Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 11:15 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times

Advertisements

This slideshow, by the US army, was intended for army personnel in the field but if you have a smart phone, you might want to read it, too. It's about your privacy and something you may not be aware of.

"In August of 2010, Adam Savage, of “MythBusters,” took a photo of his vehicle using his smartphone. He then posted the photo to his Twitter account including the phrase “off to work.” Since the photo was taken by his smartphone, the image contained metadata reveling the exact geographical location the photo was taken. So by simply taking and posting a photo, Savage revealed the exact location of his home, the vehicle he drives and the time he leaves for work."

http://www.michaelyon-online.com/ima...12-geotags.pdf

I guess now I have to look at my camera menus more carefully.

Especially read slide 14.

I'm posting it here because the people who post in the Science and Technology forum probably already know this. I'm thinking people who do not want to be found by a stalker or an abusive spouse/partner/boyfriend/girlfriend or even by a collection agency should know how a simple photo posting to twitter, picasa, flicker, etc., could reveal your location. I don't remember reading that anywhere on the photo sharing website where I post my photos.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2010, 11:19 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,934,013 times
Just goes to show the more one posts about him/herself online, especially via social networking sites, the less expectation for any personal privacy. Isn't the Library of Congress recording all Twitterers tweets? In otherwords, the government it keeping a record too.

Old 12-15-2010, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Just goes to show the more one posts about him/herself online, especially via social networking sites, the less expectation for any personal privacy. Isn't the Library of Congress recording all Twitterers tweets? In otherwords, the government it keeping a record too.
What concerns me more, is that people can find you who want to do you physical harm if they keep a continuing record of your movements over a period of time.

Old 12-15-2010, 11:26 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,933,813 times
I have a touch screen phone, and I don't use the camera for anything. I have a digital camera, with flash, specially built for that purpose

Old 12-15-2010, 11:30 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
You can edit this information using something like Exifer or Irfanview.

While it is a privacy concern if you're posting these images it's also nice feature for those that want utilize it. It would be nice for example if you could input coordinates into the device itself... Grandma's house, Cabin etc. This could then automatically be added as meta data. With the right program you could even automate it after taking it.

Manufacturers need to explain features like this better and should have warnings right in the beginning of the manual of the possible implications. Something like this should be off as default.

Old 12-15-2010, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
You can edit this information using something like Exifer or Irfanview.

While it is a privacy concern if you're posting these images it's also nice feature for those that want utilize it. It would be nice for example if you could input coordinates into the device itself... Grandma's house, Cabin etc. This could then automatically be added as meta data. With the right program you could even automate it after taking it.

Manufacturers need to explain features like this better and should have warnings right in the beginning of the manual of the possible implications. Something like this should be off as default.
I totally agree. It should be "off" as a default.

Old 12-15-2010, 12:00 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,934,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
What concerns me more, is that people can find you who want to do you physical harm if they keep a continuing record of your movements over a period of time.
Yes, people must be careful. Technology allows those with evil intent to do their research and deeds much more easily than ever before.

Old 12-16-2010, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
I have a touch screen phone, and I don't use the camera for anything. I have a digital camera, with flash, specially built for that purpose
The slideshow says some cameras have it, too.

Old 12-16-2010, 08:32 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
The slideshow says some cameras have it, too.
It would need GPS. I'm pretty sure that's only going to be found on some very high end DSLR's. Matter of fact a quick shows an add on for some of the Canon models... these are professional cameras that cost thousands.

Old 12-16-2010, 11:44 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,259,715 times
How do yo tell if your phone is a smartphone? My new one is internet ready and one can add apps and has a touch screen and navigation. I would be interested because I do use the camera. For some reason it takes far better pictures of my puppy in cfs lights (the brightness is a lot easier for me than the old type so I strictly use them). My digital camera takes lousey indoor pics though it has more pixels.

I would like to post some pics of my pup but if its got my address attached to it no thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies