Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2010, 10:01 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times

Advertisements

"political correctness" isn't really a problem. Nobody has to practice it and nobody has to go out and lable everything different than what they personally do/say as being "pc". Things change, and when something YOU like changes it becomes "pc" to you and you get to ***** about it. Pointless though. The next generations are going to think differently than you no matter how loud you cry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2010, 05:20 AM

20,321 posts, read 19,909,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
"political correctness" isn't really a problem. Nobody has to practice it and nobody has to go out and lable everything different than what they personally do/say as being "pc". .
It certainly is a problem when it's used by anyone in a position of authority in the private, public and academic sectors to force a group-think on others, discriminate or stifle unpopular speeches/speechmakers.

There have been no shortage of court cases over the last couple of decades showing where PC has been used as a means to intimidate and silence into submission.

Old 12-18-2010, 05:39 AM

6,193 posts, read 5,366,177 times
I see the origins of PC as when progressives insisted on being called Americans.

But that's just my opinion.

Old 12-18-2010, 08:03 AM

3,100 posts, read 3,300,646 times
It sounds like people are confusing political correctness with just respecting people that aren't the same as you.

Old 12-18-2010, 09:33 AM

30,058 posts, read 18,652,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneLondoner View Post
Does anyone have insight or memories into:
1) The very beginnings of Political Correctness(PC).
2) The time period of when it really kicked into high gear.

I always thought it began around the mid-1980s, then accelerated from 1990 to 1995. I mean, it's not exactly illegal to say "Merry Christmas" or Moslem (as opposed to Muslim), or Peking, or Bombay, but it seems that over the last two decades unwritten laws have developed to ensure that people(especially high-profile ones) never say or do the wrong things. Does anyone maybe feel that the PC era is starting to ease?

The concept of "political correctness" was an invention of Stalin and the Frankfurt School in an effort to reduce the ability of political enemies to formulate responses against marxism and the suppress free speech. It was a designed plan to limit the use of language for poltical reasons and is parodied to a certain extent in Orwell's "1984".

Most have no idea of the origins and purpose of political correctness and the fact that this "concept" is based with designed evil intentions to restrict free speech. The modern liberal, being an unwitting tool of marxism, has embraced PC and welcomed it, not as a tool of tyrants, but as a means to assuage a guilty social conscience.

Liberals rarely try to understand or read about the origins of thier "philosophy". However, many, if they actually knew who designed the basis of modern liberalism and why, would actually be reviled by the whole concept. Fortunately for them, most liberals do not read about the origins of thier beliefs and continue to embrace a malevolent, destructive belief system- that is what it was designed to do.

http://www.academia.org/the-origins-...l-correctness/

Old 12-18-2010, 09:46 AM

2,699 posts, read 2,410,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
It's politically incorrect to call black people the n-word, so I don't think all political correctness is a bad thing. I think that political correctness should be more about common sense and common courtesy. I will say that in some cases political correctness has gone too far.
It's politically incorrect to refer to blacks as "black", yet it's perfectly fine to refer to whites as "white".

One of My Biggest Pet Peeves: The minorities are called African Americans, Asian Americans, Hispanic/Latino Americans, and Native Americans, but European Americans are always called white. What the hell? That ignores their heritage. I'm personally offended when I see the term white alongside terms such as African American or Asian American. If they're African American and Asian American, then white people are European American.

The best thing to do would just ditch all these terms altogether and call ourselves Americans, but we all know that's not going to happen anytime soon.

Old 12-18-2010, 10:22 AM

58,973 posts, read 27,267,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
I disagree. The n-word is a vile term that was used to dehumanize a people. It was never meant to have any positive connotations.

Feel free to test your theory in Detroit proper.

Now, that is not to say that honest discussions of racial disparity do not quickly get shut down by inane PC posturing.
I agree but, why are spick, *****, redneck, cracker, mick etc. allowed?

Old 12-18-2010, 10:24 AM

58,973 posts, read 27,267,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
See, c...k is banned but, the others are not. Double standard exposed.

Old 12-18-2010, 12:57 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,657,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Hate to flog a dead horse, but walk up to a Puerto Rican and call him a spick and see what happens. Probably the same response as calling a black man the n word. Once again I state, you are legally allowed to call anyone anything you want but you must be willing to accept their reaction. There is no way anyone can get the rest of the world to accept their insensitive labels. Acceptance is up to the individual spoken to. I'll bet you a dollar to a donut that if you called a New York, Irish "Westie" a Mick he'd flatten your ass in a New York minute.

Old 12-18-2010, 01:29 PM

3,727 posts, read 6,220,958 times
Am going to suggest that PC had its start and grew alongside the womens movement, modern feminism, ie, the rise of the FemiNazis brought PC along with it. Although I avoid racial slurs, am very anti PC and regard it with contempt. For example, take a city mentioned in the OP. I still call Peking, Peking, and I dont care one bit whether or not the damn ChiComs like or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies