Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 06:01 AM

4,696 posts, read 5,822,117 times

Advertisements

One of the things I am seeing a lot of from liberals who are against the tax deal is "where are the teabaggers, they don't care about the deficit afterall". Yet if you look at the Rep Senators who voted against the tax deal, they are the most tea party oriented such as Jim DeMint. You will see the same in the House. Tea Party favorite Michele Bachmann for example will vote against it.

Here's the irony. Liberals hate the Tea Party. They consider establishment Republicans to be less of a threat, Yet on this tax deal liberals and the Tea party are on the same team (libs because of "tax cuts for the rich" and tea party because of deficit and pork spending). It's the establishment Reps along with more moderate Dems who are voting Yes on the tax deal. They are the ones who don't care about the deficit, not the TEA party.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2010, 06:30 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
I wonder how many Tea Party members are working for or retitred from companies with government contracts. Talk about biting the hand that feed you.

Old 12-14-2010, 06:50 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,221,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I wonder how many Tea Party members are working for or retitred from companies with government contracts. Talk about biting the hand that feed you.
So those that do are willing to bite the hand that feeds them for the good of the country. Wow such bad people

Old 12-14-2010, 07:58 AM

23,862 posts, read 24,108,334 times
As for the "tax cuts" - keeping in place the tax rates that have been in effect for a decade is not a tax cut. It is disallowing a tax hike. It "costs" the government nothing.

Last edited by CaseyB; 12-14-2010 at 01:23 PM.. Reason: off topic

Old 12-14-2010, 09:25 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,737,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
One of the things I am seeing a lot of from liberals who are against the tax deal is "where are the teabaggers, they don't care about the deficit afterall". Yet if you look at the Rep Senators who voted against the tax deal, they are the most tea party oriented such as Jim DeMint. You will see the same in the House. Tea Party favorite Michele Bachmann for example will vote against it.

Here's the irony. Liberals hate the Tea Party. They consider establishment Republicans to be less of a threat, Yet on this tax deal liberals and the Tea party are on the same team (libs because of "tax cuts for the rich" and tea party because of deficit and pork spending). It's the establishment Reps along with more moderate Dems who are voting Yes on the tax deal. They are the ones who don't care about the deficit, not the TEA party.

I suspect the Tea Party opposes this bill because a lot of spending is buried in it. It's not just an extension of our current tax structure.

And most Tea Party folks that I know are more angry at our bloated government spending than the deficit.

Old 12-14-2010, 09:31 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,123,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post

Do you know why DeMint and Bachmann voted against it? Here's the truth of it...

Here's what the choice comes down to: People like Rep. Bachmann do not care about deficits when it comes to shoveling nearly $67 billion over the next two years to those with the top incomes. But to keep $293 a week available to unemployed people who run out of state benefits-suddenly the spending becomes a problem. Enough of a problem that Rep. Bachman would vote against the tax cuts if unemployment insurance were added to the package.

Deborah Weinstein: Michele Bachmann's Very Bad Choice: Extending Tax Cuts for the Rich While Ending Unemployment Insurance for the Jobless

Bachmann still wants her welfare farm subsidies for a non-working farm, but she does not want out of work middle class families that are struggling, to have an extension of benefits. She's a real sweety pie.

Last edited by sickofnyc; 12-14-2010 at 10:10 AM..

Old 12-14-2010, 01:18 PM

2,794 posts, read 3,677,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
I suspect the Tea Party opposes this bill because a lot of spending is buried in it. It's not just an extension of our current tax structure.

And most Tea Party folks that I know are more angry at our bloated government spending than the deficit.
What bloat are you referring to?

Old 12-14-2010, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enemy country View Post
I have never thought about how many black guys the government employs but obviously you have,so go ahead tell me about your to many black guys with government jobs theory.

I have no theory on that at all. I'm just trying to figure out why you think the Tea Party is about race at all. Any objective analysis would show that they are mostly concerned about the growth of our huge government and they don't care what color "the man" is.

Old 12-14-2010, 01:35 PM

306 posts, read 605,475 times
I don't understand how the heck people can be for "something" that will be this country further in debt....People just want to see "green" in their hands and could care less that we are borrowing from other countries to pay for this stuff...how pathetic is that?

Old 12-14-2010, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielpalos View Post
What bloat are you referring to?

Well considering that government spending has gone from 7% of GDP in 1902 to 45% of GDP in 2010 I would conclude that we are surrounded by a bloated government.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies