Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2010, 10:52 AM

2,240 posts, read 1,386,167 times

Advertisements

I read this earlier this morning, and couldn't help myself from going back and reading it again. I can empathize with the poster's predicament, but ..........Well, you decide.

Daily Kos: the near constant embarrassment of unemployment: updated with thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2010, 11:07 AM

1,309 posts, read 1,362,447 times
Yes, I can empathize too.
I have worked since I was 16 years old and have been unemployed for only two months out of nearly 30yrs. I can say that I DO NOT frown apon a man who is unemployed but this is not the case for a man who stays unemployed. I mean the man (or woman) who sits at home for two years waiting for someone to drop a dream job at the front door; that is the lazy bum who deserves nothing.

Old 12-17-2010, 11:24 AM

2,765 posts, read 2,792,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCincorrect View Post
I have worked since I was 16 years old and have been unemployed for only two months out of nearly 30yrs. I can say that I DO NOT frown apon a man who is unemployed but this is not the case for a man who stays unemployed. I mean the man (or woman) who sits at home for two years waiting for someone to drop a dream job at the front door; that is the lazy bum who deserves nothing.
For thousands of years people were "employed" by no one. They obtained everything they needed from the earth by themselves and shared it with their family and tribe. The shame this thread associates with "unemployment" is an artificial construct designed to produce obedient workers.

Old 12-17-2010, 11:43 AM

1,309 posts, read 1,362,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shankapotomus View Post
For thousands of years people were "employed" by no one. They obtained everything they needed from the earth by themselves and shared it with their family and tribe. The shame this thread associates with "unemployment" is an artificial construct designed to produce obedient workers.
So then I suspect you till the ground and have no ties with the civilized world? Because in TODAY's world you need a money paying job to pay the bills for the water/heat/sewage/electricity/education/transportation/food/medical treatments, and the list goes on. If you do not have a JOB then you are relying on the generosity of others (family and tribe) to support you and the daily needs that you and your family need to survive in today's world. So, if you are unemployed then you are the weak link in today’s "family and tribe".

Old 12-17-2010, 12:20 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,018,108 times
The writer admits the compromised tax bill will "increase our nation's dismal long-term fiscal picture and will imperil Social Security for everyone." I agree with that, but
probably not for the same reason he does.

It is not only the unemployed that are in fear of loosing
their homes. There were many who have seen their
value cut in half or more, so they might simply have to walk away if they can't refinance or get a loan modification - no sense in paying for something that is so underwater,
your drowning.

After reading his "unemployment lifestyle": I am tempted to say "snap out of it", but if given a week with him, I
can assure you he would learn to live without, and quite
possibly start enjoying have to do with less

I work and don't go to bars, do shop at thrift stores (can get some really nice finds) I'm married, but as far as dating, here's a thought: date another unemployed person I don't know his commute time, but riding a bike is not only good for you, but it can be a social ice breaker especially if you get one of the single speed ones He can even join an IceBike Club in the winter: Winter Cycling

I have one of those awful heat pumps that don't really work when it gets below 40 degrees, so the auxiliary heat kicks in and is VERY EXPENSIVE. We too like the layered look Tip: get an infrared heater. And a must have for the frugal and single unemployed: a cast iron crock pot Hell, I probably live more like an unemployed person than he does, and I work

I don't think anyone should be embarrassed to be on unemployment. What I find embarrassing is that our
Congress thinks someone out of work is entitled to repeated unemployment compensation extensions.
At two years, don't even call it unemployment compensation anymore - it's welfare.

If one can not afford for themselves they should apply
for welfare. That is what Welfare was intended for when it
originated: a place for folks to get aid and assistance when there were no jobs to be had. There should be no
shame in that.

Old 12-17-2010, 12:26 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,442,508 times
Quote:
Thank you me too as you, Yes i will empathize with those that have come upon bad luck, it does make me sad. I will not have time for empathy for people who 3 years later, are saying i cannot find a job, and believe me they are out there. There are jobs, you might just not want to accept.
Until one comes along that is acceptable to you, some job is better then no job at all!

Old 12-17-2010, 12:29 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,018,108 times
Quote:
So then I suspect you till the ground and have no ties with the civilized world?
Growing vegetables in a garden and selling them at a
farmer's market could be a job If I had even 6 months
off, I could do some serious tilling

Old 12-17-2010, 02:00 PM

2,240 posts, read 1,386,167 times
[quote=pollyrobin;17040728]
After reading his "unemployment lifestyle": I am tempted to say "snap out of it", but if given a week with him, I
can assure you he would learn to live without, and quite
possibly start enjoying have to do with less

I agree. At some point people have to be responsible for themselves, and quit making excuses.

On this same site was an article explaining how to extend your benefits by asking for job training, then claiming not to have received the booklet, only speak to a person when you call, call different people, anything to delay being cut off. If you have all that time to try and game the system, why don't you have time to be out job-hunting?

Last edited by lizjo; 12-17-2010 at 03:00 PM..

Old 12-17-2010, 02:42 PM

1,496 posts, read 3,385,563 times
People who tie jobs to the self worth of other people are ignorant. I don't "judge" people by their employment status but I do understand each other person through the moral values we each demonstrate on a daily basis.

Old 12-17-2010, 03:23 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times
I got his with lack of job guilt when I became a stay at home mom but I got over it pretty quick. Others didn't always understand how I could be a "real person" and not have a job. LOL. Idiots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies