Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 09:21 PM

43 posts, read 69,558 times

Advertisements

I was using different websites and have noticed that one in particular uses the power of censorship to remove facts about what you write. Has anybody else found the same on any websites? There was a study done by Google, regarding website censorship and it is very interesting.

If you have found that your information, or comments are being censored for no reason, except personal, subjective opinions, please post it here. If so, there are many sources on the Internet to report such censorship. I cannot post the URL here, but they are easy to find using any search engine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2010, 05:01 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,079,627 times
Don't go to "Chickenhawk" Charlie Daniels website and think you can have a debate.

Old 12-30-2010, 11:54 PM

43 posts, read 69,558 times
With all of this discussion about Neutral Internet and not giving any one service a "head Start" is probably good for us.

I have found several websites that censor your information, even though it is FACTS, or a SCIENTIFIC point of view. Many websites have become and received a reputation for censoring information posted, based on the premise that the "People In Charge" are conservative, Christian people, who will not allow any information, or helpful details, as the postings are against their personal, Religious, Conservative beliefs! It is terrible and I have had this happen to me!

For instance, I am a Gay male, who interests differ from any conservative Christians, that it is difficult to have neutral websites, with open minded policies.

Old 12-31-2010, 12:03 AM

250 posts, read 379,472 times
There used to be a Buddhist discussion site that was notorious for censoring threads and comments that did not fit with their view of Buddhism. I had threads and posts deleted that questioned a moderator and his verbally abusive treatment of some of my statements. They are, fortunately, no more but censorship and fanatical views exist in the most unlikely of places.

I love freedom of speech, even if it means stupid people get to talk.

Old 12-31-2010, 12:08 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times
Only the sites that are specific to a particular belief and don't take kindly to anyone challenging that. I'm alright with that I guess, it's not like they invited me to come and post contrary remarks

Old 12-31-2010, 12:18 AM

30,353 posts, read 51,937,226 times
It's not really "censorship" if you're talking about a privately owned site... they have the right to allow or remove anything they want, unless it's government sponsored. Just as in your own home, you have the right to turn off a TV program you don't want your child watching. I had to study the meaning of institutional censorship in graduate school, since I was studying to become a librarian - and it's a HUGE issue for us librarians.

Example: Removing books from a public library because one staff member or patron finds it offensive is censorship, especially if you don't allow inter-library loans of said title. Deciding not to order a book because it has no value to the collection is NOT censorship, just book selection; usually in these cases we offer inter-library loans, and will find you that book if you request. We simply don't have the money or space to order everything, so it's a librarian's job to decide how to spend our budgets. If the librarian uses only their personal feelings to determine this, however, you are crossing the line of censorship. Does that all make sense?

I don't support institutional censorship in any way, shape or form... but if I visit somebody's personal website, I will not complain if they remove my comments. Why? Because it's their website, not being sponsored by the government or public, and I can always find another site where my comments will be welcomed.

Old 12-31-2010, 12:22 AM

P.S. As a former moderator of City-Data, I can assure you they don't practice censorship... posts are only deleted or edited according to the Terms of Service, which you agree to upon registering. One of my biggest pet-peeves was when a member cried about being censored, yet they had posted something that clearly violated our TOS. Don't whine if you didn't read those rules carefully!

Old 12-31-2010, 12:27 AM

38,642 posts, read 26,374,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonioLarabi View Post
I was using different websites and have noticed that one in particular uses the power of censorship to remove facts about what you write. Has anybody else found the same on any websites? There was a study done by Google, regarding website censorship and it is very interesting.

If you have found that your information, or comments are being censored for no reason, except personal, subjective opinions, please post it here. If so, there are many sources on the Internet to report such censorship. I cannot post the URL here, but they are easy to find using any search engine.

As for Google funding a study on Internet censorship, I might take that seriously when Google, with so much to gain by writing their own industry regulations (see Enron loophole), is no longer taking sides and throwing their considerable weight around in the Net Neutrality debate.

As for new comer and "member" TonioLarabi, I might take what you have to say seriously if your post didn't scream paid employee of an interested party seeking to sway public opinion by pretending to be a concerned citizen.

EFF GOOGLE AND THEIR PROPAGANDA STUDY!

Old 12-31-2010, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillynillyTalc View Post
There used to be a Buddhist discussion site that was notorious for censoring threads and comments that did not fit with their view of Buddhism. I had threads and posts deleted that questioned a moderator and his verbally abusive treatment of some of my statements. They are, fortunately, no more but censorship and fanatical views exist in the most unlikely of places.

I love freedom of speech, even if it means stupid people get to talk.
I love freedom of speech too, but some people forget those freedoms have limits... you can't run into a movie theater and yell "FIRE!!", you can't enter a government building and say you're going to bomb the place, and so forth. Some people think "freedom of speech" means you can say whatever you want wherever you want, and that is just not the case. Can you imagine the chaos if we allowed that kind of behavior in public?

As a former public librarian, I faced this situation more than once - where somebody would be misbehaving in the library, and then claim "it's a public place, so I can say & do whatever I want." No you can't! Did you not see those Guidelines for Library Use posted on the door? No? Then go read them now, and tell me how your behavior doesn't violate our policies... thanks.

Old 12-31-2010, 12:31 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I love freedom of speech too, but some people forget those freedoms have limits... you can't run into a movie theater and yell "FIRE!!", you can't enter a government building and say you're going to bomb the place, and so forth. Some people think "freedom of speech" means you can say whatever you want wherever you want, and that is just not the case. Can you imagine the chaos if we allowed that kind of behavior in public?

As a former public librarian, I faced this situation more than once - where somebody would be misbehaving in the library, and then claim "it's a public place, so I can say & do whatever I want." No you can't! Did you not see those Guidelines for Library Use posted on the door? No? Then go read them now, and tell me how your behavior doesn't violate our policies... thanks.
Yes indeed. Some people don't have a clue how our freedoms work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies