Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2010, 06:56 PM

1,677 posts, read 1,668,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shroombeanie View Post
A heartwrenching video of just how bad our economy is
I can't wait to see the final tally.

From Nov. 1 to Dec. 13

Online consumers have spent nearly $22 billion since Nov. 1

That's just online folks.

The economy is so bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2010, 07:14 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,139,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
This point?

The local senior center serves free meals every day. And it receives a fair amount of government funding.

So does Meals on Wheels, by the way:

Meals on Wheels: Information from Answers.com
Quote:
Meals On Wheels is a federal food assistance program aimed at improving the diets and nutritional status of homebound older adults. It is funded under Title III-C of the Older Americans Act (OAA) of 1965. The program provides one hot meal at noon five days a week. Each meal must supply approximately one-third of the recommended nutrient intakes. The meal pattern includes three ounces of meat or a meat alternate, two one-half cup portions of fruits and vegetables, one serving of bread, one teaspoon of butter or margarine, eight ounces of milk or a calcium equivalent, and one serving of dessert.
Well, you're close.

There is no federally funded program called "MEALS ON WHEELS". Meals on Wheels programs are created by citizens like you and me who then APPLY FOR FUNDING through the Older Americans Act. There is no GUARANTEE that funding will be given, and even if it is it can vary dramatically in amount from just a few thousand dollars up. Supplemental funding is provided by other non-profit organizations. In other words there is no EAR MARK OR ALLOTMENT FOR THIS PROGRAM the way that there is for school programs.

That is the difference. If there isn't enough funds available. There is no food. I'd love to see this kind of program in schools. But unfortunately, I don't have any say in the matter.

20yrsinBranson

Old 12-18-2010, 09:01 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,112,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Yes, but who benefitted?

20yrsinBranson
The low income kids would take them home over the weekend. Apparently many of them don't eat except at school (free breakfast and lunch programs). I'd rather donate stuff through my church than have the taxpayers fund these things. We also did major food drives so we could give them extra food over winter break.

Old 12-18-2010, 09:06 PM

1,791 posts, read 1,793,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sindey View Post
Ya know I really don't care about the politics of it anymore. I believe both parties are equally at fault & will continue to try their best to serve their own agendas.
I do care about those who are suffering because of the greedy crooks we have in Washington on BOTH sides of the aisle.
Thats more important to me....
Quote:
Originally Posted by sindey View Post
Nobody believes it is our responsibility to parent the children of the downtrodden, at least I don't.

If they are not allowed to keep their kids then what do you suggest be done with them? Who will pay for it?

So if there aren't any jobs or the parent isn't qualified enough for the few jobs that are available you think we should withhold donating toys to their kids?

Andrea there are so many different reasons for parents that need help in these times, we could spend all day going through them & weeding out some who are just milking the system.
If I see a kid who is going to go without for ANY reason, I refuse to have that kid suffer because "I" feel one way or the other about their parent.
Your screen name could be sindeywithsense.

All the heartless nay-sayers I notice, especially after the wonderful day I had, are slowly declining in numbers. Quite a few people today showed much appreciation with very kind words for me and the other bell ringers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Parents writing to Santa Claus? People no longer believe in God but they sure do believe in the materialist side of Christmas.
I can't even fathom someone comparing god with children needing things of NECESSITY and then using the word materialist. There is a 'religious' section in this forum and this isn't it.

This 8 year old girl has more compassion and sense than way too many 'adults' have in the nail of their little finger...

During a time most kids can think of nothing more than video games and toys, Victoria’s thinking of Wichita’s homeless. Her letter goes on, “Please give them a pillow so they have something soft to lay their heads on.”

But she's not leaving it all up to Santa. She's already done some shopping of her own, and has wrapped a pillow, blanket, gloves and hat for someone she'll likely never know.

Would anyone care to label her as a materialist?

Little girl's letter asks Santa to help the homeless - KSN TV, Kansas News and Weather

And this story about a six year old and her letter...

"It touched everyone's heart," said letter carrier Michael Bond. "They read that letter out loud yesterday and everybody, from top management at Page Field all the way down, we just started rallying."

"They got a job out of town, out of state.
So they sold everything they could. What they didn't sell, they just gave away. And they got to New Jersey and the job was not available to them. So they were back within a few days of leaving," Turner said.

Child's letter to Santa 'touched everyone's heart' - U.S. news - Wonderful World - msnbc.com

Another about a few different children...

"The need is greater this year than I've ever seen it," he says. "One little girl didn't want anything for herself. She wanted a winter coat for her mother."

Melanney, 9, asked Santa for a coat and boots. "I have been a very good girl this year," she wrote.

Tough times are shrinking the number of Secret Santas, Fontana says. Meanwhile, "the percentage of people who need help has increased," says Mark Reynolds at the Postal Service's Chicago district, and about half the letters won't get answered.

Kids write Santa this year for basic needs instead of toys - USATODAY.com

The postal worker in the last link has been 'head elf' for 15 years and says he has NEVER seen it this bad before.

Old 12-18-2010, 09:14 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
Why the heck are the postal workers opening the letters??
They usually volunteer..
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Here ya go, some basic repub psychobabble, you've set the standard...

Find your own source of facts, start here =
Google
You get your facts from google search engine? oooh the humor.. lets have some fun with this shall we?

Google

Google

Google

Really.. do better because a google link showing links to stupidity doesnt = the truth

And if you dont understand the difference between allowing someone to keep their money, and "giving them money", then I find anything you say almost impossible to take seriously.. Especially considering your source is a "google link".. And if you dont understand the difference, GIVING people money gives them more than they started with.. Taking less from them is not the same as GIVING them money...

Old 12-19-2010, 09:24 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shroombeanie View Post
Your screen name could be sindeywithsense.

All the heartless nay-sayers I notice, especially after the wonderful day I had, are slowly declining in numbers. Quite a few people today showed much appreciation with very kind words for me and the other bell ringers.

I can't even fathom someone comparing god with children needing things of NECESSITY and then using the word materialist. There is a 'religious' section in this forum and this isn't it.

This 8 year old girl has more compassion and sense than way too many 'adults' have in the nail of their little finger...

During a time most kids can think of nothing more than video games and toys, Victoria’s thinking of Wichita’s homeless. Her letter goes on, “Please give them a pillow so they have something soft to lay their heads on.”

But she's not leaving it all up to Santa. She's already done some shopping of her own, and has wrapped a pillow, blanket, gloves and hat for someone she'll likely never know.

Would anyone care to label her as a materialist?

Little girl's letter asks Santa to help the homeless - KSN TV, Kansas News and Weather

And this story about a six year old and her letter...

"It touched everyone's heart," said letter carrier Michael Bond. "They read that letter out loud yesterday and everybody, from top management at Page Field all the way down, we just started rallying."

"They got a job out of town, out of state.
So they sold everything they could. What they didn't sell, they just gave away. And they got to New Jersey and the job was not available to them. So they were back within a few days of leaving," Turner said.

Child's letter to Santa 'touched everyone's heart' - U.S. news - Wonderful World - msnbc.com

Another about a few different children...

"The need is greater this year than I've ever seen it," he says. "One little girl didn't want anything for herself. She wanted a winter coat for her mother."

Melanney, 9, asked Santa for a coat and boots. "I have been a very good girl this year," she wrote.

Tough times are shrinking the number of Secret Santas, Fontana says. Meanwhile, "the percentage of people who need help has increased," says Mark Reynolds at the Postal Service's Chicago district, and about half the letters won't get answered.

Kids write Santa this year for basic needs instead of toys - USATODAY.com

The postal worker in the last link has been 'head elf' for 15 years and says he has NEVER seen it this bad before.
There might be some truly down and out stories, but I was talking about the website and the local stories.

The article stated that many of the writers to Santa were adults - adults who obviously still believe in Santa Claus but it's doubtful they celebrate a religious side of Christmas.

What is Christmas? Is it not a religious holiday? Jewish and Muslim kids don't even have a Santa Claus giving them stuff.

Kids qualify for food stamps -- what are their parents doing with the food stamps because it seem odd that kids would be asking Santa Claus for food.

Old 12-19-2010, 05:57 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,139,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
The low income kids would take them home over the weekend. Apparently many of them don't eat except at school (free breakfast and lunch programs). I'd rather donate stuff through my church than have the taxpayers fund these things. We also did major food drives so we could give them extra food over winter break.
From what it sounds like to me, you are illustrating perfectly the mindset that everything on the effing planet should be for the benefit of children and everybody else, especially the elderly can just die for all you care.

Very charitable of you.

20yrsinBranson

Old 12-19-2010, 06:02 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,730,484 times
Quote:
From what it sounds like to me, you are illustrating perfectly the mindset that everything on the effing planet should be for the benefit of children and everybody else, especially the elderly can just die for all you care.

Very charitable of you.

20yrsinBranson
She's right, you know.

In Alaska we'd put you old people out on the ice to die.

Old 12-19-2010, 11:38 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,112,361 times
Quote:

Very charitable of you.

20yrsinBranson

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies