Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 06:23 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,933,813 times

Advertisements

Tax cuts are good. The problem lies in the fact that with tax cuts, spending cuts MUST be enacted, otherwise all the tax cuts do is increase the deficit, and we're 1/8th of an inch from the point of no return, if we haven't crossed that already. The reason why they are saying that it could jeopardize our credit rating is because they know, Congress WILL NOT accompany tax cuts with spending cuts. Welcome to the new GOP, the same as the old GOP (except now there's another Paul in office). I've said in previous posts and polls, I don't believe the new GOP will be serious in holding up to their promises and it turns out I was right
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2010, 06:28 PM

9,949 posts, read 8,852,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
You should be protesting the fact that the GOP would hold your tax cuts hostage unless their bosses on Wall Street and Corporate thieves got theirs. You should protest EXTORTION. It seems as if yours is the head that needs drilling into if you don't get that fact.

Nobody is holding anything hostage, you would have to be a complete idiot to believe that liberal propaganda. The left is desperate to demonize anyone who they consider wealthy but anyone with a brain can see that the majority of the people who would be affected by the "tax cut for the rich" aren't Wall Street employees or Corporate thieves at all. Thousands of small and medium size business owners like myself would have been affected by the Democrat's attack on success and I'm personally happy to see them go down in flames. I provide jobs to people in my area and I bring a lot of money into my local community, I also pay my fair share of federal income taxes yet Democrats want to punish me because I'm an evil corporate Wall Street boss... I've never been to Wall Street nor do I own any stock.

Old 12-14-2010, 06:32 PM

9,949 posts, read 8,852,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Tax cuts are good. The problem lies in the fact that with tax cuts, spending cuts MUST be enacted, otherwise all the tax cuts do is increase the deficit, and we're 1/8th of an inch from the point of no return, if we haven't crossed that already. The reason why they are saying that it could jeopardize our credit rating is because they know, Congress WILL NOT accompany tax cuts with spending cuts. Welcome to the new GOP, the same as the old GOP (except now there's another Paul in office). I've said in previous posts and polls, I don't believe the new GOP will be serious in holding up to their promises and it turns out I was right
There is no new GOP, you have many Republicans and a hand full of Tea Party supported candidates that ran as conservative Republicans. The Tea Party winners won't be able to change the GOP in a matter of days but at least conservatives have made a step forward in weeding the crooks out of their party. Conservatives have sent some crooked Republicans home while putting better conservative candidates in office while Democrats lost seats.

Old 12-14-2010, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
There is no new GOP, you have many Republicans and a hand full of Tea Party supported candidates that ran as conservative Republicans. The Tea Party winners won't be able to change the GOP in a matter of days but at least conservatives have made a step forward in weeding the crooks out of their party. Conservatives have sent some crooked Republicans home while putting better conservative candidates in office while Democrats lost seats.
The reason why only a handful of Tea Partiers won was because they weren't authentic enough. The problem is in the fact that almost all of these tea party folk have neo-con tendencies like Sarah Palin does. I know Palin will NOT reduce the deficit because that would mean cutting SS and Medicare. I only know of up to 3 people currently elected to Congress that would seriously vote to cut spending across the board. Ron Paul, Rand Paul, and MAYBE Jim DeMint. The rest dare not touch SS or Medicare, or the military, and they represent the most bloated of federal spending, and they wouldn't dare to cut several federal departments either, except the Pauls. These new people WILL NOT take the necessary steps to reverse the deficit. There were too many neo-cons parading around as Tea Partiers to make any change. Add to that the tea party candidates number a handful. Nowhere near the numbers they need to have a big clout. If the GOP was serious about fiscal discipline, why would they appoint the Prince of Pork as the head of the Appropriations Committee? They can't even do the most simple of spending cuts, stopping the pork, you expect them to cut any other programs?

Don't make excuses for the GOP, all of us need to hold their feet to the fire, otherwise 2012 is gonna be the ol' switcharoo again and Pelosi will once again be Speaker. You don't want that, do you?

Old 12-14-2010, 07:00 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
It really is simple..

If you take in $x then you only spend $x.
If you take in $x-1 then you cut to spend $x-1.

Our government is cutting on one hand and spending on the other which is
Take in $x-1 and spend $x+1

And then cry when the numbers don't work out

Old 12-14-2010, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
It really is simple..

If you take in $x then you only spend $x.
If you take in $x-1 then you cut to spend $x-1.

Our government is cutting on one hand and spending on the other which is
Take in $x-1 and spend $x+1

And then cry when the numbers don't work out
See how FDR finally brought down the U.S.? He started the trend of getting the American people dependent on the government, and now when the going gets tough, no politician (except the Pauls) dare to touch entitlements (Democrats dare not touch income-based entitlements, while Republicans dare not touch SS and Medicare). The only thing left to do is to cut defense spending but Republicans won't do that and Democrats have demonstrated they won't either. And the various other federal departments neither party will touch because they don't want to offend the voters and be voted out.

So what is a politician to do when almost 100% of Americans are dependent on the government in one way or another? Keep in mind also, all this talk about population growth in the U.S., and latinos becoming the majority, here's how I see it. Almost all those latinos and certainly most of today's non-European immigrants, or not entering the middle or high classes. The underclass in this country is growing more and more in the names of diversity and keeping SS solvent. How many more POOR people (because ladies and gents, that's very much the immigrants we are getting nowadays, legal and illegal) are becoming resident in the U.S.? Are they going to be of any use propping up Social Security?

Old 12-15-2010, 03:47 PM

10,029 posts, read 8,346,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
See how FDR finally brought down the U.S.? He started the trend of getting the American people dependent on the government, and now when the going gets tough, no politician (except the Pauls) dare to touch entitlements (Democrats dare not touch income-based entitlements, while Republicans dare not touch SS and Medicare). The only thing left to do is to cut defense spending but Republicans won't do that and Democrats have demonstrated they won't either. And the various other federal departments neither party will touch because they don't want to offend the voters and be voted out.

So what is a politician to do when almost 100% of Americans are dependent on the government in one way or another? Keep in mind also, all this talk about population growth in the U.S., and latinos becoming the majority, here's how I see it. Almost all those latinos and certainly most of today's non-European immigrants, or not entering the middle or high classes. The underclass in this country is growing more and more in the names of diversity and keeping SS solvent. How many more POOR people (because ladies and gents, that's very much the immigrants we are getting nowadays, legal and illegal) are becoming resident in the U.S.? Are they going to be of any use propping up Social Security?

Latinos currently have the highest teen birth rate in the USA, the highest highschool dropout rate in the USA, an incarceration rate nearly for times that of whites, and they are projected to be the majority. Coming to you soon: the standard of living currently enjoyed in Mexico.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies