Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 08:56 AM

20 posts, read 16,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Are you talking about the same government that won't the oil companies drill for oil?

now we have an argument I want to hear about more on. The purpose of this thread is to bring up the reasons why we have forgotten about one small portion of the problem and one decent way to solve it. As I said previously no major economic recovery has occured without significant reduction in the price of energy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2010, 09:15 AM

23,844 posts, read 24,087,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guamanians View Post
fill up twice a week? that sounds about right.
What do you drive? How long is your commute? Do you drive your vehicle as part of your job?

In other words, do you represent the "average American"? The OP said that the "average American" fills their tank twice per week, probably more. I think that's probably wrong. I asked them to explain how they arrived at that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guamanians View Post
Filling up once every 3 or 4 weeks? You must not be driving much
In the post you quoted, I explained just how much driving I do. Didn't you read it? I get over 400 miles per tank. I drive plenty - I just don't have the additional 200+ miles per week that most people have built into their driving schedule, because I don't have to commute to work.

Old 12-19-2010, 09:05 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,014,359 times
Gas prices here sure have jumped big time.

OPEC & the speculators should be shot.

Some say its going to hit 4.00 gal. I believe it.

Old 12-19-2010, 09:19 PM

19,013 posts, read 14,186,291 times
If you want the price of gasoline, denominated in dollar bills, to drop by 50%, just cut inflation by 50%.
Government is the source of inflation.
It should be the source of deflation.
OH, right, deflation is bad news for debtors.
Government is the #1 debtor.
...Move along, nothing to see here, go home...

Old 12-19-2010, 09:30 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,238,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Did you forget that government doesn't own the gasoline, so it's not up to them to price it?
Yes, but the amount of taxes that all levels of government place on gasoline means that they could easily cut the price in half, simply by suspending the taxes.

Government can always cut our taxes and therefore most efficiently allow our money to stay in our pockets to be spent. But being the insatiable crooks that they are, they think every penny each American earns is actually their money. Which is why they call it a "cost" to give a tax cut. They think our money is theirs. And they want to spend--I mean waste--infinite amounts.

Of course, when you think about it, the FED is running the printing presses 24/7 (monetizing the debt by devaluing the dollar) and politicians simply spend money they don't have (deficit spending and national debt). Every year they confiscate two trillion or so from us, then they spend three and a half trillion.

So why not just halt tax collection entirely, save all that money on the IRS Nazis, and let us spend our money in the economy? And let them run the entire government on printed money and borrowed money? Sounds silly, but our leaders have been running the entire nation on this house of cards shell game for years. We all know there's no way to pay the national debt. We know they are simply going to make the dollar worth nothing, and keep interest rates near zero, so anyone who wants to retire can just forget about it. They wiped out the housing market, they wiped out our 401Ks, they took away pensions, they even took away the lousy wage-slave jobs that were a pathetic deal for our generation. And of course they stole the Social Security Trust Fund, so we can't have that pitiful amount either.

Hopefully some of those pension-rich fatcats who are already retired will let us take out their garbage for a bite of food when we're in our 70s. Of course their Social Security annual increases will be fully protected, as our retirement age is pushed into the late 70s. After all, government made "promises" to them.

Too bad nobody keeps the promises made to my generation.

Old 12-19-2010, 09:41 PM

3,335 posts, read 2,984,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Oil companies have an average profit margin of about 9.7% so it's completely unrealistic to think prices could be cut 50%
Yeh but 10% of Trillions is a pretty good number.

Old 12-19-2010, 09:43 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,295,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by csjones1973 View Post
I pose a simple theory. Get back to getting money into the pockets of everyone at little cost to the government.

No this is not a word problem in your local high school math class but it should be.

If you figure the average tank of gas runs $40 and the average American uses 2 tanks of gas per week (I know probably more, don't want to confuse those using government math) The average American earns 32k per year. 52x80= 4360

4360 is 13% of 32k. Simply cut the price of gas in half that would still leave us above what we should be paying for gas and you put 6.5% of someones annual income or $2,180 per house hold back into the economy. Holy Crap thats what I call a stimulus package.

My question is WHY IN THE HELL HAVE WE FORGOTTEN THIS!!!!!
The average family could drive half as much, accomplishing the same thing

Old 12-19-2010, 09:45 PM

935 posts, read 2,410,720 times
I'm all for gradually cutting back on oil and start building more effective forms of public transportation and renewable energy resources for powering vehicles. However, it looks as though that won't happen anytime soon since it's considered a waste of money by some of the Republican leaders.

Old 12-19-2010, 10:02 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,564,313 times
The environmental roadblocks to the widespread utilization of renewable energy in this country preclude any private corporation making a profit out of investing in them; otherwise that process would have begun decades ago by every old and energy company you can think of, as well as infrastructure-proficient entities such as Caterpillar.

This country will never become self-sufficient as it relates to energy until those roadblocks are obliterated; the fact that EIRs are required for building things as mundane as a football stadium (as is the case here in LA) is beyond asinine.

Many of our allies have been very diligently building their energy resources, either by building them themselves (China & Brazil come to mind), or buying what they need elsewhere.

Obama's ongoing moratorium on drilling in the Gulf Of Mexico and elsewhere, as well as his party's vehement objections to the process known as 'fracking', which could certainly results in trillions of dollars in new revenue to the feds and many states, not to mention putting tens of thousands of US citizens to work making some very serious $$$$$.

Those roadblocks aren't helping our unemployment rate either, or our gas/energy prices.

And Democrats are supposed to 'represent the middle class and the little guy?

Sure they are.

Old 12-19-2010, 10:25 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,014,359 times
It sucks that i drive a gas guzzler. I only get 15 mpg & gas is over 3.25 a gal here (highest in 2 yrs).

The state & fed taxes is something else.

I only use my car for work & if i need groceries i do it on the way home. No extra trips for me.

Gas will continue to climb due to the weak dollar (according to the news on tv).

Last edited by steel7; 12-19-2010 at 11:14 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies