Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should people be required to submit to a drug screen before receiving unemployment benefits or welfa
Yes 118 65.19%
No 63 34.81%
Voters: 181. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 11:53 AM

5,645 posts, read 5,062,068 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
There is female Wall street workers that have gone to stripping. Kinda proves your theory wrong dontcha think? I would think they are way over qualified for that job
I think I'd have to take a closer look at that situation before saying how overqualified they may be. Seems like some research is in order. Care to join me for a beer?

This just goes to prove that people will find a way to earn a living given the proper motivation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2010, 11:56 AM

8,806 posts, read 6,084,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artwomyn View Post
I'm not telling falsehoods about anything! And here you are yet again, on another thread that I'm on, with your personal attacks and insulting remarks! I guess you just can't resist stalking me. You must have some deeply sick need to find me on this forum, and try to shove your insults down my throat! If you're a business owner like you say, then you'd have better things to do!
I'm actually getting ready to leave to take my food manager's exam and then head to work.

And, I'm pretty sure I was involved in this topic heavily before you showed up on the last few pages. I must say, you have quite a big head if you think I am following you around.

YOU, ma'am, are the one who is insulting to everyone who disagrees with you. If it's insulting to say that some welfare people are druggies and therefore we need to end the abuse of the system by drug testing, I guess I'll wear that badge. However, if I am being insulting in saying that, then so are many of the other posters on this thread. But again, you single me out for your rants.

Oh, and you did not address anything I said. Therefore, you are being off topic and you are personally attacking me. I wouldn't be surprised if your post and this one gets deleted. Try to stick to the topic, okay?

Old 12-15-2010, 11:57 AM

9,644 posts, read 9,823,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
I think I'd have to take a closer look at that situation before saying how overqualified they may be. Seems like some research is in order. Care to join me for a beer?

This just goes to prove that people will find a way to earn a living given the proper motivation.
Hahahaha Cheers

Exactly, there is times in your life you do what you gotta do. No one ever said life is going to be fun and games, Cherries and smiles.

When you are asking the gov to help you there needs to be some requirements. We need some serious reform. There is way to many loopholes in our system causing it to be abused.

I am all for helping those in serious need of help but the money we are handing out from abuse could be going to those that really need it.

Old 12-15-2010, 12:08 PM

1,296 posts, read 2,221,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
You have yet to answer.

Why should we give someone food stamps when they have money to spend on drugs?

I never assumed anything I simply asked you a question. I believe I said in fact that no one is saying everyone on welfare does drugs. So much for that.

Nice insults. I love how you love to dish out the little comments. I also love further along in this thread you call out someone for insulting you when they didnt.
And how do you know that they're spending their money on drugs??? So why pick on them then, if you don't believe that all of them are spending their money on drugs??? And I just tell it like it is, whether you want ot hear it like it is or not. Guess you think that asserting my viewpoint, is an insult.

As for the other person that I called on the carpet, I have been getting personal attacks from them, for quite some time, which you know nothing about. So don't go there.

Last edited by artwomyn; 12-15-2010 at 12:17 PM..

Old 12-15-2010, 12:15 PM

1,296 posts, read 2,221,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
I'm actually getting ready to leave to take my food manager's exam and then head to work.

And, I'm pretty sure I was involved in this topic heavily before you showed up on the last few pages. I must say, you have quite a big head if you think I am following you around.

YOU, ma'am, are the one who is insulting to everyone who disagrees with you. If it's insulting to say that some welfare people are druggies and therefore we need to end the abuse of the system by drug testing, I guess I'll wear that badge. However, if I am being insulting in saying that, then so are many of the other posters on this thread. But again, you single me out for your rants.

Oh, and you did not address anything I said. Therefore, you are being off topic and you are personally attacking me. I wouldn't be surprised if your post and this one gets deleted. Try to stick to the topic, okay?
I'm just being honest, as I always have been. I didn't address anything you said, because you're not making sense anyhow. And I haven't insulted anyone. You just want to start flaming, and making trouble, as you have on all of your posts. That's your mentality coming to the fore. So don't accuse ME of going off topic.

Since you NEVER miss any opportunity to start trouble, you ALWAYS wind-up going off topic, no matter what. Since you're nothing but a trouble-maker, I won't EVER waste my time responding to you again!

Old 12-15-2010, 12:16 PM

5,645 posts, read 5,062,068 times
Quote:
So why pick on them then, if you don't believe that all of them are spending their money on drugs??? And I just tell it like it is, whether you want ot hear it like it is or not. Guess you think that asserting my viewpoint, is an insult.
Why is requiring that they successfully pass a drug test prior to being given free money equate to being "picked on"?

It's not like they're being pressured to dance half-clothed on stage for the money, like some of those abused Wall St. workers are...

Old 12-15-2010, 12:26 PM

2,788 posts, read 5,081,679 times
Quote:
I am looking for about 18 more people for our restaurant. As I've said multiple times, jobs are out there, it's just a matter of looking.

Really..and some ones comes in with a bach degree who was recently laid off..knowing that when the job they are looking for they will quit the position with you and go to that job..they only applied with you cuz only at the time they needed a job..The job they want pays more than you do?
Will you still hire them..knowing at anytime they will quit for something better...hmmmm Im wondering....some people are over qualified to work in restaurants...When I was unemployed Walmart and other companies , wouldnt hire me..said I was over qualified,,So are you going to pay someone with a degree more money just to work in your restaurant??

Old 12-15-2010, 12:43 PM

1,609 posts, read 1,075,764 times
Quote:
And you conservatives, are always griping about how you don't want government interference in our lives! Then you want to impose the most invasive program against the poor, that's possible! What hippocrites!
What a foolish, short-sighted statement. Do you not understand "taking responsibility for one's actions?" That's what responsible, productive and decent citizens do understand. Those that "take" from the government are exactly the opposite and, IMHO, are taxpayers' leaches; i.e., they leach from productive citizens while they put our Society in danger of slipping into 3rd-world country mentality. Now, before you get carried away, I am not speaking of those that use such welfare or UC services on a very temporary basis...but the reference goes to those who are 5th and 6th generation welfare or stay on UC until just before it runs out and then go out to seriously look for a job. These latter two categories are the overwhelmingly very large percentage of recipients. This is what disgusts me and makes me afraid for our wonderful country.

Last edited by lorrysda; 12-15-2010 at 12:54 PM..

Old 12-15-2010, 12:47 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,753,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
I voted 'no'.
Either everyone in the nation gets tested for drugs, or no one.
I'll make sure to let all the pilots, rapid transit drivers, truck drivers, police & firemen, and anyone else in a critical and stressful job know they may not have to be concerned about sobriety. I can only think that someone who indulges in such activities could possibly hold such a view. How would you like to wonder if the EMT working on your relative is UTI? Or the pilot of your flight? or, or, or...

Believe me, I'm no choire boy and happen to be a member of the Sex, Drugs and Rock & Roll generation, but I grew up and then sobered up. 25 years ago if I had been tested I would have either been put in a program or canned and that might have been better for me (honestly). Fortunately I gathered up enough self discipline to straighten out. Most don't.

Old 12-15-2010, 12:54 PM

26,537 posts, read 36,445,194 times
Quote:
Good points. As to the alcohol, though, I don't think they should be drinking if we are helping them pay bills. They are spending needless money to have alcohol instead of spending money on food, housing, etc. I think laws would have to vary by state, and in AK, if growing your own weed is legal, then the issue of them spending money on a habit is a moot point, so AK could have the option of not testing for that substance. I agree with you on the job training, at least in theory.

I think that law about felons is a good one. I did not know that, thanks for bringing it up.

I do still stand by my assertion that the druggies should have the cost of testing come out of their checks.
People get alcohol as gifts and even make it themselves, or they might have a well stocked bar or wine cellar left over from better times. So many of the unemployed now are people who had good lives before this recession hit.

The "druggies" know how to pass drug tests. There is only one way to prevent that from happening, and that's too dangerous a precedent for this country to set.

And what a lot of this comes down to is legal precedent. Our society needs to be very careful when giving away the rights of others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies