Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 08:36 AM

1,377 posts, read 1,051,577 times

Advertisements

Russia may be preparing for the collapse of the US. They understand that even superpowers can fall when stretched too far. Plus we are following in their footsteps. The USSR's last stand was in Afghanistan after all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2010, 10:26 AM

25,956 posts, read 24,675,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
I wouldn't dismiss the threat to us quite so lightly just yet. IF reports of Iranian missles coming to Venezuela are correct (and I suspect they are), never forget that Iran does have missles which will reach us and has access to even longer range ones through their dealings with North Korea and Russia, neither of which are our friends. Just because reports only mention shorter range missles doesn't mean we might not wake up one morning and find better ones in place.
Well, but the US is much farther away, so there is a much broader time window for intercepting anything that might come north. I assume the US has some defense systems oriented in that direction, not just towards Russia and China

Old 12-13-2010, 10:29 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,182,754 times
Shrug. How did all those anti-aircraft missiles work out for Saddam? I believe his were also of Russian manufacture. Let Chavez waste his money defending against a threat that does not exist.

Old 12-13-2010, 03:33 PM

1,263 posts, read 2,328,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
I wouldn't dismiss the threat to us quite so lightly just yet. IF reports of Iranian missles coming to Venezuela are correct (and I suspect they are), never forget that Iran does have missles which will reach us and has access to even longer range ones through their dealings with North Korea and Russia, neither of which are our friends. Just because reports only mention shorter range missles doesn't mean we might not wake up one morning and find better ones in place.
Yes, the Iranian nuts now have ballistic missiles that have Europe in range from Iran. Those same missiles can go from Venezuela to the US.

According to the DOD, Iran will have ICBM's (nuclear capable) by 2015, meaning the US will be in range of missiles fired from Iran.

Old 12-13-2010, 04:39 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,491,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Well, but the US is much farther away, so there is a much broader time window for intercepting anything that might come north. I assume the US has some defense systems oriented in that direction, not just towards Russia and China

Why would you assume that? We don't HAVE an interceptor capability from ANY direction except Patriot batteries stationed at some CONUS posts and whatever ships happen to be on the horizon. Even then, the capabilities are extremely limited, even with forewarning.

Old 12-14-2010, 06:04 AM

11,135 posts, read 14,169,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
And yet left leaners expect us to sigh that START treaty which will make them the winners. I just can't understand how people in this country can continue to want our government to give in to Russia time after time.
Yes, the United States, the WORLDS LARGEST ARMS DEALER hates competition. Anti-aircraft missiles, like this would stop us from invading or attacking if we wanted?

I'd suggest we go to war right now but sadly, every pro-war gutless keyboard commando rambo with a bum knee is sitting on a forum telling everyone else how they should go over there to fight.

What exactly does this have to do with the conditions of the START treaty anyway? Are the Ruski's going to attack, is this 1950's McCarthy era booga booga red menace garbage again?

Old 12-15-2010, 09:25 AM

633 posts, read 1,946,556 times
I think a good question is has he resold any?

Old 12-15-2010, 09:42 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,856,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Venezuela's business. Why in the hell should any American care about what Venezuela, and by extension, Chavez, does with their own money? Last i remember, it's a sovereign nation. Must we stick our noses in everybodys business?
No, go ahead and stick your head back into the sand. Don't pay attention to what is going on around the world. Meditate and drown out the real world by singing kumbya very loudly.

Old 12-15-2010, 09:43 AM

41,478 posts, read 59,660,138 times
Venezuela could use them to protect themselves from CIA operated FARC operations in Columbia.

Concerning Iranian weaponry they do not need a nuclear capacity except to provide a means of effectively retaliating against a US attack and invasion. Since WW2 this country has NOT invaded any country with nuclear weapons. Frustratingly for our warmongers MAD actually works. We are deterred from invading these countries. That is a good thing.

I think we would be taking on a much more difficult war if we attack/invade Iran. I believe they now, using terminally guided missiles, have the ability to eliminate the US Navy from the Indian Ocean to the Eastern Mediterranean Sea. All our war ships in the Persian Gulf would be lost early in any conflict. I suggest we leave this sleeping tiger alone.

IMHO the continuing existence of the Likkud Party in Israel or the Saudi Royals is not worth our attacking Iran. I see no gain in getting involved on either side of the inevitable factional religious war between the Shia and Sunni branches of Islam.

Old 12-15-2010, 09:44 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,856,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
..........What exactly does this have to do with the conditions of the START treaty anyway? Are the Ruski's going to attack, is this 1950's McCarthy era booga booga red menace garbage again?
You can dislike McCarthy but history has proven he was absolutely correct about Communists in the US Government.

Do you not see a potential problem with Dictator Chavez arming up given the sentiments he's expressed against the US?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies