Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2010, 10:14 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,344,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sindey View Post

Lines at the food banks are longer than they have ever been. People that have never had to ask for help to feed their kids are now having to do so.

Here in AZ medicaid benefits have shrunk & some who need transplants are now sentenced to death if they can't afford to pay for it, so I would like to know just where in this country "they have it pretty darn good".
Is that the "change you can believe in" ????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2010, 10:18 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,135,091 times
Quote:

Lines at the food banks are longer than they have ever been. People that have never had to ask for help to feed their kids are now having to do so.

Here in AZ medicaid benefits have shrunk & some who need transplants are now sentenced to death if they can't afford to pay for it, so I would like to know just where in this country "they have it pretty darn good".
Perhaps I wasn't clear in making my point.

Have it pretty darn good in comparison to the elderly.

There are no school breakfast, lunch and dinner programs when you are 75 years old and can't afford to eat, and there are NO GOVERNMENT programs out there to keep you from starving.

That's what I was referring to.

20yrsinBranson

Old 12-18-2010, 10:18 AM

4,049 posts, read 2,741,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Is that the "change you can believe in" ????
Ya know I really don't care about the politics of it anymore. I believe both parties are equally at fault & will continue to try their best to serve their own agendas.
I do care about those who are suffering because of the greedy crooks we have in Washington on BOTH sides of the aisle.
Thats more important to me....

Old 12-18-2010, 10:20 AM

8,806 posts, read 6,110,985 times
Quote:
Of course you are correct but, should we not try our best to help children regardless of either their parents mistakes or misfortune?

Do we just say 'parents should be protecting the kids', or 'the parents should find work'. & all the other things we could say & forget about the children who through no fault of their own happen to be unlucky enough to be in a bad situation?
I just don't get it.
By creating a nanny state, the parents come to rely on everybody else giving to them to make sure their kids are taken care of. One thing leads to another and if we cut it off early, the parents will learn some responsibility. I have no problem donating toys, clothing and food to needy families at Christmastime or any other time, but I don't believe we should be subsidizing these people for extended periods of time. It is not our responsibility to parent the children...that is the parents' job and if they choose to not do it, they should not be allowed to keep their kids. There needs to be more qualifiers put on programs like this...if you refuse to work, you should not receive toys for your children at Christmas. Until you do things for yourself, or heck, until you at least TRY, I do not want to help you. Disclaimer: not everyone is taking advantage.

Old 12-18-2010, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Perhaps I wasn't clear in making my point.

Have it pretty darn good in comparison to the elderly.

There are no school breakfast, lunch and dinner programs when you are 75 years old and can't afford to eat, and there are NO GOVERNMENT programs out there to keep you from starving.

That's what I was referring to.

20yrsinBranson

When I lived in PA they had a program called 'meals on wheels' that delivered pre-packaged lunch & dinner to the elderly.
I think that is a great idea & wish we could implement that all over for those who need it.
I do not know how many states have that though.

Old 12-18-2010, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
By creating a nanny state, the parents come to rely on everybody else giving to them to make sure their kids are taken care of. One thing leads to another and if we cut it off early, the parents will learn some responsibility. I have no problem donating toys, clothing and food to needy families at Christmastime or any other time, but I don't believe we should be subsidizing these people for extended periods of time. It is not our responsibility to parent the children...that is the parents' job and if they choose to not do it, they should not be allowed to keep their kids. There needs to be more qualifiers put on programs like this...if you refuse to work, you should not receive toys for your children at Christmas. Until you do things for yourself, or heck, until you at least TRY, I do not want to help you. Disclaimer: not everyone is taking advantage.
Nobody believes it is our responsibility to parent the children of the downtrodden, at least I don't.

If they are not allowed to keep their kids then what do you suggest be done with them? Who will pay for it?

So if there aren't any jobs or the parent isn't qualified enough for the few jobs that are available you think we should withhold donating toys to their kids?

Andrea there are so many different reasons for parents that need help in these times, we could spend all day going through them & weeding out some who are just milking the system.
If I see a kid who is going to go without for ANY reason, I refuse to have that kid suffer because "I" feel one way or the other about their parent.

Old 12-18-2010, 10:56 AM

1,162 posts, read 2,107,720 times
Quote:
Of course you are correct but, should we not try our best to help children regardless of either their parents mistakes or misfortune?

Do we just say 'parents should be protecting the kids', or 'the parents should find work'. & all the other things we could say & forget about the children who through no fault of their own happen to be unlucky enough to be in a bad situation?
I just don't get it.
If you must know, I've writen over a thousand letters to family, friends and businesses asking for toys. I'm expecting 600 toys to be dropped off this weekend. I still expect people to stand up on their own two feet.

What are you you doing?

Old 12-18-2010, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amcjap View Post
If you must know, I've writen over a thousand letters to family, friends and businesses asking for toys. I'm expecting 600 toys to be dropped off this weekend. I still expect people to stand up on their own two feet.

What are you you doing?

Thanks for the help.
I volunteer at the local food bank which includes cooking & serving meals to the homeless, I help with clothes drives, I go to local businesses & collect donated books for monthly book sales that help collect money to buy food. Recently we have begun doing car washes to help us buy x-mas toys.
I also transport a variety of different donated objects to local swap meets to earn funds & have transported many items (like mattresses) on the top of my car to get them to those who have found housing.

Old 12-18-2010, 04:05 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,135,091 times
Quote:
When I lived in PA they had a program called 'meals on wheels' that delivered pre-packaged lunch & dinner to the elderly.
I think that is a great idea & wish we could implement that all over for those who need it.
I do not know how many states have that though.
Meals on Wheels is privately funded. It is not a government program. It relies on the generosity of volunteers and typically does not run on weekends.

it is better than nothing, but it is a far cry from free breakfast, lunch and dinner and *backpacks* full of food for the weekend.

20yrsinBranson

Old 12-18-2010, 04:13 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:

I just don't get it.
Well - I was thinking along those lines. I found a web site that is supposed to match givers up with takers. I thought maybe I could find a local family down on their luck and contribute something.

Over and over I read these sad sad postings, mostly single mothers. Numerous kids of course - often 5 or 6 kids, at least one recently born. Some complained of monthly electric bills over $200 that they need someone to pay. My electric bill last month was $45 - 4 kids still at home.

You have to wonder why these women choose to keep having children with men who won't help support them. But - never mind, who wants to judge at Christmas? Kids still need presents.

What really turned me off though was the mothers demands for gifts. Laptops, X-Boxes with Kinnects and a couple games. New clothes in a 6 child family for an infant - as though hand-me-downs are unimaginable.

So while I'm figuring out how I can afford a $500 game player with all the extras or a $600 lap top for some "poor" 12 year old, I start remembering my own kids know better than to ask for very expensive gifts.

And I start thinking that none of these poor single mothers has posted that they'd like a book or small toy for one of their many kids. It's always some very expensive item. And what really got to me was how many of them were requesting X-box players or lap tops or a car for some 17 or 20 year old kid. And if that kid wants all that, why isn't that kid out working????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies