Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 10:59 PM

788 posts, read 4,067,619 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason_Els View Post
I would wager he got that excuse from an episode of Curb Your Enthusiasm where the main character said he was prejudiced against black people (the defendent and the judge were black) so he could go to a baseball game.

I don't know how they'll prove perjury however. If this guy really is racist and homophobic then he shouldn't be serving on a jury where those issues would be a factor.
I just watched that episode today (I have the DVDs).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2007, 11:56 PM

1,174 posts, read 5,901,833 times

This is the scene from Curb Your Enthusiasm.

Oops, judge wasn't black.

Old 07-13-2007, 05:42 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,346,772 times
I've served on many juries, I've always enjoyed it, I even went with a broken leg, they told me I could be excused but I stayed but now I find myself in a differant situation, the newest owners of our company only pay 2 days of jury duty at 8 hours and I work 12 hours rotating shift, a two week stint could cost me thousands of dollars and that might make me want to make up an excuse. I just had to fill out the questionair for Federal Jury Duty, that will be a 180 mile a day round trip at 0 dollars an hour, yeah I'm looking for an excuse for the first time.

Old 07-13-2007, 05:59 PM

68,327 posts, read 54,358,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
I've served on many juries, I've always enjoyed it, I even went with a broken leg, they told me I could be excused but I stayed but now I find myself in a differant situation, the newest owners of our company only pay 2 days of jury duty at 8 hours and I work 12 hours rotating shift, a two week stint could cost me thousands of dollars and that might make me want to make up an excuse. I just had to fill out the questionair for Federal Jury Duty, that will be a 180 mile a day round trip at 0 dollars an hour, yeah I'm looking for an excuse for the first time.

I think in your current situation you have a very valid argument to be excused considering you've served many times in the past.

Since anyone reading this is in the POC forum you probably have an interest in politics and how the government runs. I'd recommend jury duty as a useful learning experience along those lines, I think it will also give many a new experience in what it actually means to judge someone in a situation that will affect their life. It's quite different than just offering an opinion somewhere.

Old 07-13-2007, 09:31 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,346,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I think in your current situation you have a very valid argument to be excused considering you've served many times in the past.

Since anyone reading this is in the POC forum you probably have an interest in politics and how the government runs. I'd recommend jury duty as a useful learning experience along those lines, I think it will also give many a new experience in what it actually means to judge someone in a situation that will affect their life. It's quite different than just offering an opinion somewhere.
You got that right, Jury duty taught me if your future is hanging on a jury you better pray the right people are picked, one of the juries i served on voted guilty based on the mans attitude not on evidence or the lack off, I held out and hung the jury, later it was found out the charges were false and the case was dropped, there were others like me who based there vote on evidence but got tired and changed because they wanted it over, if i had did the same, the guy would have went to prison, I learned a heck of a lesson.

Old 02-03-2020, 04:29 PM

5,818 posts, read 2,667,488 times
I think I've been called 3 times, and gotten out of it 3 times. It's not hard to get out of.

Say you work at a job that pays you in tips, so being on a jury would impact your livelihood, bills, etc.

I also said I was moving out of state once, which was true.

Old 02-03-2020, 04:33 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,322,394 times
Serving on a jury is part of one’s duty as a citizen. Going to absurd lengths to avoid it is selfish and irresponsible.

Old 02-03-2020, 04:34 PM

19,717 posts, read 10,112,559 times
Got picked once, It was a 200 mile round trip. I explained that I was self employed, supporting 4 kids and had work booked weeks ahead. I was excused.

Old 02-05-2020, 10:22 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,103,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Got picked once, It was a 200 mile round trip. I explained that I was self employed, supporting 4 kids and had work booked weeks ahead. I was excused.
That didn't work for me when I was called for superior court, I had to shut down my business for 2 days. In my case the trip was only 40 miles. Fortunately it took only 20 minutes for us to find the defendant guilty.

Previously when I worked in Oakland, CA I was called and selected on a murder by baseball bat, drug deal related. The defense attorney ran out of challenges and was not happy with the makeup of the jury, so it ended up with a plea bargain and we were all sent home before the trial started.

In both cases and the 2-3 other times I was called but not selected, I always found jury duty to be interesting, and unless it was costing me money, would not try to get out of it. That guy is an idiot. It's easy to get thrown out by giving the "wrong" response to the judge and/or attorney questions. His claims were just obvious as an attempt to get out of it.

Old 02-05-2020, 10:23 AM

8,480 posts, read 4,727,776 times
Quite the opposite. I’m fairly sure that just answering honestly will get me out of jury duty, but I actually would love to be on a jury.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies