Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2010, 09:05 AM

8,806 posts, read 6,107,072 times

Advertisements

[mod cut-- quoting deleted post]
I was not the one who called you out on your use of the term "boyfriend," although I did add one line to my original post to you regarding your statements about his 401k. I don't care what you call him, I was calling you out on the way you were bragging and the way you keep changing your story about the 401k and about the money you/he has. Not being able to get your story straight makes your credibility suspect.

You don't know me so your statement about chewing me up is absurd and egotistical.

I apologize if you were offended by my comment about the 401k but you honestly need to get your story straight if you want people to believe you here. You really have not been sticking to the topic, which has gotten several others of us off topic as well, and it is hijacking the thread.

Goodbye, congrats on your engagement.

I find is amusing that people get so upset with me but when others say the same things or worse, they are given a pass.

Last edited by observer53; 12-17-2010 at 09:24 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2010, 09:09 AM

8,806 posts, read 6,107,072 times
[mod cut-- quoting and responding to deleted post]
I'm not going to clarify my views for you or anyone else on this topic again, you are choosing to ignore everything I have said and insert "I hate all poor people, they are all scumbags who do drugs and are lazy!" If you can't take the time to read what I've said and address the topic at hand, perhaps you should stay off the thread.

Personal attacks are against the TOS, perhaps you should take a minute and refresh your memory.

My age has nothing to do with anything here.

Last edited by observer53; 12-17-2010 at 09:25 AM..

Old 12-17-2010, 09:22 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,394,564 times
Enough of the personal attacks and name calling. Keep the thread on topic, and avoid making it personal, please, or it will be closed. Thanks.

Old 12-17-2010, 09:35 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,229,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebelt1234 View Post
Hey, if I had the cash to get to another state, I would move TOMORROW. My unemployment check can't easily finance a move because it is a measely $265 a week. If I were making like $400 a week, I would have had my bags packed a long, long time ago and stayed in one of those extended stays until I found a job.

For people on unemployment from AZ, FL, TN, GA, MS moving isn't so easy because your check is so small you can't pay the bills. The states I mentioned pay less than $275 a week in unemployment.

I am trying to find work from out of state right now. If I find a job, I may just put the move on a credit card or something.
You could easily get by on that amount in either Phoenix or Vegas. I live on just under $900 a month in Vegas and I have my own apartment ($365) and car. I would go with Phoenix as the UE rate is lower there.

Old 12-17-2010, 04:48 PM

1,869 posts, read 1,092,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
There is a difference between a system that allows and almost encourages abuse, and asking for a temporary hand up while you get back on your feet. I am not against the latter, which is why I support a cap on all types of welfare.

People who put words in my mouth need to grow up.
And how many years have you worked in that "welfare system" so that you might have an opportunity to know first-hand how it works?

Additionally, do you have any statistics to back up your assertion that the system is "abused" and what are the percentages in terms of people who abuse the system and people who don't?

If you don't have any reliable data, then you're only repeating basically gossip, and your certainty about the system being abused more than being used honestly is based simply on just anecdotal "evidence." Put up some evidence, or please remember to add to your statements that it is simply YOUR BELIEF that the system "almost encocurages abuse"....Also you should be able to tell us exactly how much money is wasted in the welfare system by people abusing it, and exactly what percentage of our TOTAL GOVT BUDGET that "waste" really is. When you can provide that information, you may gain some credibility in this discussion.

One other thing. Did your parents or grandparents grow up in Cuba and did they come to this country as refugees after the Cuban Revolution? If so, you might want to take a look at that history and explain to us WHY our government provided financial help to the Cuban refuges, and whether or not you think that was a "hand out"..............in other words, do you have relatives who accepted a "hand out" from our government, from the taxpayers of this country?

Old 12-18-2010, 03:57 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,012,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMcQ LV View Post
Riiiiight. And how would you say he should pay for that education? Or did you not know that education costs money? Money that, because he has no job, he also doesn't have.
There are fnancial aid programs available for those who lack the finances to fund an education if he desires to go back to school. I do feel that the poster you were responding to is just clueless about the current situation where the average job seeker is up against 100+ people vying for the same jobs. I wish your friend the best in locating work as I realize how demoralizing it is to be long-term unemployed.

Old 12-18-2010, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
its not mean spirited, its the truth

99weeks that's 2 years,

sorry but if you cant find a job in 2 years, something is wrong

you can get an assosiates degree in LESS than 2 years...and on the government's dime...or if you already have one, you can get another, of a bachalors

between all the grants and scholarships that clinton and bush set up, and the bush credit for tuition, and obama expanding them, it is so easy to go to school, ESPECIALLY for the currently unemployeed

jobs are out there, you might not get the exact job you want but they are out there, yhou might have to move, but people who actually WANT a job will do that (you go where the work is)

no we dont directly...the companies and corpotartions do, you as an individual dont

not if it was as it was originally intended, but in many cases now yes it is...btw the INDIVIDUAL does pay into SS, but NOT into UE

even the obama admin has just put out there are over 3.5 million jobs WAITING for people
I just wish to address the bolded ... As more and more people are flooding our community colleges, it has been challenging for students to get the classes that they need especially the new students who have low priority in registration. The public universities (at least in my state) have been faced with budget cuts and have been limiting enrollment so it isn't as easy to receive an education as some might think and the obstacles isn't just the money involved. Just wanted to clear that up.

Old 12-18-2010, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
I think part of the problem is some arent willing to take jobs that they feel are beneath them.

With the amount of people we have unemployed and with the amount of jobs available there really shouldnt be 1 job opening anywhere
The number of unemployed far exceeds the available vacancies.

Old 12-18-2010, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
More students = more money for the school
Public universities rely on funding from the state and not just the tuition received from students. California state's budget is a mess and education received big cuts, thus less students are able to be admitted.

Quote:
Stafford loans are guaranteed and can't be withheld, they are easy to obtain.
You have to QUALIFY for a Stafford loan ... they don't just award those willy nilly. What about folks who already have a Bachelors degree and cannot find work. Good luck in getting financial aid as I've tried while in grad school. Fortunately, I was able to scrap up the money to pay my tuition as I was working full-time during that time.

Quote:
Community college can't discriminate. And if you're just starting, you need a ton of classes.
Priority registration goes towards students that have accumulated the most units as they have limited course options to select from to complete their degrees. A new student is often given the lowest priority as they "technically-speaking" have more course options to select from. New students often have difficulties getting the specific classes that they need and some are forced to enroll less than full-time due to lack of course availability.

Quote:
Then I guess it's a good thing that the government puts the money in your student account before the deadline.
That's assuming that the unemployed person got laid off at a convenient time that allows them to apply for financial aid early enough when there's adequate funding and that would allow enough time for processing prior to the beginning of the semester.

Old 12-18-2010, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
Great points.

As to paying for it before the deadline, when I had a scholarship or student loan (or my FL Prepaid College program money), they defer your tuition and the third party pays it for you electronically about a week later. Usually they don't drop your classes right away, either, they give you awhile and charge you a $100 late fee during this time.

Anybody and their dog can get a Stafford loan. Pell grant is based solely on income and applying for it before funds run out. You just fill out the FAFSA and they tell you what you qualify for.
That may be true in Florida but many universities and community colleges routinely drop students from courses if the fees are not paid within a certain time frame.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies