Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2010, 09:17 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,205,540 times

Advertisements

If you don't want to tip, don't eat out. It is that simple.

You say tipping is ridiculous? What about being paid $2.83/hr..isn't that ridiculous?

Either tip the appropriate amount or stay inside and cook for yourself. No one is forcing you to tip, but no one is forcing you to eat out either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2010, 09:21 AM

8,806 posts, read 6,110,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubyanumberone View Post

Question for everyone. I just moved and plan on furnishing my apartment with new furniture... couch, dresser, bedroom set... the works. Every place I've gone to charges a delivery fee (I'm NOT lugging this stuff up to the third floor). Do I need to tip the delivery guys if I'm already paying a $50 delivery fee?
Considering it's the third floor, I would. I would say maybe $20 extra. You can never be sure where the delivery fee is going. If it was the first floor, I would say no way and whatever they're getting paid is fine, but third floor, up stairs...yeah.

Old 12-13-2010, 09:22 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,321,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
The ethical and responsible thing is to report it. I didn't report mine for awhile and then I realized, duh, I want to buy a house one day so I need to start reporting it. They ask for two years of tax returns when you try to get a mortgage loan so I needed to report it to prove my income. You also need to prove income to buy a car and that kind of thing. It's advantageous to report all income, even if you do have to pay more in taxes. You also set more aside for SS if you do this, although at my age, I'm not exactly holding my breath on getting any return on what I paid in.
That's why I always lied my tips UP to the IRS. Pay the tax on the unearned income, and improve your status with the banks.

Old 12-13-2010, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
If you don't want to tip, don't eat out. It is that simple.

You say tipping is ridiculous? What about being paid $2.83/hr..isn't that ridiculous?

Either tip the appropriate amount or stay inside and cook for yourself. No one is forcing you to tip, but no one is forcing you to eat out either.
You wouldn't find many good pole-dancers at $2.83 an hour without tips.

Old 12-13-2010, 09:26 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,745,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
In Florida, tips are counted as normal income. Unless, of course, you're not claiming it. Which is fraud. Oh, wait, you're in Europe, again, apples and oranges. I do know that in many EU countries, tips are included as part of the bill or wages are paid by the restaurant, so tipping is more rare there. I can see why you would think that, but again, you are speaking on an American issue here, and you don't really know what you're talking about.

Also, if servers/drivers are not claiming enough tips, the store has to pay it out of payroll to make them earn at least minimum wage. In 99.9% of cases, when this happens, it is b/c they are not claiming their tips, not b/c they're not making enough money. I never understood why managers let people get away with that.
Ignoring your personal remarks, it is absolutely OK in my view if the restaurant or whatever has to pay the difference out of payroll. But thanks to your exaggerated competition companies can't or don't want to pay the minimum wage to begin with, expecting the customer to do it for them. Although I don't find that a good situation, I think they should at least stop expecting customers to tip (by making them feel bad if they don't) and include the expected tip in the price of the service right from the start, so it is no longer optional.

Old 12-13-2010, 09:31 AM

11,431 posts, read 19,000,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
I don't tip on pizza if there's a delivery charge. I know for a fact the delivery person gets a large percentage of that charge, so I consider that the tip.

I don't tip if all I'm doing is getting a drink (unless it's at a bar). I don't tip at fast food.

At Christmas, I don't tip my postman, regardless of what some Yahoo article tells me I should - hell, he's got a better retirement plan than I do. I don't tip the garbageman, the maid at the hotel, the front desk clerk, the barber, the paper delivery person, my dog groomer, the gardener, the UPS guy, the skycap at the airport, etc. I don't care what some "manners consultant" in New York tells me I should do.

When I lived in New York, I would always make a point to take care of my doorman, but that's because he always made a point to take care of me. There's some quid pro quo there. All he ever HAD to do was hail cabs and open doors for me. What he DID do included hauling packages up to my apartment, getting concert tickets for me, making late night food runs for me, etc. I tip my masseuse because I don't feel she charges enough. I tip concierge services when I go to Vegas or New York because if I approach them, it's because I have something unusual which caused me to request their services. I don't tip the bellhop - that's what he's there for.
the pizza delivery guy may get some of the delivery charge paid to him, but please do keep in mind that he's using his own car and gas, which results in wear and tear on his car. Standard IRS deduction is now about 55 cents per mile, isn't it? when I worked for mr gatti's in 84, we received minimum wage + tips + 75 cents per delivery as "auto expense". The average tip was $1. Naturally, I preferred deliveries that were close to the store so that I could "keep" more of the mileage allowance. My heart goes out those delivery guys and I tip them well in the rare times where I have them deliver.

Old 12-13-2010, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsm113 View Post
Why is tipping such an emotional issue? I was in a restaurant with a friend a few days ago. Service was aweful, so I wanted to leave zero tip. My friend looks at me like I just killed someone. She said ALWAYS give a tip. But why?! The waitress obviously had a bad attitude, and did her job poorly. What about this situation makes her deserve a tip?

The absolute WORST place to tip in my opinion, are clubs. It seems bartenders there have an extreme sense of entitlement coupled with a bad attitude. I love writing in zero's on the bartabs in those cases.
Yes. I agree 100%. why should these people (who often get their jobs based on looks alone) receive so much for merely pouring a beer? If they give you free drinks, that's an entirely different thing.

Old 12-13-2010, 09:36 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
My wife and I tip quite generously because we have relativly low bills. We rarely buy alcohol at restruants to keep costs down. After a while we are familiar customers and recieve very good service.

Old 12-13-2010, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
I don't believe it's right to expect a tip at a drive-through window, either, as a matter of principle. Our local Starbucks has had their tip jar out for a couple of years now and although we go there 2-3 times a week I've yet to put a single penny in. At sit-down restaurants we tip 20%-25%. The latter at momma-poppy places and 20% at chains and high-end places.
why do you tip so much at the sit-down resturants? are they giving you a free lap dance?

Old 12-13-2010, 09:38 AM

I never heard of anyone tipping their mother.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies