Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2010, 09:36 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,018,108 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
I can't think of a better place than a bank for their "holy" symbols....money is their measure of succes and the Wealthy are their true gods....a bank is perfect!
A bank is probably the last place you want to display anything related to Jesus

Jesus called the Temple "House of God" and called it a "House of Prayer". When Jesus arrived with the mass of pilgrims, Jesus turned over tables and called it a den of thieves. The Temple in those days was like a bank.

Maybe the Feds know more about Christianity than those
protesting removal of Christian symbols, and where they
really belong

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 12-17-2010 at 09:49 PM.. Reason: Edited quoted text
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2010, 09:41 PM

3,282 posts, read 5,201,780 times
Again, didn't Jesus get kind of miffed at the mixing of religion and commerce? Sees like some people aren't reading their Bibles thoroughly enough.

Old 12-17-2010, 09:46 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,811,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarfrost View Post
Again, didn't Jesus get kind of miffed at the mixing of religion and commerce? Sees like some people aren't reading their Bibles thoroughly enough.
Perhaps these would be good verses to display in banks:

Matthew 21:12
[ Jesus at the Temple ] Jesus entered the temple courts and drove out all who were buying and selling there. He overturned the tables of the money changers.

John 2:15
So he made a whip out of cords, and drove all from the temple courts, both sheep and cattle; he scattered the coins of the money changers and overturned their tables.

Mark 10:21-22 (New International Version, ©2010)
21 Jesus looked at him and loved him. “One thing you lack,” he said. “Go, sell everything you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.”
22 At this the man’s face fell. He went away sad, because he had great wealth.

Old 12-17-2010, 09:47 PM

3,709 posts, read 4,627,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
A bank is probably the last place you want to display anything related to Jesus

Jesus called the Temple "House of God" and called it a "House of Prayer". When Jesus arrived with the mass of pilgrims, Jesus turned over tables and called it a den of thieves. The Temple in those days was like a bank.

Maybe the Feds know more about Christianity than those
protesting removal of Christian symbols, and where they
really belong
I am sure that you would have protested Jesus carrying his cross on the Via Dolorosa, out in public and whatnot.

You have the problem inverted; bank symbols are out of place in the temple, not vice versa.

Try using true logic for a change, rather than twisted.

Last edited by irishvanguard; 12-17-2010 at 09:54 PM.. Reason: Inflammatory

Old 12-17-2010, 10:00 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,811,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishvanguard View Post
I am sure that you would have protested Jesus carrying his cross on the Via Dolorosa, out in public and whatnot.

You have the problem inverted; bank symbols are out of place in the temple, not vice versa.

This is a great Bible passage for a bank!

Luke19:16-26

16 “The first one came and said, ‘Sir, your mina has earned ten more.’

17 “‘Well done, my good servant!’ his master replied. ‘Because you have been trustworthy in a very small matter, take charge of ten cities.’

18 “The second came and said, ‘Sir, your mina has earned five more.’

19 “His master answered, ‘You take charge of five cities.’

20 “Then another servant came and said, ‘Sir, here is your mina; I have kept it laid away in a piece of cloth. 21 I was afraid of you, because you are a hard man. You take out what you did not put in and reap what you did not sow.’

22 “His master replied, ‘I will judge you by your own words, you wicked servant! You knew, did you, that I am a hard man, taking out what I did not put in, and reaping what I did not sow? 23 Why then didn’t you put my money on deposit, so that when I came back, I could have collected it with interest?’

24 “Then he said to those standing by, ‘Take his mina away from him and give it to the one who has ten minas.’

25 “‘Sir,’ they said, ‘he already has ten!’

26 “He replied, ‘I tell you that to everyone who has, more will be given, but as for the one who has nothing, even what they have will be taken away.

Old 12-17-2010, 10:03 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times
There is a bell ringer outside the grocery store near me. Just going in and out the other day made me crazy. I can't imagine what the poor employees must think. Noise like that can drive a person crazy after awhile.

Old 12-17-2010, 10:18 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,018,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishvanguard View Post

Nothing wrong or twisted with my logic. Maybe you
should reread my post

Religious symbols do not belong in a bank. Yes, in
those days the temple was behaving much like a bank,
thus Jesus attempt to have them change their ways:

Jesus protested: "How dare you turn my Father's house into a market." The court of Gentiles was full of cattle and sheep pens, cages of doves and the tables of the money changers. It should have been a place of prayer and meditation instead it was dominated by business. The priests justified the arrangement by pointing out that it was for the convenience of the numerous pilgrims who thronged Jerusalem. The stalls raised money for the temple. They were a necessity for keeping the temple in good running order.

"And Jesus entered the temple and drove out all those who were buying and selling in the temple, and overturned the tables of the money changers and the seats of those who were selling doves"

Old 12-17-2010, 10:23 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,257,364 times
Katiana,

Get over yourself.

With all the bitching about "horrible Christmas"...

It fit.

Perfectly.

I didn't ask you to like it or give your blessing.

Old 12-17-2010, 10:29 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,099,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
What is a "Federal bank"?
I thought this was a Federal Reserve Bank Branch. If that's the case, it's highly inappropriate to have crosses and bible verses displayed.

If it is in fact a privately owned bank and the government is trying to force the removal of religions materials, then that's a disgusting abuse by the government. If that's the case this private bank should contact the ACLU and sue the pants off the government.

Old 12-17-2010, 10:31 PM

1,474 posts, read 2,299,783 times
Knowing the people of Perkins, and yes I do know people there and it is a small rural farming, hick Oklahoma town with one bank and the worlds best chicken fried steak,
I am surprised that uppity out of towner didnt get his arse handed to him after it was kicked out the door.
Those cotton farmers in that area must not have been around that day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies