Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2016, 06:01 PM

30,108 posts, read 18,712,684 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by normalguy View Post
I was hoping that the weak dollar would result in increased exports for
the US economy resulting in a reduction in trade deficits. Imagine my
surprise when I saw this:

Trade Deficit Up Significantly: Financial News - Yahoo! Finance (broken link)

It seems that we are importing so much oil (and boatloads of opium
from china) that it does not matter what we export, we are still
in the red.

Can you please stop hurting my country with your hummer?
I drive a Silverado pickup every day to work (ditched my caddies when they stopped manual transmissions.

I have five hot rods, all of which have 600+ HP. I rev the engines at the stoplights to burn more gas. All get about 4-5 milles per gallon.

I burn about a ton of organic material every week on my farm.

I keep the temp at 70 degrees in the winter and 68 in the summer on my farm, which is only occupied 8 hrs per week, to keep my cats comfortable. I keep the temps in my house at 76 in the winter and 68 in the summer.

I keep all of the lights on in my house and farm, 24/7.

I run my tractors 8 hrs every week, whether they are needed for work or not.

Why do I do all of these things? Because it pisses off liberals and global warming is BS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2016, 07:28 PM

7,493 posts, read 6,279,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
I don't think you'll find a single person who has a problem with someone using a truck when there is legitimate need. What I don't like is seeing someone in a vehicle that's measured in gallons/mile, instead of miles/gallon, and they're driving to the grocery store, or commuting to work, alone. That's so incredibly wasteful. And while I would NEVER support government intervention, I do hope that the focus of our society moves away from such obscene wastefulness.

We should definitely spend more time studying John Stuart Mill and Utilitarianism, as a society. This country only adopted half of his philosphy, the militant individualism, but didn't adopt the self-regulating portion of his philosophy.
I've driven some fairly heavy vehicles(tractor/trailer rig) and I have not driven one that gets gallons per mile.
Please name this vehicle .

Old 01-15-2016, 07:41 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,927,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
I've driven some fairly heavy vehicles(tractor/trailer rig) and I have not driven one that gets gallons per mile.
Please name this vehicle .
Agreed.

Old 01-15-2016, 07:56 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,253,111 times
I drive trains. Mile long monsters with distributed power. Burning bunker oil I got four engines up front, one in the middle and three on the rear. Stick the throttle in notch 8 going up a grade and I will turn day into night with the exhaust.

Old 01-15-2016, 08:28 PM

22,673 posts, read 24,650,273 times
Most people will drive what they want.......even if/when gas goes to 5 bucks a gallon.

Established technology exists to make a car, probably a subcompact, that gets 80mpg, easily. But guess what, 40k for a subcompact that people will not buy.....not happen.

Hummers, monster-trucks and other land-yachts will always be around......and lots of people will buy them.

Old 01-15-2016, 08:34 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,970,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
I drive a Silverado pickup every day to work (ditched my caddies when they stopped manual transmissions.

I have five hot rods, all of which have 600+ HP. I rev the engines at the stoplights to burn more gas. All get about 4-5 milles per gallon.

I burn about a ton of organic material every week on my farm.

I keep the temp at 70 degrees in the winter and 68 in the summer on my farm, which is only occupied 8 hrs per week, to keep my cats comfortable. I keep the temps in my house at 76 in the winter and 68 in the summer.

I keep all of the lights on in my house and farm, 24/7.

I run my tractors 8 hrs every week, whether they are needed for work or not.

Why do I do all of these things? Because it pisses off liberals and global warming is BS.
No you don't.

Old 01-16-2016, 09:17 AM

50,467 posts, read 47,192,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
No you don't.
Correct. Tractors are usually ran 8 hours per day, not week. Probably a typo.

Old 01-16-2016, 11:37 AM

15,109 posts, read 8,661,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
Wow, a pro-business guy who's for redistribution of wealth. What a concept!

That's actually not a bad idea. Or maybe use the credits toward covering the premium for hybrid technology. Or put it toward better mass transit or car-pool/HOV lanes.
There is one slight problem with such ideas .... That is, the collector of the taxes has long ago proven complete incompentence, irresponsibility and unbridled corruption in the disposition of taxes collected from the other hundreds of sources being used to bleed the public dry. So why would anyone expect that another tax would be used appropriately, or better yet, why would anyone embrace MORE TAXES, when we are already being taken to the cleaners now?

To be brutally blunt, much of this stems from the obnoxious, authoritarian mindset endemic of liberals who claim to know what's best for everyone else without actually bothering to consider, in this case, why someone might have a legitimate need for a truck or SUV. Of course, the more fundamental flaw is actually believing one has the authority to make such arbitrary decisions for others in the first place.

Truthfully, here in Texas, you'll have a hard time finding a pickup truck with a pristine bed that looks unused, or one without a receiver to haul a trailer. Those who spend the significant additional expense of purchasing a $40,000+ pickup instead of a compact car at half the cost actually REQUIRE the capabilities of that vehicle in the vast majority of cases. Nevertheless, it isn't anyone else's business to decide such things, nor is it legitimate to impose a penalty (tax) upon someone under the extremely flawed idea that such a penalty would discourage the purchase of a type of vehicle that is actually needed. All the this would accomplish is adding an additional expense, rather than reduce the use.

Frankly, taxes are much more a tool of control and theft, than a solution to problems. This probably explains why we have such massive debt, massive deficits, and GROWING PROBLEMS.

I know this is hard to grasp for the urban city dweller who lives in a small apartment 12 blocks from their place of business, but not everyone can take the bus.

The "tax it to death, or ban it" solution to every problem so embraced by liberals doesn't work. If it did, we wouldn't have any problems left to "solve".

The reality is, each attempt to solve problems in such misguided ways only tends to create more problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies