Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 01:43 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,383,463 times

Advertisements

The minister of a Baptist Church in Dallas has constructed a list of "Naughty" and "Nice" businesses based on whether they are purely PC and fail to mention Christmas in their advertising or have been able to allow the word Christmas to enter into their advertising. He changes his list off and on when someone becomes Nice and not Naughty.

The best part of this article is about half way through where the headman in some national atheist organization is quoted and it sounds so much like what I read yesterday on the atheist and Christmas thread. It really felt good to have been informed before I read what he said.

http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/...sinesses-won-t

I guess all you atheists and agnostics, along with other non-Christians really think this man is bigoted although he explained the whole thing. Let her rip atheists.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2010, 01:50 PM

56,966 posts, read 35,349,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
The minister of a Baptist Church in Dallas has constructed a list of "Naughty" and "Nice" businesses based on whether they are purely PC and fail to mention Christmas in their advertising or have been able to allow the word Christmas to enter into their advertising. He changes his list off and on when someone becomes Nice and not Naughty.

The best part of this article is about half way through where the headman in some national atheist organization is quoted and it sounds so much like what I read yesterday on the atheist and Christmas thread. It really felt good to have been informed before I read what he said.

‘Grinch List’ Highlights Businesses That Won’t Recognize Christmas | CNSnews.com

I guess all you atheists and agnostics, along with other non-Christians really think this man is bigoted although he explained the whole thing. Let her rip atheists.
I doubt that anyone really cares. He says it's not a boycott, so i doubt that the businesses he lists as naughty give a rip what he thinks.

And no, it's not bigoted...just silly.

Old 12-13-2010, 01:54 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,383,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I doubt that anyone really cares. He says it's not a boycott, so i doubt that the businesses he lists as naughty give a rip what he thinks.

And no, it's not bigoted...just silly.
Silly? It appears to me that he made a point with some, especially that head atheist man. I just wonder how long before the Nice list grows some new members.

Old 12-13-2010, 02:03 PM

56,966 posts, read 35,349,332 times
Quote:
Silly? It appears to me that he made a point with some, especially that head atheist man. I just wonder how long before the Nice list grows some new members.
Maybe...maybe not. Life is too short. Seriously...Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, Go To Hell, Eff U, Jump off a Cliff...whatever. Just give me a good price on your products and i'm in. How you advertise it as it pertains to the holidays is all blah, blah, blah to me anyway.

Old 12-13-2010, 02:24 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,725,630 times
I'm an Atheist and couldn't care less what 'greeting' a business uses. It's up to the business owners/employees to choose how or if they want to decorate.

I use Happy Holidays only because I don't celebrate Christmas and neither do many of my friends and relatives. On Christmas Eve I may use it, but I do think it's silly to wish Merry Christmas to people a month or more before the actual holiday.

I like including all of my friends and family in my well wishing, they mean a lot to me .

Old 12-13-2010, 02:47 PM

6,034 posts, read 10,719,901 times
Quote:
"Head atheist man"??!

Newsflash, there IS no "head atheist man".

Old 12-13-2010, 02:55 PM

6,484 posts, read 6,639,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
"Head atheist man"??!

Newsflash, there IS no "head atheist man".
Really? I figured you guys had annual meetings with a keynote speech right before the goat is sacrificed.

Seriously...I have issues with strong-arming businesses into doing it. No, this guy isn't threatening boycotts...but the implication is there. Yes, it's nice to see Christian-friendly stores, but should I honestly care if a pagan wishes me a Merry Christmas?

Old 12-13-2010, 03:05 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,605,020 times
It is politically correct to say "Merry Christmas" right when Thanksgiving comes around. It offends Christians if you don't say it!!!!

You got it wrong, OP. Saying "Merry Christmas" is politically correct. Not "Happy Holidays". I can see people saying "Merry Christmas" if it is December 20th-25th. What is up with Christians screaming and crying about Christmas right when Thanksgiving comes around?

Old 12-13-2010, 08:15 PM

37,199 posts, read 42,429,753 times
It should be said on December 25th. Maybe the 24th. Any other time IS "pc" for marketing purposes.

Old 12-13-2010, 08:35 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,505,569 times
Come on now, Christmas is the jolliest time of the year. People should say Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, or whatever phrase, makes them happy during the holiday season. You don't like Christmas you should not have any say so, in what phrase is used at all, after all, you don't celebrate the holidays. Most Christians won't let an Atheist dictate to them, what phrase they should or not be using.
The happiest time of the year, some people start celebrating the Christmas holidays right after T/Giving, People say all sort of things during this holiday, but the meaning is still the same, No matter what phrase is used.

If you don't like what someone is saying at this time of the year, be honest and tell them, so many people i know at this time of the year, are happier then usual, or putting on a good front.

Life is short, and we humans get so worked up about so many little factors, for gosh sakes, let People have the phrase during the Christmas Season, for it only comes once a year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies