Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 07:10 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,337,915 times

Advertisements

I did not want a big house. I just wanted this land.

We remolded this farm house.

I understand the owners had 15/18 children.

Now, it is just four bedrooms, two and a have bathrooms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2011, 07:17 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,850,642 times
I want a big house... cause the style that I am going for is going to take up a lot of room... not because I want a "big" house... why are some under the impression that people build big houses to be "big"...

Old 03-17-2011, 07:17 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,197,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
I did not want a big house. I just wanted this land.

We remolded this farm house.

I understand the owners had 15/18 children.

Now, it is just four bedrooms, two and a have bathrooms.
How many bedrooms did it used to have? That's a lot of kids to pack into any house!

Old 03-17-2011, 07:28 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,337,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detshen View Post
How many bedrooms did it used to have? That's a lot of kids to pack into any house!
I am not sure.

It was already gutted.

The house is 4000 square foot.

Old 03-17-2011, 07:32 PM

12,946 posts, read 13,336,259 times
We retired to this nice 2,100 sq.ft. house in central Texas about 15 years ago. It suits our needs, and if we had anything bigger it would just fill up with more stuff..

Old 03-17-2011, 07:51 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,735,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
To answer the OP's question I think huge houses are mostly to show people's wealth and enhance their status. .
Not true. I have a big house and could care less about showing my wealth and don't need to enhance my status in any way.

I enjoy entertaining... and need a big house for that.

I also enjoy the freedom that large space provides. It has nothing to do with ego and everything to do with enjoying the fruits of one's labor.

Old 03-17-2011, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Not true. I have a big house and could care less about showing my wealth and don't need to enhance my status in any way.

I enjoy entertaining... and need a big house for that.

I also enjoy the freedom that large space provides. It has nothing to do with ego and everything to do with enjoying the fruits of one's labor.
What freedom does a large space provide? I honestly don't understand that. I felt most free when I lived in my tiniest apt. I'm not saying I want to go back to that, but there were some benefits to keeping life so simple, easy to clean, nothing to steal, so no worries of that, no temptation to keep "stuff," I really hate "stuff."

Old 03-17-2011, 08:35 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,735,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detshen View Post
What freedom does a large space provide? I honestly don't understand that. I felt most free when I lived in my tiniest apt. I'm not saying I want to go back to that, but there were some benefits to it.
I enjoy the space to collect the things I enjoy. I like having a garage big enough to store all my vehicles. I like having a closet that is big enough to store all my clothes. I like having a walk in shower that is big enough to move around in and not even have a door. I like a living area that's big enough to entertain 40 guests. I like my kitchen that is big enough for all my family to get in and have a cooking party. I love my big house and it has nothing to do with ego. It's very functional.

Old 03-17-2011, 08:46 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,940,301 times
I bet their electric bills are atrocious.

Old 03-17-2011, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
I enjoy the space to collect the things I enjoy. I like having a garage big enough to store all my vehicles. I like having a closet that is big enough to store all my clothes. I like having a walk in shower that is big enough to move around in and not even have a door. I like a living area that's big enough to entertain 40 guests. I like my kitchen that is big enough for all my family to get in and have a cooking party. I love my big house and it has nothing to do with ego. It's very functional.
To each his/her own. Like I said, I HATE stuff so I don't need or want storage space, even clothes, I give tons away every year. My small house does have a large kitchen, and an amazing double shower so one doesn't necessarily need a huge house to get those things. I prefer going out for entertainment, I love my home to be my cozy haven. I'm not criticizing you for choosing a different way, people should do whatever is right for them, I do think some people don't really think enough about what they are doing, or choosing (in general, not you).

I don't think every person who has a huge house is using it as a status symbol, but I do think our culture encourages people to buy as big as they can afford, with no regard to whether they need the space or not. I could afford a bigger house, I looked at some, but obviously I don't want or need one, if I were to buy one just to show how successful I was it would be dumb and wasteful. I'd rather spend the extra money on travel, culture, and sometimes supporting myself while I enjoy life more by working less (I'm self employed).

Last edited by detshen; 03-17-2011 at 09:04 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies