Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 06:16 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,521,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
My intention was... .

Oh, no. I've never been a "go with the flow" kind of guy. In fact, just the opposite is true. I've spent my whole life swimming against the flow and still do. It's just my nature, I suppose or, more likely, I take a perverse pleasure from being "different."

But, I digress.

I would be foolish not to admit that life is full of choices and that choices have consequences. You've more than adequately outlined several of them. But, you have to admit that the results of those choices are only known after the fact. I may, indeed, let go of the steering wheel at a sharp curve and expect to wreck. However, the possiblity exists that I may not. Therefore, I can't draw the firm conclusion that a release of the steering wheel WILL result in a wreck. I can only conclude that it probably will.

It's the same with life choices. I can expect a certain outcome, even dream of it and plan for it, but it may not turn out as I expected. There are too many variables to categorically state that it WILL. The best I can do is believe it probably will. But, it just as probably may not. And, who can say whether I might not have arrived at the same destination by doing nothing, rather than doing something? Since the ultimate outcome is unknown at the time deliberate actions are taken, it must therefore follow that any actions I take may be equally practical or pointless.

As an example, let's say I want to go from Dallas to Ft. Worth. There are several routes which will accomplish that and I may chose whichever one I want and end up at my planned destination. But, I may also just pick one a random, without any study or effort, and still end up in Ft. Worth, so what have I gained by the extra effort to chose one? Am I in Ft. Worth because I wanted to be, or simply because the road I was on went there?

Here's another, more practical example. Let's say I have the goal of living in good health until, say, age 80. I'm planning for it, building my life around what I believe is the almost certain prospect of a long and healthy life, IF I do all the right things. It's mind over matter, right? So, I exercise faithfully, eat right, avoid cigarettes and alcohol, eliminate stress from my life, do all the things which promise a long and healthy life and I make it to 80 just fine.

Question: Did I make to 80 because of the things I did and didn't do? Might I have not also made it without doing those things? Who can say? Once I arrive, I can claim the victory, but I can't prove it. I can look around to others who did the same thing for validation, but I can also see numerous more who tried and failed and, more importantly, others who DIDN'T try, but got there anyhow. From the vantage point of success, I can do a retrospective look at my life and say it was because I willed it, but that's not necessarily the case, is it? Of course, I can't claim the victory enroute, so the whole journey is reduced to little more than an exercise in playing odds. In other words, gambling. I gambled that I could affect my own future and, while it appears that gamble paid off, there's no proof that it actually did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2010, 06:52 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,436,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
Keeping religion out of this also. They do say the mind is such a powerful part of the body. It makes so much sense, that what you truly are feeling inside, you would project out. Someone who is constantly negative, see's no good in people, envys what everyone else has, but refuses to do anything about it, they would feel and act negatively. Someone who is always upbeat, happy, loves all people, sees the best in people, hard worker, has goals, helps everyone, will most likely get a good education, and go on to getting a decent paying job.

I think there is a lot of truth to what your mind is feeling your body produces outwards.

Five years ago, there was a huge single level home with a huge lot that i wanted so badly, i dreamed about this home, thought about this home, thought about how we would buy this home. And it did happen, how is not important, but i actually felt it would be our home, before actually buying it, and it happened.

I think our physical thoughts have a lot to do with our mental thoughts and vice versa.

So much of the time we are so busy finding faults with others, and blaming others for our own mistakes, and that energy is negative, instead of concentrating on your own life, and how to make it better, it is so much easier, to take the easy way out, and blame others, blame another party, blame this person that person, i am guilty of this myself. Maybe we all need to take more time for ouselves, and our innerself, and self-explore.
They do say that your physical well being, depends on your thoughts, and your mind, and having positive inner energy. I do see how someone's thought process, could have a lot to do with their actions.

Old 12-15-2010, 07:35 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,896,239 times
When I gave a few thousand to the politician of my choice, legislation I favored got passed. Is it just coincidence, or did the contribution attract positive energy?

Old 12-15-2010, 07:37 PM

15,061 posts, read 8,622,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
4. Most people recognize the minority that possesses the secret. "He has the Midas touch." In every town or city there are people who, from a young age, are known as up-and-comers. Elders with the secret see it in the young, and nurture it, and promote it. Everyone else follows one who seems to know where he is going. When I was freshly minted as a peddler, just out of school, selling a product used by both consumers and business, 22 years old, my first big deal was with a 68 year-old business owner. Everybody else in my shop was amazed that this could happen (and so was I), but I knew later that he had the secret and recognized it in me.
I would like to expound on that point just a bit in order to put the concept in more broadly understandable terms.

Everyone knows someone that is a joy to be around and talk to ... someone that lights up the room and is always in demand at social gatherings? We also know someone whom we dread being around because they literally suck the life energy from you ... you know, the person who always has a disaster brewing ... and an endless list of misfortunes, dreadful events, and poor circumstances, with their own personal dark cloud that follows them everywhere?

We even have the ability to detect this in perfect strangers ... a foreboding ... "that person just has a bad vibe" or "I just get a creepy feeling around so and so". Well, it literally is a BAD VIBE ... a bad vibration emanating from that person that makes one recoil. This is really one of the key elements to the "Secret" ... positively grounded people give off and thusly attract positive energies to them ... just as the negatives attract negative energies.

Who would you rather hang out with ... the person that keeps you laughing and feeling great ... or the depressed person, who's misery can be felt? Who would you want to do business with? Who would you buy something from?

These are the very practical matters that don't take a great deal of open mindedness to embrace and recognize as holding truth. Well, the same principles apply to the "Secret", on a deeper and more esoteric level, but applying these principles for most require an entire change in their thinking.

The statement "You can have everything you desire, but you can never have anything you want" sounds very contradictory, but only if you don't understand the mechanisms of creation. The universe wants you to have all of those things that you want ... and takes such requests literally. So when you say I want more money, and keep replaying those thoughts over and over ... the universe responds by creating that exact experience of wanting more money. This is where applying the principles of creation can get extremely tricky, and takes a complete change of thinking, which includes a tremendous amount of careful monitoring one's thoughts, statements and actions in order to avoid sending the wrong messages or vibrations.

Here's the trick ... to manifest something into your experience, you have to behave, act and FEEL that you already have it, which is no small feat when what you want is more money, and you know you are broke. You can tell yourself "I'm rich" and your conscious mind with call bull&hit ... it will say "no, you're broke ... who do you think you're fooling?" So how can you do this? The first step is to guard against telling yourself how broke you are on a constant basis. and if you are anywhere near normal, you probably do it all of the time .... see a car you like ... "I wish I could afford that" ... go grocery shopping and see the most beautiful cut of meat .. same response ...or "I wish we could afford that vacation to Maui" .... or "Man, that's a great looking 60" plasma screen" ... but .....

And then there is bill writing time ... and each bill you curse ... damned electric is outrageous this month ... or what the heck is this $439 on the visa this month? When you have too much month at the end of the money, you probably play these songs in your head more than the National Anthem is played during the entire year of the NFL season. And if you want to remain financially challenged, just keep playing those same songs. You want things to change, you've got to start dancing to a different tune.

So how do you change this? You've got to get radical ... you might start by simply waking up in the morning and say yesterday was OK, but today is going to be great. Savor that cup of coffee ... man that tastes great. Instead of cursing the traffic, thank God you have a decent car to get you back and forth, with a radio that works!! Take a daily inventory of everything you have that you appreciate ... recognizing that no matter how bad things may be ... somebody has it worse ... and would love to have what you have. Try appreciating those things ... taking nothing for granted, and watch how your mind begins to focus on the positives (things you appreciate), rather than the negative (things you dislike or missing in your life). Consistent efforts here will begin to produce results ... the things you dislike will begin to leave, and the things you appreciate will begin to multiply ...pay attention .. and notice this happening ... and acknowledge that you are doing this (it's not a coincidence. This experiential knowledge is far more powerful than 100 people trying to convince you with their examples. Once you see it work, no one can tell you otherwise. And .... stay away from those people that would love to drag you back into "reality" where you have no control and are a victim of your circumstances.

Now, without personal proof of this "Secret" actually working, it takes a leap of faith, and a commitment to fully embrace this, and setting aside any doubts. Assume this is the truth, and start working on it. There are tons of resources out their to help with this "retraining" of your mind, and because you probably have years or decades of negative programming to overcome, it's not going to be easy.

Now I do have an experience with this that I'll share .... quite a while ago, I was living in the DC area. My work in sales had hit a huge slump .. my spouse and I separated, and for the first time since I was 15 years old, I was back living at Mom's house, temporarily, while trying to get situated. My commute to work went from 15 min .. to 1 1/2 hours ... and I was disgusted with every aspect of my life ... work, home, personal ... a total disaster. I wanted out ... I wanted to literally disappear. So I stopped by the bookstore, checking out the self help section ... and found these cassette tapes ... self hypnosis ... I don't recall the exact name ... something like "Change Your Mind Change Your Life" .... and I was so at the end of my rope, I said, what the hell, it can't hurt. And so I followed the instructions ... plugged in the headphones every night before going to sleep (instructions called for 30 days), and listened to them as I fell asleep ... the hypnosis and subliminal programming was doing the work as I slept ... or so they claimed.

Well, even before the 30 days were complete (about 25 days later) I received a phone call from an old friend ... he was telling me of his good fortune in landing this huge nationwide contract (he and his father ran a small company in Florida), while voicing his wish that I would be available to come to work for them ... but he knew that my spouse would never leave the DC area where she was a very prominent television film editor. (The last time we;d seen each other was 2-3 years prior). I told him that we had separated, and that I was not only available, but was anxious to get the heck out of Dodge, the further away, the better. Well he needed someone in Texas, preferably central Texas to cover a wide expanse. But time was short, and he needed someone in place by the start of the contract ... 3 weeks away. I sent him an expenses list for relocation ... and 3 days later, check in hand, I'm on a plane to Austin ... to look for a place to live ... found an apartment that was right on the lake ... walking distance from downtown ... that normally has a waiting list, but had just become available, so I snatched it up. Flew back, packed, and loaded a truck with my stuff ... and within two weeks of that phone call, I was living in one of the best places in the country to live ... completely relocated ... moved in .. and now sitting in Orlando Florida having cocktails ... New home, new job, an entirely new life, in the blink of an eye. Everything that I'd wanted happened like magic!!

Coincidence? I think not. This is a rather dramatic example ... I mean .. really!! Here I am, hating my entire life .... you know ... asking for a new car or a raise is one thing ... asking for a new life? I'd never lived anywhere but the DC Metro area ... boom ... just like that ... a new life.

So no one can tell me this is BS ... I KNOW BETTER. But, like anything, it's easy to slip back into old bad habits .. especially given the bombardment of negative news ... negative people ... and life's normal ups and downs .. so this creating your reality thing is a life long venture ... and not a short term exercise, if you want to continue seeing amazing results.

For some people, this seems to come naturally, so little to no conscious effort is required for them. But for the rest of us ... due diligence requires constant effort ... something I have not been good at adhering to.

I'm currently reinventing my life again, at the moment.

Old 12-15-2010, 08:19 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,521,713 times
Quote:
I would like to expound on that point just a bit in order to put the concept in more broadly understandable terms.

Everyone knows someone that is a joy to be around and talk to ... someone that lights up the room and is always in demand at social gatherings? We also know someone whom we dread being around because they literally suck the life energy from you ... you know, the person who always has a disaster brewing ... and an endless list of misfortunes, dreadful events, and poor circumstances, with their own personal dark cloud that follows them everywhere?

We even have the ability to detect this in perfect strangers ... a foreboding ... "that person just has a bad vibe" or "I just get a creepy feeling around so and so". Well, it literally is a BAD VIBE ... a bad vibration emanating from that person that makes one recoil. This is really one of the key elements to the "Secret" ... positively grounded people give off and thusly attract positive energies to them ... just as the negatives attract negative energies.

Who would you rather hang out with ... the person that keeps you laughing and feeling great ... or the depressed person, who's misery can be felt? Who would you want to do business with? Who would you buy something from?

These are the very practical matters that don't take a great deal of open mindedness to embrace and recognize as holding truth. Well, the same principles apply to the "Secret", on a deeper and more esoteric level, but applying these principles for most require an entire change in their thinking.

The statement "You can have everything you desire, but you can never have anything you want" sounds very contradictory, but only if you don't understand the mechanisms of creation. The universe wants you to have all of those things that you want ... and takes such requests literally. So when you say I want more money, and keep replaying those thoughts over and over ... the universe responds by creating that exact experience of wanting more money. This is where applying the principles of creation can get extremely tricky, and takes a complete change of thinking, which includes a tremendous amount of careful monitoring one's thoughts, statements and actions in order to avoid sending the wrong messages or vibrations.

Here's the trick ... to manifest something into your experience, you have to behave, act and FEEL that you already have it, which is no small feat when what you want is more money, and you know you are broke. You can tell yourself "I'm rich" and your conscious mind with call bull&hit ... it will say "no, you're broke ... who do you think you're fooling?" So how can you do this? The first step is to guard against telling yourself how broke you are on a constant basis. and if you are anywhere near normal, you probably do it all of the time .... see a car you like ... "I wish I could afford that" ... go grocery shopping and see the most beautiful cut of meat .. same response ...or "I wish we could afford that vacation to Maui" .... or "Man, that's a great looking 60" plasma screen" ... but .....

And then there is bill writing time ... and each bill you curse ... damned electric is outrageous this month ... or what the heck is this $439 on the visa this month? When you have too much month at the end of the money, you probably play these songs in your head more than the National Anthem is played during the entire year of the NFL season. And if you want to remain financially challenged, just keep playing those same songs. You want things to change, you've got to start dancing to a different tune.

So how do you change this? You've got to get radical ... you might start by simply waking up in the morning and say yesterday was OK, but today is going to be great. Savor that cup of coffee ... man that tastes great. Instead of cursing the traffic, thank God you have a decent car to get you back and forth, with a radio that works!! Take a daily inventory of everything you have that you appreciate ... recognizing that no matter how bad things may be ... somebody has it worse ... and would love to have what you have. Try appreciating those things ... taking nothing for granted, and watch how your mind begins to focus on the positives (things you appreciate), rather than the negative (things you dislike or missing in your life). Consistent efforts here will begin to produce results ... the things you dislike will begin to leave, and the things you appreciate will begin to multiply ...pay attention .. and notice this happening ... and acknowledge that you are doing this (it's not a coincidence. This experiential knowledge is far more powerful than 100 people trying to convince you with their examples. Once you see it work, no one can tell you otherwise. And .... stay away from those people that would love to drag you back into "reality" where you have no control and are a victim of your circumstances.

Now, without personal proof of this "Secret" actually working, it takes a leap of faith, and a commitment to fully embrace this, and setting aside any doubts. Assume this is the truth, and start working on it. There are tons of resources out their to help with this "retraining" of your mind, and because you probably have years or decades of negative programming to overcome, it's not going to be easy.

Now I do have an experience with this that I'll share .... quite a while ago, I was living in the DC area. My work in sales had hit a huge slump .. my spouse and I separated, and for the first time since I was 15 years old, I was back living at Mom's house, temporarily, while trying to get situated. My commute to work went from 15 min .. to 1 1/2 hours ... and I was disgusted with every aspect of my life ... work, home, personal ... a total disaster. I wanted out ... I wanted to literally disappear. So I stopped by the bookstore, checking out the self help section ... and found these cassette tapes ... self hypnosis ... I don't recall the exact name ... something like "Change Your Mind Change Your Life" .... and I was so at the end of my rope, I said, what the hell, it can't hurt. And so I followed the instructions ... plugged in the headphones every night before going to sleep (instructions called for 30 days), and listened to them as I fell asleep ... the hypnosis and subliminal programming was doing the work as I slept ... or so they claimed.

Well, even before the 30 days were complete (about 25 days later) I received a phone call from an old friend ... he was telling me of his good fortune in landing this huge nationwide contract (he and his father ran a small company in Florida), while voicing his wish that I would be available to come to work for them ... but he knew that my spouse would never leave the DC area where she was a very prominent television film editor. (The last time we;d seen each other was 2-3 years prior). I told him that we had separated, and that I was not only available, but was anxious to get the heck out of Dodge, the further away, the better. Well he needed someone in Texas, preferably central Texas to cover a wide expanse. But time was short, and he needed someone in place by the start of the contract ... 3 weeks away. I sent him an expenses list for relocation ... and 3 days later, check in hand, I'm on a plane to Austin ... to look for a place to live ... found an apartment that was right on the lake ... walking distance from downtown ... that normally has a waiting list, but had just become available, so I snatched it up. Flew back, packed, and loaded a truck with my stuff ... and within two weeks of that phone call, I was living in one of the best places in the country to live ... completely relocated ... moved in .. and now sitting in Orlando Florida having cocktails ... New home, new job, an entirely new life, in the blink of an eye. Everything that I'd wanted happened like magic!!

Coincidence? I think not. This is a rather dramatic example ... I mean .. really!! Here I am, hating my entire life .... you know ... asking for a new car or a raise is one thing ... asking for a new life? I'd never lived anywhere but the DC Metro area ... boom ... just like that ... a new life.

So no one can tell me this is BS ... I KNOW BETTER. But, like anything, it's easy to slip back into old bad habits .. especially given the bombardment of negative news ... negative people ... and life's normal ups and downs .. so this creating your reality thing is a life long venture ... and not a short term exercise, if you want to continue seeing amazing results.

For some people, this seems to come naturally, so little to no conscious effort is required for them. But for the rest of us ... due diligence requires constant effort ... something I have not been good at adhering to.

I'm currently reinventing my life again, at the moment.
WHY are you convinced your change of attitude, or listening to those tapes, caused all this? Could the phone call which changed your life have come without it?

Old 12-15-2010, 08:21 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,042,570 times
You are what you think you are.

Old 12-15-2010, 09:06 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,405,709 times
Quote:
....I'm currently reinventing my life again, at the moment.
For any who doubt the power, I can attest that this man, GuyNTexas, was just a few short days ago, totally wrapped up in a web of negativity about which he could do next to nothing--except fester. (You can go through CD posts on other threads to see what I mean.) Read this thread; he is a changed man.

The reinvention he speaks of, how much will it prove to be worth, in money or happiness or fulfillment? How much better off is he?

Nothing external changed. All the magic is happening in his mind, for now. It is the first step into turning thoughts into reality. I can't know the details, but the possibilities he has today are infinitely larger than they were just one week ago. Attitude is hard currency in the fetal stage.

Me, I was arguing with Guy a week ago, pretty much promoting that life is rainbows and the laughter of children and other wondrous things. And smug, because life is grand. But now I'm getting the itch; maybe my own comfort zone is getting stale. (It is pretty comfortable; house on the lake, condo in the sun, nothing extravagent but a great life.) If I worked it right, I could handle three times the business and make four times the money...and I can just begin to visualize it.

Action is the child of belief. For my part, I have not yet committed to the belief that I ought to be making a million dollars a year...but I know it is out there if I want it. That belief, if it takes root, would end up being worth $750,000 a year.

The miracle is that everybody Guy touches is better off, too, as a result of his changed mental state. A positive feedback loop will take hold; the better off those around us are, the better off we will be. And what is the value of all that improvement for all those people? A few kind words from a stranger on a message board, after some heated and thoughtful debate, helped the positive forces take hold. And the whole world is different now.

I don't care if you prefer to call it the grace of God, or The Force, or the secret, or what: the third great lesson of my religion is that magic is real. (I remembered it!)

Old 12-15-2010, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
For any who doubt the power, I can attest that this man, GuyNTexas, was just a few short days ago, totally wrapped up in a web of negativity about which he could do next to nothing--except fester. (You can go through CD posts on other threads to see what I mean.) Read this thread; he is a changed man.

The reinvention he speaks of, how much will it prove to be worth, in money or happiness or fulfillment? How much better off is he?

Nothing external changed. All the magic is happening in his mind, for now. It is the first step into turning thoughts into reality. I can't know the details, but the possibilities he has today are infinitely larger than they were just one week ago. Attitude is hard currency in the fetal stage.

Me, I was arguing with Guy a week ago, pretty much promoting that life is rainbows and the laughter of children and other wondrous things. And smug, because life is grand. But now I'm getting the itch; maybe my own comfort zone is getting stale. (It is pretty comfortable; house on the lake, condo in the sun, nothing extravagent but a great life.) If I worked it right, I could handle three times the business and make four times the money...and I can just begin to visualize it.

Action is the child of belief. For my part, I have not yet committed to the belief that I ought to be making a million dollars a year...but I know it is out there if I want it. That belief, if it takes root, would end up being worth $750,000 a year.

The miracle is that everybody Guy touches is better off, too, as a result of his changed mental state. A positive feedback loop will take hold; the better off those around us are, the better off we will be. And what is the value of all that improvement for all those people? A few kind words from a stranger on a message board, after some heated and thoughtful debate, helped the positive forces take hold. And the whole world is different now.

I don't care if you prefer to call it the grace of God, or The Force, or the secret, or what: the third great lesson of my religion is that magic is real. (I remembered it!)
Wow .... just plain old .... Wow.

Old 12-15-2010, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
WHY are you convinced your change of attitude, or listening to those tapes, caused all this? Could the phone call which changed your life have come without it?
Because I don't believe in coincidences?

Sure, that call could have come without it ... there is simply no way of proving otherwise. But have you ever heard of the placebo effect? You know, when someone is given a sugar pill and told it is a power drug to cure XYZ disease? Well, how do you explain it's ability to cure when it was nothing more than a sugar pill? Because the patient believed in his mind that this sugar pill would cure the disease, and so that "belief" is in fact what provided the cure. There is no other rational explanation in such cases.

Old 12-15-2010, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Oh, no. I've never been a "go with the flow" kind of guy. In fact, just the opposite is true. I've spent my whole life swimming against the flow and still do. It's just my nature, I suppose or, more likely, I take a perverse pleasure from being "different."

But, I digress.

I would be foolish not to admit that life is full of choices and that choices have consequences. You've more than adequately outlined several of them. But, you have to admit that the results of those choices are only known after the fact. I may, indeed, let go of the steering wheel at a sharp curve and expect to wreck. However, the possiblity exists that I may not. Therefore, I can't draw the firm conclusion that a release of the steering wheel WILL result in a wreck. I can only conclude that it probably will.
Well, if you reread your initial post ... it seems that you were insinuating that your actions are in large measure irrelevant in comparison to situation and circumstance. Now you seem to agree that those actions do have consequences. We're making progress!

Quote:
It's the same with life choices. I can expect a certain outcome, even dream of it and plan for it, but it may not turn out as I expected. There are too many variables to categorically state that it WILL. The best I can do is believe it probably will. But, it just as probably may not. And, who can say whether I might not have arrived at the same destination by doing nothing, rather than doing something? Since the ultimate outcome is unknown at the time deliberate actions are taken, it must therefore follow that any actions I take may be equally practical or pointless.
Because, if you simply stare at the plate of beans, rather than diving your fork into them and lifting that fork to your mouth, you're less likely to have gas tomorrow.

Quote:
As an example, let's say I want to go from Dallas to Ft. Worth. There are several routes which will accomplish that and I may chose whichever one I want and end up at my planned destination. But, I may also just pick one a random, without any study or effort, and still end up in Ft. Worth, so what have I gained by the extra effort to chose one? Am I in Ft. Worth because I wanted to be, or simply because the road I was on went there?
Because I live in Texas, and I've driven from Ft Worth to Dallas, and I can assure you and anyone reading this, that doing so blindly will not likely produce desirable results.

Quote:
Here's another, more practical example. Let's say I have the goal of living in good health until, say, age 80. I'm planning for it, building my life around what I believe is the almost certain prospect of a long and healthy life, IF I do all the right things. It's mind over matter, right? So, I exercise faithfully, eat right, avoid cigarettes and alcohol, eliminate stress from my life, do all the things which promise a long and healthy life and I make it to 80 just fine.

Question: Did I make to 80 because of the things I did and didn't do? Might I have not also made it without doing those things? Who can say? Once I arrive, I can claim the victory, but I can't prove it. I can look around to others who did the same thing for validation, but I can also see numerous more who tried and failed and, more importantly, others who DIDN'T try, but got there anyhow. From the vantage point of success, I can do a retrospective look at my life and say it was because I willed it, but that's not necessarily the case, is it? Of course, I can't claim the victory enroute, so the whole journey is reduced to little more than an exercise in playing odds. In other words, gambling. I gambled that I could affect my own future and, while it appears that gamble paid off, there's no proof that it actually did.
The better question is, why would you want to live tobacco and alcohol free for 80 years? I did it for only 15 minutes and I was miserable!

Of course, I'm playing with you here ... because in each of the above analogies, you're asking to prove a negative, and that is impossible. You have a headache ... you take a couple of aspirin ... 30 minutes later your headache is gone ...... is it a coincidence, or just a conspiracy theory? We could take it a step or two further ... was it really aspirin you took? Did you really have a headache?

At the end of the day, what you are asking has no definitive answer, but that's not an indictment on the topic, but on the question, and the only thing I can say is that in keeping with this fundamental premise .... whatever you believe will be the truth for you, and the corresponding results either random or deliberate ... which only you can decide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies