Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2010, 07:58 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,247,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
I own a house that is 950sqft, and would hate to own anything bigger. My highest heating bill to date is $42, I don't have to worry about cleaning, I have a patio, but no yard to worry about (I am two blocks away from a park, so I can hang out there and never have to mow a lawn!). I have two bedrooms, and office and plenty of space to entertain...I have seating for nine people in my family room without bringing any extra chairs in. Why would I want to spend all day every weekend working on a house when I could be out actually enjoying myself? Someone mentioned a 1000sqft master bedroom...why?? Do you sleep in your bedroom or play tennis in it?
I would love 200 more square feet, but just one more room devoted to shelves and storage would do fine. Unfortunately I'd have to add one on. But when I look out the back door there is a nice long yard. Once the fence goes up I'm doing raised bed planters and cement block patio. The side will be flagstones and planters. The front will be planters and a tiny amount of lawn allowed to exist. The grass here is a bunch of stuff which isn't grass and grows a foot with a little water and some sunshine. I like the idea of mowing with a weedeater.

Having come from an apartment where the bedroom was more office than bedroom I took the larger of the two for the office. Currently mostly in the livingroom waiting for the floor to be redone but man will it be nice when... The bedroom has room for a queen sized bed (two medium sized dogs need their space too) and space behind it for bins for clothes. One beautiful dresser and a bookcase so the foam mattress doesn't slide on the floor. The walls are done in a mural of a sunset behind me like a wall display and a sunrise in front of me with my favorite tree from the yard. Leading to the door is noon and sunshine. There is ONE small area of floor. But I found that when the bedroom was small and intimate and used to read and sleep I slept a lot better.

1k sf bedroom????? madness.... I'd be dividing it up into multiple rooms with some framing and drywall.

I can see someone with four kids needing more space but most people who are one or two person household ( unless space is needed for a working office ) can do quite well with less space and much less work. Now the Mcmansions... anyone for the Waltons again somewhere down the road?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2010, 07:58 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by henrjam View Post
I can relate to that, how about the formal dining room.
I like a formal dining room, though ours isn't exactly "formal". It's nice not to have to look at dirty dishes, the stove, etc when eating dinner. When we moved into this house we only had one table/chairs set, so it went into the DR. Later DH built a low table for the kids that was in the "eat-in" part of the kitchen. Still later, we remodeled the kitchen to put in an eating bar instead of a table. We still eat dinner in the dining room, though.

Old 12-17-2010, 08:06 PM

37,127 posts, read 42,189,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I like a formal dining room, though ours isn't exactly "formal". It's nice not to have to look at dirty dishes, the stove, etc when eating dinner. When we moved into this house we only had one table/chairs set, so it went into the DR. Later DH built a low table for the kids that was in the "eat-in" part of the kitchen. Still later, we remodeled the kitchen to put in an eating bar instead of a table. We still eat dinner in the dining room, though.
One of the things that cracked me up when I used to tour model homes was all the different eating areas. The forma dining room, the breakfast room, the island or pennsula with stools, etc. I don't eat that much! LOL!

When we remodeled our house we actually moved the kitchen and created a large eating space by baying the area adjacent. I've seen it called a "country kitchen". I have the table set in the bay, seating for 6 but expandable to 8, and 2 additional stools at the island but it's all right there in the same room. It's a pretty big area though.

Old 12-17-2010, 08:08 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,081,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
My house is 720 sq feet. I'd like one room as a general storage room but thats all. I love the look of my 1930's house and the way its not big. If I were your gf I'd tell you that if you must have all the space you can hire a maid to clean more than the useful parts of the kitchen and laundry room. Huge spaces are a LOT of work and if you aren't doing it yourself, then maybe you should.
I think its funny that you tell me to hire a maid, and then tell me I should do the work myself..

I couldnt live in a home smaller than my bedroom.. If it works for you, go for it.
Quote:
If I was your neighbors I'd be casting a glare at your house for being a scourge on the neighborhood. I bet it looks like a big and totally out of place example of excess in a neighborhood where most people are happy with what they have got.
Its not like the neighbors didnt have to approve the building permits, and considering the house was added on multiple times over multiple years, the neighbors approved every addition. And no, actually it doesnt look out of place.. I've got 4 times the yard they have, and it doesnt look out of place at all.. I'm very happy with what I've got, I've got no problems with people who have smaller homes and happy with that. So why do you?
Quote:
When people supersize a house in an ordinary neighborhood it always looks out of place and can mess with the value of everyone's house. Who wants a house next to you where the neighbor can spy on your yard any time they want?
Because I have a larger home I can spy on everyone else? Hows that work? Do you think I have a sky telescope on one of the wings that I can convert into spy equipment? And I wouldnt bring everyone elses values down, everyone elses values would be boosted by a larger home that sells for more money. Its my house value in question because it would come down to other home levels..

Old 12-17-2010, 08:27 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,208,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
OR understand that some are achievers, some have worked hard all their life so they can afford the little luxuries of life and......some haven't, which makes them envious and jealous others. It shouldn't matter one bit to others if I have a 5000sf home or a 1250sf home.

If I've earned the money, I can spend it any way I please.
Very true.

Old 12-17-2010, 08:32 PM

565 posts, read 485,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I like a formal dining room.
Sure, but only with candlelight.

Old 12-17-2010, 08:38 PM

220 posts, read 371,934 times
Quote:
Just a question.
...But then, why do people dream about owning monopolies and generating an income equal to the revenue of some third world countries? I think it's about power and notoriety.

I don't own property, but I wouldn't mind a small ground level cottage, with three bedrooms, two bathrooms, lots of French doors and more space than I have now. Do I need that to be happy? Not at all, but "wouldn't it be loverly?"

Old 12-17-2010, 08:42 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,657,742 times
Quote:
Sure, but only with candlelight.
Red China goes good with a black tablecloth.

Old 12-17-2010, 08:46 PM

23 posts, read 29,977 times
Quote:
Just a question.
Homes and cars are status symbols! Sign of success! It is funny really rich people are not as showy though. Can I skip to really rich?

Old 12-17-2010, 08:55 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,657,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krantcents View Post
Homes and cars are status symbols! Sign of success! It is funny really rich people are not as showy though. Can I skip to really rich?

Generally their clothes and other posessions are very expensive but highly understated. It takes a lot of money to have products made with the best quality, yet look rather ordinary. I once found Joe Alioto's(Jr) watch after an event I provided tecnical support and it looked like a Walmart timex but it was a Patek Phillippe with alligator strap and worth 20,000 dollars. Given to him by his dad and engraved. He was sure happy to have it back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies