Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 10:54 AM

12,282 posts, read 13,238,044 times

Advertisements

How come no one is calling the purse wielding woman a Hero? She risked her life so that others might live. She went for it against all odds and slammed the gunman with her purse.

Fla. School Board Member Socks it to Gunman - CBS News Video
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2010, 11:00 AM

12,270 posts, read 11,328,716 times
You are right, she is a hero. I was astonished when she came up behind him and took a swing.

Old 12-15-2010, 11:10 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,930,375 times
Ban purses! How dare women use them as unregistered weapons!

<sarc.>

Seriously, who are these sissified males on the school board who just sit there and fail to react, fail to get off their backsides and out of their chairs, fail to actually do something?

Old 12-15-2010, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
You are right, she is a hero. I was astonished when she came up behind him and took a swing.
In retrospect, too bad she didn't just loop that long purse strap around his neck and pull him down to the ground. (Easy to armchair QB though)

Luckily, the only one he shot was himself.

Old 12-15-2010, 11:36 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,550,845 times
Actually she was quite stupid to do what she did. he could have easily killed her. She would have been smarter to go and get police and let them handle it.

I just saw a video of a cop being attacked by a man he pulled over and this woman came from behind and helped him by beating the man who was attacking the cop. That woman is a hero.

Old 12-15-2010, 11:37 AM

13,778 posts, read 9,661,538 times
Some thoughts on the incident.

She is a hero IMO because she came back after being released from the room and did what she could to save the lives of her fellow boardmembers. Even though her act was stupid, she used what she had at hand in a selfless gesture. History is full of dead heros who made the selfless gesture beyond their own safety. This woman was extremely lucky to live through her actions.

As far as the other board members are concerned, there is an old saying that when someone has a gun pointed at you, "as long as they're talking, they ain't shootin." This was the best strategy the members had, was to keep him talking while they buy time waiting for outside help. In the end, the strategy worked.

Old 12-15-2010, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
Some thoughts on the incident.

She is a hero IMO because she came back after being released from the room and did what she could to save the lives of her fellow boardmembers. Even though her act was stupid, she used what she had at hand in a selfless gesture. History is full of dead heros who made the selfless gesture beyond their own safety. This woman was extremely lucky to live through her actions.

As far as the other board members are concerned, there is an old saying that when someone has a gun pointed at you, "as long as they're talking, they ain't shootin." This was the best strategy the members had, was to keep him talking while they buy time waiting for outside help. In the end, the strategy worked.
Agreed, a hero heads to confront danger while others are fleeing.

As to the other board members, they had a few seconds in the window of opportunity where the man holding them at gunpoint was distracted by this woman's actions of hitting his hand holding the gun with her purse. They failed to make the slightest effort to capitalize upon that window of opportunity. It is this to which my previous post referred.

It was either dumb luck or divine providence that when he later fired at the school board members that he failed to hit any of his targets. So, yes, the strategy worked. But care to repeat it again and see if the shots are all misses? Want to take that gamble on the law of averages?

Old 12-15-2010, 11:53 AM

3,857 posts, read 6,957,099 times
In any hostage situation it comes down to a "Let's Roll" moment where hostages calculate that action is better than no action. Should I risk sacrificing myself for the greater good? Will other's support my action? (nobody took advantage of the purse slap). Am I too far away to succeed in rushing him? Action is not always the best option. In this case luckily everyone survived. Too bad she wasn't packing in her purse.

Old 12-15-2010, 12:05 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,697,144 times
It was a heroic act. Stupid? life threatening? Sure!!! but all acts of heroism are just that. She did what she could because she was pissed off and fearful for her fellow board members. An against all odds moment that thank goodness did not get her killed.

I think the guys did what their experience trained them to do. Talk and reason. You go with the skills you have and the experience/training at your disposal.

Glad no one got shot but the shooter. Good thing that ex-LEO security guard was nearby.

Old 12-15-2010, 12:12 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,442,508 times
Chalk one up again today for a hero, which earlier i read another post of a hero who saved not only his life but a young teen. Any one who risks their own life to save others, in my book is a hero.

No matter what, this was a selfless act of courage, you don't say but what if, these people are safe, and this could have been a much different ending, for not the courage of this women.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies