Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2010, 11:20 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,917,108 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821;16978021.......[U
You are basically saying these people are the lowest of the low and don't deserve your respect, much less your money. Perhaps you should remember that everyone has to start somewhere, that cashier may become an owner one day.[/u] You being a jerk to them just makes their skin thicker and makes them all that much more determined to move up.
Project much?

Bull feathers. What I am saying by not tipping at: fast food, carry out, dry cleaners, and such, is that their employer should be paying them and not expecting the customer to make up the wage gap with tips for minimal service required to sell the product. If they don't like not getting tipped then move to a type of work that does not require the customer to voluntarily make up the wage gap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2010, 11:20 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times
It's one thing to quietly not leave a tip when picking up a pizza, but making a show of writing in a big fat zero is a bit rude.

Old 12-12-2010, 11:26 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Project much?

Bull feathers. What I am saying by not tipping at: fast food, carry out, dry cleaners, and such, is that their employer should be paying them and not expecting the customer to make up the wage gap with tips for minimal service required to sell the product.
It does get ridiculous. At our fish processing plant, we do a fair amount of custom processing for sports fishermen who bring their catch in to be smoked, and a couple of years ago, they started leaving tips for some weird reason...no tip jar out of course. I think that one of the employees was applying pressure in the way of not so subtle hints. We let her go, and some of them do continue to insist on tipping, but I use that money for something to benefit all the employees, such as ordering out for pizza (and we do tip the driver).

Old 12-12-2010, 11:29 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,377,473 times
If you don't want to tip someone, or feel that their work is subpar, then don't tip.

I've seen tip jars just about everywhere now. Its a sign of the economic conditions we are under. Companies are paying less and less, causing workers to try and get a little extra from tips.

Personally, I tip well when I receive service I feel is worthy of my money. I don't tip at a restaurant when I'm getting the buffet. What, you're bringing me a drink, and I'm supposed to tip you 15% of the cost of the meal? I don't think so. How about 15% of the cost of the drink?

If I'm going through a fast food line, I'm not tipping the person at the window. Waitresses work for tips, fast food pays minimum wage at least.

Old 12-12-2010, 11:39 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,917,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
It's one thing to quietly not leave a tip when picking up a pizza, but making a show of writing in a big fat zero is a bit rude.
No, if you've paid with a credit card it is filling in the space on the ticket so that they cannot add to the bill after you've left. I never leave it to question, just like never leaving a blank line on a contract or writing a blank check. I draw a line out rather than a zero, same message.

Old 12-12-2010, 12:08 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,659,127 times
It is ridiculous - I agree. I avoid tipping as much as I reasonably can. You have to be brave sometimes, though, and not be afraid of getting a dirty look. My latest "accomplishment" in the world of tipping is that I've stopped tipping at the car wash. I feel like I already pay enough for the service.

The entire tipping system is a ripoff for everyone except employers. Employers are basically just depending on the public to make up part of the wages that they're too cheap and stingy to pay their own employees. In my ideal world, there would be no tipping expected anywhere. Everyone would be paid a regular wage or salary without having to rely on tips.

Old 12-12-2010, 12:21 PM

6,734 posts, read 9,338,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Tipping is ridiculous. When I went to pick up my pizza, I wrote a big fat zero with a line crossed through it indicating no tip and the cashier gave me a dirty look.
Why would you want to insult some minimum wage cashier?

Old 12-12-2010, 12:24 PM

4,160 posts, read 5,618,277 times
I agree I don't tip people who are making minimum wage-I think it's over the top-When I go out to dinner, the waitstaff may make what 4.00 an hour if that? So yes I tip-but I agree it's a little over the top but I just ignore the tip jars....

Old 12-12-2010, 12:24 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,107,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Yes and how does that statement contradict the one I stated later? So writing a zero with a line crossed through it is making a scene? Please explain how that is the case? Again, why don't you specifically point out how I back pedaled? You are trying to dig yourself out of a situation after you over-read my post and made several assumptions.

And the lesson you should learn from the Starbucks employee is that it is your job to provide good service regardless if you receive tips and it isn't your position to give attitude if you fail to receive a tip particularly in a situation where it is unwarranted such as picking up pizza.
I don't give attitude, not sure why you would think that. As I said, I don't work for tips now (still don't give attitude) but when I did, obviously my service was good because I made more then enough to live off of. You, sir, are the one making ASSumptions.

You previously stated that the Starbucks people do not deserve tips b/c the drinks are overpriced anyway. One has nothing to do with the other, but now you are backpedaling by saying that they can have tips for providing good service, although that is already required of them.

You backpedaled b/c you made it quite obvious in your first post that you were pissy that the cashier would expect a tip. Don't you see how the cashier would have picked up on your hostility? Don't you see that that kind of attitude and scribbling a fat zero with a line through it makes your anger obvious? You're taking it out on the employee when it has nothing to do with them. I'm not trying to dig my way out of anything, I believe you have the facts backward.

You need to make your mind up before going off on a public rant. The bottom line is that if you don't want to tip, you don't have to. But don't shoot the messenger in the process.

Old 12-12-2010, 12:29 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,837,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
No, if you've paid with a credit card it is filling in the space on the ticket so that they cannot add to the bill after you've left. I never leave it to question, just like never leaving a blank line on a contract or writing a blank check. I draw a line out rather than a zero, same message.
Exactly - writing in a zero with a line is what cc companies/banks recommend - would you leave the amount section of a check blank? come on already.

Having been brought up in a country where servers (etc) wages aren't subsidised by the customer I understand tipping those people, but no, I won't tip anyone that's getting paid over minimum unless their service is above and beyond (eg the coffee house barista that ALWAYS remembers my favourite order)

Does an office worker get a tip for helping you with your insurance coverage etc etc? I think not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies