Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2010, 07:21 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,400,833 times

Advertisements

I bought a large home for investment purposes. No matter what the housing market is like when I retire, I will be able to sell my home and fully pay for another home one quarter its size with money left over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2010, 07:31 AM

23,433 posts, read 17,113,855 times
Default government control of dreams

'Dreams' and 'big' are relative terms.

A dream is indeed that, a fantasy that sets the direction of hopes and plans or may be literal.

How sad dreams should be limited or extinguished.

A big house may be a tax write off.

A big house might be a status symbol important to work or marketing to show an investment with you is wise as 'look what I have earned, invest with me'.

A big house generates mondo local taxes to be used so wisely by local towns.

Imagine the materials that go into that house. Keeps lots of manufacturers in business.

Old 12-20-2010, 07:34 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,181,310 times
Big is the American way.

Get in your SUV by yourself, eat your supersized meal while driving to an enormous discount store then pull into your four car garage so you can go home to your 5000sqft home.

What a person NEEDS doesn't ever enter the equation in this typical American dream.

Old 12-20-2010, 07:38 AM

4,209 posts, read 3,583,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
I bought a large home for investment purposes. No matter what the housing market is like when I retire, I will be able to sell my home and fully pay for another home one quarter its size with money left over.

Our house is an investment, also, and we will just hold on to it until the market turns around. I am in the same boat as you are with our house.

We have over 4,000 square feet and 3 people living here. It is perfect for us as we have large rooms and our house is designed perfectly to entertain - which we do a lot of. Parties, dinner parties, bonfires out back, poker nights in the game room/bar room, oyster roasts and so forth. On most occassions, I would rather have friends and family over to enjoy good food and company than go out to a restuarant or bar.

My husband is a fortunate (I say this with a straight face) residential and commercial builder. We have been very blessed through this economy. We were not left holding the bag too badly when things turned down and he actually has had the best and busiest year ever this past year with loads more on our books for next year. He has a great reputation and builds to an old standard not seen everywhere. He builds everything from 200,00.00 homes to 5,000,000.00 and all get the same quality of construction.

Our house could be deemed a smaller 'mcmansion' by some, but is most definitley built very well. A previous comment was made on this thread that large homes are not built well and that is not true!

When we do move, we will probably not scale down in size much - just look for a more premium lot. As I have said before, to each his own! What works for one may not work for another - neither is right nor wrong. Only jealousy brings on judgement!!

Old 12-20-2010, 07:41 AM

44,256 posts, read 64,216,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Big is the American way.

Get in your SUV by yourself, eat your supersized meal while driving to an enormous discount store then pull into your four car garage so you can go home to your 5000sqft home.

What a person NEEDS doesn't ever enter the equation in this typical American dream.
Unless you are living in one 10 x 10 room with only a cot and a toothbrush, you really can't make judgments about what people NEED. Most of what EVERYONE in this country has is about WANT and not NEED.

Old 12-20-2010, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Big is the American way.

Nice attitude!

NEEDS are determined by each individual personally and are not subject to another's opinion. What I need may be different than what you need, but it is not your right or mine to judge the other.....or form an opinion.

It is so funny to see that the people whom do think they can judge what others need are the ones that are jealous and unhappy with their own lives. Concentrate on yourself and good things may come your way is what I say.

Old 12-20-2010, 07:46 AM

23,433 posts, read 17,113,855 times
Odd, how when people are forced into a lifestyle by lack of dreams, materials and resources, rather than choice, they become so holy in extolling their perspective.

I'm talking nations here not ghettos.

Also painting everyone in all the states, that constitute the United States, as being of one mind, speaks to the ignorance and blind prejudice that exists.

Old 12-20-2010, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Unless you are living in one 10 x 10 room with only a cot and a toothbrush, you really can't make judgments about what people NEED. Most of what EVERYONE in this country has is about WANT and not NEED.
No...actually I am quite comfortable saying no family of 3 NEEDS 5000sqft. I have a 950 sqft home, and it IS much more than I need, but then again, I realize that and admit it. I just wish those people living in McMansions could admit that they are living in an enormous home because of a want, not a need.

Nothing wrong with going after things you want, but realize it is a want, not a need!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stayinformed40 View Post
Nice attitude!

NEEDS are determined by each individual personally and are not subject to another's opinion. What I need may be different than what you need, but it is not your right or mine to judge the other.....or form an opinion.

It is so funny to see that the people whom do think they can judge what others need are the ones that are jealous and unhappy with their own lives. Concentrate on yourself and good things may come your way is what I say.

Needs are NOT determined by individual personality. Needs are determined by what you...well...need to get by. I am not jealous of anyone. I think it would be environmentally and socially irresponsible for me to own a 5000sqft home, for example. I am not jealous of someone who has an enormous home, I am bewildered by that person. I know people who spend more heating their home than I pay in property tax. I know people who spend 6-7 hours every weekend on yardwork. Imagine what good you could do if you had a smaller home that required less upkeep and spent that time helping others! I am bewildered by people who think they need an 800sqft master bedroom. It is a place to sleep!

You are confusing wants and needs. If you WANT a larger home, then great! Go for it. But don't try to claim that you NEED a home that big. Needs are fairly concrete, measurable things, and I am quite comfortable saying that (unless you have extenuating circumstances like having six children or you run a business from your home), you do not need a huge house.

Old 12-20-2010, 07:56 AM

Quote:
No...actually I am quite comfortable saying no family of 3 NEEDS 5000sqft. I have a 950 sqft home, and it IS much more than I need, but then again, I realize that and admit it. I just wish those people living in McMansions could admit that they are living in an enormous home because of a want, not a need.

Nothing wrong with going after things you want, but realize it is a want, not a need!

Needs are NOT determined by individual personality. Needs are determined by what you...well...need to get by. I am not jealous of anyone. I think it would be environmentally and socially irresponsible for me to own a 5000sqft home, for example. I am not jealous of someone who has an enormous home, I am bewildered by that person. I know people who spend more heating their home than I pay in property tax. I know people who spend 6-7 hours every weekend on yardwork. Imagine what good you could do if you had a smaller home that required less upkeep and spent that time helping others! I am bewildered by people who think they need an 800sqft master bedroom. It is a place to sleep!

You are confusing wants and needs. If you WANT a larger home, then great! Go for it. But don't try to claim that you NEED a home that big. Needs are fairly concrete, measurable things, and I am quite comfortable saying that (unless you have extenuating circumstances like having six children or you run a business from your home), you do not need a huge house.

LOL! You are so consumed with jealousy that it is beyond laughable. Get over your judgemental self and stop thinking you are capable of determining what anyone WANTS or NEEDS.

Old 12-20-2010, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stayinformed40 View Post
LOL! You are so consumed with jealousy that it is beyond laughable. Get over your judgemental self and stop thinking you are capable of determining what anyone WANTS or NEEDS.
Did you read what I wrote?

I am in a position to financially afford a house three times the size of the one I currently own. (And before I bought my 2br/1ba home, I walked through several 4br/3ba houses). My mortgage is well less than half of what I can afford.

Trust me on this, I am far from jealous. When you want to have an adult conversation about the ideological and societal benefits of smaller homes (which is to me, the heart of the issue), let me know, until then, stay quiet and let the rest of us talk. OK champ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies