Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2010, 05:39 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,654,488 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellyouknow View Post
Why specifically Spanish? Another boring European language.I think learning an Asian language like Mandarin Chinese would be more advantageous for a child in the long run career/business wise, plus it's non Latin alphabet based so much more intellectually stimulating. At least give the kid a choice if you are going to mandate it.
Spanish is probably the second most widely spoken language in our country, though Mandarin is the most spoken language in the world, even surpassing English.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2010, 05:43 AM

I don't think "immersion" is necessary in learning a second language.

Funny thing, last week, I found myself dreaming in Spanish. That's strange, since I generally think in English, and translate it to Spanish fairly quickly...but I'm still thinking in English. But when I woke up, I found that I had someone clicked on the Spanish language channel (channel 6) on my TV while I was sleeping.

Old 12-18-2010, 09:34 AM

5,800 posts, read 6,567,236 times
It should be mandatory that all high school math & science teachers must have an advanced degree, and not just a BA or a teaching credential; it's a megacollosal disgrace that they do not.

Old 12-18-2010, 09:56 AM

3,857 posts, read 6,957,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv101 View Post
It should be mandatory that all high school math & science teachers must have an advanced degree, and not just a BA or a teaching credential; it's a megacollosal disgrace that they do not.
Then taxpayers must pay them more.

Old 12-18-2010, 10:08 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
I don't think our failures in math in science are because children were learning foreign languages instead. (If only...)

A combination of failure to support kids at home, a fast-food / easy answer culture, poor teaching and poor educational infrastructure are all failing our kids. NOT Spanish class.
I think so. The schools along the border where Spanish is very much required in the schools are lagging terribly behind.

Old 12-18-2010, 10:10 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv101 View Post
That would be politically correct. In order to teach math and science in Spanish, you have to emphasize Spanish first. They bring in teachers from Mexico and Central America now and have them teaching math and science in Spanglish.

And our kids are falling fast behind the children in first world countries.

Old 12-18-2010, 11:00 AM

But are kids learning how to do it longhand...or using shortcuts like calculators and computers to GIVE them the answer?

[referring to math]

Whether it's English OR Spanish, people need to learn how to spell and how to put together a sentence correctly.

Old 12-18-2010, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
We are falling woefully behind the rest of the world in the disciplines of math and the sciences. This spells disaster for the future of this nation's economy and our children. What is the solution to this problem? Apparently it is Spanish Immersion!

My brother in-law lives in the San Francisco area and many of the top schools out there are adopting a curriculum that includes: 50% of all classes be taught in Spanish.
My wife sits on the board of a charter school here in Boston and their curriculum mandates K-12 Spanish. They don't even give the kids the option of another language.

Is there any doubt that this is the product of liberal lunacy?
I have been through the San Fransisco Unified School District website and cannot find any mandatory 50% Spanish Immersion requirements. The SFUSD does offer optional immersion programs including immersion programs in Cantonese, Korean, Mandarin, and Spanish - and a non immersion program in Japanese. Damned liberals - ramming choices down our throats.

San Francisco' Unified School District

Old 12-18-2010, 11:40 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,280,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Siete View Post
I have been through the San Fransisco Unified School District website and cannot find any mandatory 50% Spanish Immersion requirements. The SFUSD does offer optional immersion programs including immersion programs in Cantonese, Korean, Mandarin, and Spanish - and a non immersion program in Japanese. Damned liberals - ramming choices down our throats.

San Francisco' Unified School District
It's actually Burlingame and I didn't say that that was the mandatory example.

Old 12-18-2010, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
It's actually Burlingame and I didn't say that that was the mandatory example.
If it's not mandatory then what's the issue and why is it "liberal lunacy"?

Quote:
My brother in-law lives in the San Francisco area and many of the top schools out there are adopting a curriculum that includes: 50% of all classes be taught in Spanish.
That worded like it's "mandatory".

http://www.bsd.k12.ca.us/
Quote:
Foreign Language
Italian, Spanish, and Mandarin classes are part of an after-school enrichment program offered by the Burlingame Recreation Center
BIS offers Italian, Spanish and Mandarin classes to 7th and 8th graders
A Spanish immersion class is offered at McKinley School
Damned liberals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies