Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should people be required to submit to a drug screen before receiving unemployment benefits or welfa
Yes 118 65.19%
No 63 34.81%
Voters: 181. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 08:19 PM

2,794 posts, read 3,677,046 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
I'll say it again (said it pages ago), I wouldn't want to give or loan a friend money in the name of need for housing or food only to have her spend it on cigs, drugs, partying, etc. It's thieving as far as I'm concerned. And any person so effed up to be on public assistance is just that much more effed up to be using drugs/whatever. As with a friend, there is nothing I could do about her choices, but it would clearly mark her as a loser in my book.
How does your view account for corporate welfare?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2011, 09:47 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,471,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artwomyn View Post
In fact, I do think that your privacy was invaded. And I don't advocate mandatory drug-testing for employees wither, unless they have jobs that would affect other people's lives, or they have to drive a vehicle on the job, or operate machinery on the job.

That being said, there's no reason to invade the privacy of UI and welfare recipients at all. They have 4th amendment privacy rights, just like any other citizen. And I don't want to see ANYONE's 4th amendment rights abolished, just because some of you posters want to control the poor!
how does it have anything to do with the 4th amendment..

it is not seizing anything

it is saying "you want the handout' then abide by the RULES

dont want to give a sample..fine..dont take the handout

btw

as per the supreme court

In two 1989 decisions the Court held that no warrant, probable cause, or even individualized suspicion is required for mandatory drug testing by the government

Michigan started random drug testing in 1999

the supreme court even looked at testing school students.....The Tecumseh, Oklahoma School District adopted a policy requiring middle and high school students participating in competitive extracurricular activities to undergo random, suspicionless drug tests. In a 5-4 decision the United States Supreme Court upholded the policy as “a reasonable means of furthering the School District’s important interest in preventing and deterring drug use among its [students].”

Last edited by workingclasshero; 01-06-2011 at 10:10 PM..

Old 01-06-2011, 10:07 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,329,809 times
Urine or, you out....

Old 01-06-2011, 10:20 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
\

\

And how did that work out for them?

This is how it worked out:

Quote:
Michigan passed a welfare drug testing law in 1999 that required all Temporary Assistance to Needy Families (TANF) applicants to provide urine samples to be considered eligible for assistance. But that program was shut down almost immediately by a restraining order. Three and a half years later, the US 6th Circuit Court of Appeals upheld an earlier district court ruling that the blanket, suspicionless testing of recipients violated the Fourth Amendment's proscription of unreasonable searches and seizures and was thus unconstitutional.
Drug Tests for Unemployment Checks? Just Cheap Political Theater | Drugs | AlterNet

By the way, you can find that same arcticle on many sites; alternet was just the one I linked it to for the sake of the copywright terms here.

Old 01-07-2011, 02:33 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,314,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowitsshowtime View Post
No, I do not assume all poor abuse drugs and alcohol. But I do know that some do. My problem is with the ones that do. In fact its not even the alcohol thats the problem as much as the other drugs, which are way more costly.
Same should go for those pistol-packin' airline pilots.

Booze and guns go together, not pot and guns.

Me?

For now, Trans Love Airways.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qkbn1L2A34k

Old 01-07-2011, 03:56 AM

2,887 posts, read 2,633,912 times
Everyone who gets a paycheck from any source and/or pays taxes should be required to take drug tests. If you’re into the mandatory drug testing then might as well go all out.

Old 01-07-2011, 04:32 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,182,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
What does that have to do with the 4th amendment?

Not a thing, that's what.
If it has nothing to do with what you want to discuss, than I don't know why you're quoting the post. Just skip over it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielpalos View Post
How does your view account for corporate welfare?
That particular view is not an umbrella for other opinions, but I'm not on board with corporate bailouts. I take less issue with loans, but monies used to line the pockets of greedy big wigs ventures past loser to evil in my book. I don't take issue with tax breaks. The whole idea of letting anyone, be it an individual or a business,to keep some of their money by the government as some kind of favor is effed up. OTOH, I don't take issue with all forms of tax either. I get to use services (roads/transportation services, fire dept, police, etc) and my taxes pay for it and that's fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JobZombie View Post
Everyone who gets a paycheck from any source and/or pays taxes should be required to take drug tests. If you’re into the mandatory drug testing then might as well go all out.

I had to take a drug test for my job. But, it's interesting that some don't see a difference between an earned pay check and a welfare handout.

Old 01-07-2011, 07:51 AM

1,296 posts, read 2,225,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
how does it have anything to do with the 4th amendment..

it is not seizing anything

it is saying "you want the handout' then abide by the RULES

dont want to give a sample..fine..dont take the handout

btw

as per the supreme court

In two 1989 decisions the Court held that no warrant, probable cause, or even individualized suspicion is required for mandatory drug testing by the government

the supreme court even looked at testing school students.....The Tecumseh, Oklahoma School District adopted a policy requiring middle and high school students participating in competitive extracurricular activities to undergo random, suspicionless drug tests. In a 5-4 decision the United States Supreme Court upholded the policy as “a reasonable means of furthering the School District’s important interest in preventing and deterring drug use among its [students].”
What they would be 'seizing', is the personal privacy rights of welfare and UI benfefit recipients. But, you want to continue this delusion that the poor don't deserve the same rights as other American citizens.

This thread is ridiculous anyway. The OP must have facist fantasies, of controlling those who receive government assistance. It's a moot point though, because fortunately, the government knows that they would be violating privacy rights, for those welfare and UI benefit recipients. And as I've stated many times, there would be legal hell to pay, even if something like that was ever implemented.

I'm going to go ahead and bow-out of this thread. It's too absurd, for me to even waste my time on. With threads like this being created on this forum, it shows how how much the poor are hated in our society. And it's really a sad, pathetic thing to witness!

Old 01-07-2011, 09:50 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post

I had to take a drug test for my job. But, it's interesting that some don't see a difference between an earned pay check and a welfare handout.
Did you have to pay for the drug trest that you took for your job?

Those that want the poor to undergo drug testing for benefits also want them to pay for the testing themselves. Maybe that's one of the differences.

Old 01-07-2011, 10:10 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,182,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Did you have to pay for the drug trest that you took for your job?

Those that want the poor to undergo drug testing for benefits also want them to pay for the testing themselves. Maybe that's one of the differences.
One of the differences between earning and being given something? As far as paying for the drug test goes, keep in mind that my company benefits from the job I do. Or at least they should benefit financially. So, whatever benefits I receive from an employer, be it a check, not having to pay for a drug test, insurance, etc, is all earned. The welfare person, unlike the unemployed, is not earning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies