky and appear to be using the vehicle to get attention that they would not get otherwise. No offense to your friend, but that is my impression of a Hummer and their owners.

Old 03-18-2009, 08:24 PM

20 posts, read 56,747 times
yawn...

Old 03-18-2009, 08:24 PM

2,788 posts, read 8,024,983 times
I'm assuming the OP doesn't live in a rural northern clime where you have to drive your own trash to the dump 10 miles away in a driving snowstorm. Try to do that in your Prius.

Old 03-18-2009, 08:28 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,711,098 times
I'm a happy Hummer owner. Also gay. Also a Democrat.

The demonization of Hummers just makes me love them even more, so keep on hatin'!.

Old 03-18-2009, 10:25 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,304,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
They are the ugliest vehicles I have ever seen, especially when they are in bright colors. Funny that you say your friend has one. I stopped talking to a friend of mine recently when he bought one as I felt that he was a hypocrite. He would talk about his love of Native American culture and the way they looked at nature in a healthier way. I wish him well, but I lost respect because he talked the talk but didn't walk the walk. Not for anything, but I have never seen good looking guy at the wheel of a Hummer. They are usually kind of small and dorky and appear to be using the vehicle to get attention that they would not get otherwise. No offense to your friend, but that is my impression of a Hummer and their owners.
We own 3 SUV's - 2 Volvo XC90's and a Ford Expedition. We love them all.

Old 03-18-2009, 10:39 PM

1,030 posts, read 1,455,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
Yes, because most Americans have a need for that sort of thing.

Actually we switched from a Nissan SUV to a minivan and the sheer amount more room in the minivan is STAGGERING, especially with 3 kids. You take the seats out and it's like a cargo van, and it gets much better gas mileage.
I'm pretty sure it doesn't have as much room as my expediton EL limited!!!
If I make enough money to fill the tank, what's the problem???

Oh, by the way, I just traded in my crappy nissan altima (25 mpg) for a grand prix that got a wopping 20 mpg the first tank. Woo-hoo!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies