Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 01:22 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,446,589 times

Advertisements

If this is true.

It's a major breakthrough!

Quote:
Timothy Ray Brown, also known as the "Berlin Patient," received the transplant in 2007 as part of a lengthy treatment course for leukemia. His doctors recently published a report in the journal Blood affirming that the results of extensive testing "strongly suggest that cure of HIV infection has been achieved."
Stem Cell Transplant Cures HIV In 'Berlin Patient'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2010, 02:30 PM

6,484 posts, read 6,614,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
If this is true.

It's a major breakthrough!

Stem Cell Transplant Cures HIV In 'Berlin Patient'
Very cool.

Chances are it was using an adult stem cell, as well--since the treatment was in 2007.

Old 12-14-2010, 02:41 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,164,623 times
I read about this last year and thought it was pretty cool. The procedure can't exactly be done in mass quantities yet, but it's a good start towards curing HIV with a magic pill or injection.

The article I linked has a lot more detail about the procedure.

Old 12-14-2010, 02:47 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,580,303 times
That would be great news if they could perfect it - huge breakthrough.

Old 12-14-2010, 02:50 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,314,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
That would be great news if they could perfect it - huge breakthrough.
A defeat for Ted Turner and the Christians.

Old 12-14-2010, 07:39 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,917,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
A defeat for Ted Turner and the Christians.
I have no idea what the reference was to Ted Turner but why the Christian bashing?

This possible medical breakthrough was through the use of adult stem cells. No innocent life was created nor destroyed to create this possible cure.

Old 12-14-2010, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
I have no idea what the reference was to Ted Turner but why the Christian bashing?

This possible medical breakthrough was through the use of adult stem cells. No innocent life was created nor destroyed to create this possible cure.
I met too many Christians who told me that they believed that HIV was manufactured in a Government lab for the purpose of killing all the gays, and that they were happy that the Government was finally doing the right thing.

I think it was during the Reagan administration that I was hearing all this.

The first guy who first told me that was running as a Republican for governor at the time.

Old 12-14-2010, 09:28 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,253,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
I met too many Christians who told me that they believed that HIV was manufactured in a Government lab for the purpose of killing all the gays, and that they were happy that the Government was finally doing the right thing.

I think it was during the Reagan administration that I was hearing all this.

The first guy who first told me that was running as a Republican for governor at the time.
So far you have managed to avoid the fact that in 2007 only adult stem cells were being studied with government money. Did you forget that what those Christians were against were taken from unborn babies. Maybe you should look at what happened and less at a chance to get even with Christians.

BTW, do you know how many diseases have been cured by stem cells that weren't from adults? I am just wondering.

Old 12-14-2010, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
So far you have managed to avoid the fact that in 2007 only adult stem cells were being studied with government money. Did you forget that what those Christians were against were taken from unborn babies. Maybe you should look at what happened and less at a chance to get even with Christians.

Republicans were sooo happy in those days.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3Wzn...eature=related

Old 12-14-2010, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post

BTW, do you know how many diseases have been cured by stem cells that weren't from adults? I am just wondering.
I was into dedifferentiation and redifferentiation long before the stem cell controversy came up.

But no one could hear through the politics that dominates science.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HO1UK...eature=related
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies