Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 02:07 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,285,354 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
With large-volume furniture I see no reason why that would have to come from China. I mean, Ikea-style stuff is made in almost completely automated factories that can be set up almost anywhere, ideally close to where the wood is coming from.
It all comes down to labor cost and that does not even include employer based health insurance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2010, 02:51 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,092,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
There are extreme cases and of course there will always be a small minority of people who take advantage of the system, but facts are facts; unemployment has been at record levels the past couple of years and indeed just ticked up again during November to 9.8% so let's can the sanctimony. Millions of worker bees didn't just suddenly decide to become lazy and indignant, and anyone really believing it's that simple has been living under a rock or was born yesterday. We're laying in the bed we've been hard at work making for decades.
I almost wish they would stop publishing the UE rate. People then use it as an excuse for why they haven't gotten a job yet. We all know why 99ers are out of work...I am willing to make a bet that the majority have jobs within 3 months of benefits expiring.

Old 12-13-2010, 02:51 PM

3,117 posts, read 4,577,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
Xanathos is a troll, bro. Trolls don't have to make sense.
Rationalize reality however you like so that it doesn't lock your mind up. Makes no difference to me.

The reality is if we forced people to start referring to what their on in a proper manner, maybe it would force some of them to actually go out and find work.

The first 26 weeks? "Currently? Well, currently I'm on unemployment". THat's fine. After 26 weeks? Stop making it acceptable to call it unemployment. It's not unemployment. It's welfare. Make these types say "I'm on welfare". Shame is a wonderful motivator. Case in point: Had to watch one of my girlfriend's nephews for an extended time last year. Was warned he was a horrible student, it was going to be a nightmare to get him to do his homework, etc. etc. etc. First night, I sat him down and told him under no uncertain terms that if he got a single grade below a B while he was in my house, I was going to put him at a busy intersection holding a sign stating that he was interning for his future job because he isn't taking school seriously. And that I would then put him outside the school on a busy night (dance, sporting event, whatever) with another sign with something equally humiliating. Sure, he protested and yelled how unfair it was and blah blah blah, but sure enough, that first report card came in, and this perpetual 1.7 lout was on the honor roll.

I'm not complaining that I have to pay their way. That's tilting against windmills. But if I'm going to pay their way so they don't have to work, they should at least have the decency to accept the scarlet letter of what they're really on - and that's welfare.

Old 12-13-2010, 02:59 PM

3,860 posts, read 8,440,703 times
What I don't understand is why many of the 99'ers are unwilling to move for a good job or obtain the necessary training/degree to get one. Grants can help defray the costs of attending college. There are also low intrest loans and many colleges offer payment plans as well. I've never had to pay my tuition and other fees up front. Most of it was covered by grants and loans. My only out of pocket expenses were my books, rent, food etc. Obtaining an education should be seen as an investment and not just another expense.

My only caveat is to get a degree in something that is practical.

Old 12-13-2010, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shroombeanie View Post
I never said YOU did. The argument(s) and disrespectful comments to American workers are weak, lame and uncalled for. Many people have no choice but to buy China made crap. It's cheaper. Who the hell can afford to buy new furniture anyway? In the last three years all of the furniture we have has been handed down.

There's no crying here. All my trying has finally begun to 'pay off '. As I have been working a seasonal (Nov.5 - Dec.24) full time (+ plenty of OT - 54 hours a week) job to reacquire my aggravated suspended license due to an unpaid seatbelt ticket. Which will land me a job driving a public transit bus here. Not the career I landed in 1994, but it's the only 'real' opportunity in this city.
So I'm guessing you blame the unpaid seatbelt ticket on the cop for giving it to you or the clerk's office for not paying it for you? It's your own fault for having to go through a bunch of hoops for first getting the ticket and then not paying it. Quit yer whinin'. Hopefully that job doesn't slip through your fingers while you gather together money to pay your ticket and reinstate your license.

Just b/c you don't buy new furniture doesn't mean nobody else does. I see lots of furniture stores and they all seem to still be in business....

If you do good at a seasonal job, they often keep you on for permanent work. I got a seasonal cashier job once and within a week, I was promoted to the cash office and a month later, I was promoted to supervisor. I worked for this same company off and on for about 2 years...which was my fault b/c I kept leaving and coming back.

Old 12-13-2010, 03:04 PM

8,598 posts, read 9,093,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
Rationalize reality however you like so that it doesn't lock your mind up. Makes no difference to me.

The reality is if we forced people to start referring to what their on in a proper manner, maybe it would force some of them to actually go out and find work.

The first 26 weeks? "Currently? Well, currently I'm on unemployment". THat's fine. After 26 weeks? Stop making it acceptable to call it unemployment. It's not unemployment. It's welfare. Make these types say "I'm on welfare". Shame is a wonderful motivator. Case in point: Had to watch one of my girlfriend's nephews for an extended time last year. Was warned he was a horrible student, it was going to be a nightmare to get him to do his homework, etc. etc. etc. First night, I sat him down and told him under no uncertain terms that if he got a single grade below a B while he was in my house, I was going to put him at a busy intersection holding a sign stating that he was interning for his future job because he isn't taking school seriously. And that I would then put him outside the school on a busy night (dance, sporting event, whatever) with another sign with something equally humiliating. Sure, he protested and yelled how unfair it was and blah blah blah, but sure enough, that first report card came in, and this perpetual 1.7 lout was on the honor roll.

I'm not complaining that I have to pay their way. That's tilting against windmills. But if I'm going to pay their way so they don't have to work, they should at least have the decency to accept the scarlet letter of what they're really on - and that's welfare.
Section 8 housing come with that weekly check? Food stamps, medicaid perhaps? No, just a couple hundred dollars a week? That amount of money wasn't much at all 30 years ago, so why is it enough now for millions to live on without the section 8, foodstamps and medicaid? That amount of money is simply not enough for most bill, tax paying folk to live on period, so, I do not think most of those unemployed wish to stay unemployed, except perhaps 18 year old Danny boy living with mommy?

Old 12-13-2010, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post

Well said.

And LOL at the example!

Old 12-13-2010, 03:20 PM

1,474 posts, read 2,914,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
I thought this was ging to be a rant about Davide Spade.

Drat.

When they hit week 98 are they a welfare princess? What week is welfare duchess? Oh come on, I bet there's a chart somewhere.
Stay tuned for the powerpoint presentation....

Do they give out tiaras for these welfare queens? Are there parades? Got your wave down??

Old 12-13-2010, 03:26 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,312,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shroombeanie View Post
I never said YOU did. The argument(s) and disrespectful comments to American workers are weak, lame and uncalled for. Many people have no choice but to buy China made crap. It's cheaper. Who the hell can afford to buy new furniture anyway? In the last three years all of the furniture we have has been handed down.

There's no crying here. All my trying has finally begun to 'pay off '. As I have been working a seasonal (Nov.5 - Dec.24) full time (+ plenty of OT - 54 hours a week) job to reacquire my aggravated suspended license due to an unpaid seatbelt ticket. Which will land me a job driving a public transit bus here. Not the career I landed in 1994, but it's the only 'real' opportunity in this city.
Whoa, you have an aggravated suspended license and you want to become a public transit bus driver now?

Old 12-13-2010, 03:34 PM

1,474 posts, read 2,914,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timberwolf232 View Post
I wonder what kind of a difference it would make on payouts if people were required to pass drug tests to receive unemployment benefits and welfare?? I bet it would be interesting.
And who would pay for all of these drug tests?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies