Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2010, 10:39 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,921,120 times

Advertisements

Btw, it's amazing how this debate comes up every single year... I think that's the new meaning of Christmas, to whine and complain about every little thing, while doing your BEST to exclude all the non-Christians in this country. What a sad state of affairs, when the formerly "happiest time of the year" consists mostly of bickering, over-spending, over-indulging, and forcing your beliefs on others. This isn't an issue of being politically correct, it's an issue of selfish people who want the whole world to bow down to them for 6 weeks of the year. Get over it already!

Oh yeah, and Happy Chrismukwanzukah to one and all!

Old 12-18-2010, 10:42 PM

P.S. My ex-roommate used to work at Trader Joe's, and at least 3 of her co-workers were Jewish, including one floor manager... but I guess they don't matter, huh? I swear, Christians seem to get more selfish every year, if that's even possible at this point.

Old 12-18-2010, 10:46 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,620,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Why don't you contact the Salvation Army headquarters or something and get the scoop. I told you already MY bell ringer says "merry christmas" so obvously there is a conflict between what you are saying and reality.

Some people WANT IT TO BE banned though as being injured and fighting this "battle" makes them feel like they are fighthing for Christ somehow. Please see how stupid it is...I can barely stand to watch it's so embarassing.

It's a persecution complex. The bible tells them they will be 'hated' so they are constantly looking for the 'hatred' so they can feel like martyrs. It's also one of the signs that 'Jesus' is coming back so they are doing it on purpose to supposedly hasten this return.

I've been in contact with a few Salvation Army ringers (I don't donate because of their views on gays, but that's another thing altogether) and I've been told Happy Holidays, Merry Christmas, Seasons Greetings and everything in between. They probably switch it up as their shift goes on...I know I would get sick of saying the same thing hours on end.

Old 12-19-2010, 12:25 AM

250 posts, read 379,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
You mean like celebrating the the birth of Christ or Christian New Year?
You certainly don't think the word "Holidays" only includes those two holidays do you? The word "Holidays" is inclusive of all holidays that happen this time of year, not just the Christian ones. Major holidays or not, there is more to this season that just the Christian holidays.

Quote:
...and if 95% of your customers celebrate Christmas, who are you catering to if you act as if it does not exist? I know Jews who celebrate Christmas, they have a tree, lights, and they play the music. I know people who never go to church, and they also put up a tree, trim the house with lights, play Christmas music, exchange presents, and still do not go to church.
Who says that replacing Christmas with Holidays is acting like it doesn't exist. This is the mentality that I'm talking about. No one is denying Christmas or forcing anyone to not celebrate, only trying to point out that yours is not the only holiday during the Holidays.

I celebrate something called Christmas every year. I do this because it's how I was brought up. I'm not Christian, wasn't raised very Christian and really didn't even know that Christmas was about religion for a very long time only that is was about family and gifts and fun. Now I'm a Buddhist and celebrate something that we call Christmas every year. It has absolutely nothing to do with any religion of any kind for me or a lot of the people I know. It's a time of year that I get to spend as much time with my family as possible, eat as much as we can stand, and just generally celebrate the company of friends and family and good times. But I don't need to call it anything, I just do because that is what I'm used to.

I seriously doubt that 95% celebrate the Christian version of Christmas. Not is my neck of the woods anyway. I also don't see how the removal of the word "Christmas" devalues your faith or your holiday in any way other than the ways you let it.

Quote:
You just described political correctness. Being politically correct denotes modifying spoken words, ideas, policies, and behavior to minimize social and institutional offense in occupational, gender, racial, cultural, religious, sexual orientation, disability, and age-related contexts.
A business replacing "Christmas" with "Holidays" isn't necessarily about political correctness or offending someone. I said nothing about offending anyone, I was talking about including everyone who wants to spend money in a business. Let a business run the way it wants to, let it market the way it feels is in it's best interest. You can tell yourself all you like that they do these things because they are caving to the "PC crowd" but the truth is they are caving to the Almighty Dollar.

Why should we single out one religious holiday to be the focus of a whole season of holidays?

Old 12-19-2010, 01:06 AM

1,461 posts, read 1,528,641 times
I thought Christmas was a religious holiday. If it is, I would think those who cherish it would find it offensive when it is used as a marketing tool and when the term is tossed around like any other common expression. Treat it as a treasure, not like trash.

Old 12-19-2010, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhandle View Post
I thought Christmas was a religious holiday. If it is, I would think those who cherish it would find it offensive when it is used as a marketing tool and when the term is tossed around like any other common expression. Treat it as a treasure, not like trash.
Exactly. Ask any Jew in the room, and I bet we'd all agree our religious symbols have no place in a commercial setting. I'd be SO offended if I walked into Safeway on Yom Kippur, to be inundated with "Chag Sameach" banners and a techno version of Kol Nidre playing over the loudspeakers. I'd be like WTF are they doing to our sacred day?? But for some reason these Christians (the militant ones) want MORE blatant commercialization of their supposedly "most sacred of days?" Makes no sense to me, but what do I know... I'm only 2-5% of our national population, so clearly my opinions don't matter.

News flash: We're not offended by use of the word Christmas - we're offended by the fact you all make it into a big deal, and can't see how selfish & petty these debates are. As Gandhi once said, "I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ." WWJD if he read this debate today? He'd probably be disgusted, and would tell these shops to spend their decoration money on feeding the poor.

Last edited by gizmo980; 12-19-2010 at 01:43 AM..

Old 12-19-2010, 01:43 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,778,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post
What is your definition of a "fundie"? Is it an insult?
Those worshiping men by elevating themselves to the status of playing God. Insulting to them? No, they're too ignorant to be ashamed of themselves. Fred Phelps is no Christian.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post
I fail to see how your response remotely relates to my assertion that a christian charity should say Merry Christmas. You went off in an entirely different direction.
What you fail to see is a willful thing. Open the Bible, and don't revise the teachings of Jesus to justify being a bully in his name. It's offensive to Christians, not just others outside the faith.

Did you have a problem with Father Pfleger? He earned that criticism and his censure 100%. Making stuff up because we feel like it is a big no no. No Christmas cookies for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I swear, Christians seem to get more selfish every year, if that's even possible at this point.
Yes, I've noticed. Care for a Christmas cookie? Snicker doodles, toll house choco chip, linzer tarts, or gingerbread? I've spiked the eggnog too. Helps tune out the resentful Martha's.

Old 12-19-2010, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
Yes, I've noticed. Care for a Christmas cookie? Snicker doodles, toll house choco chip, linzer tarts, or gingerbread? I've spiked the eggnog too. Helps tune out the resentful Martha's.
I would love a cookie, thanks!

For the record, and because I actually DON'T like to offend... my comment about selfish Christians is referring to this overall attitude, not the religion or people themselves. Many of my friends are Christians, and generally very kind & generous people - they too would be offended by these Christmas Nazis who become so vocal every year.

Old 12-19-2010, 01:55 AM

4,367 posts, read 3,482,927 times
Christmas is gay.

Old 12-19-2010, 02:28 AM

33,527 posts, read 37,128,036 times
Christmas did not originate in the Christian religion. It came from the ancient Romans. Every year in December they held a festival called “Saturnalia” in honor of their god Saturn. The festival ran for a week starting in December 17 up to December 23.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies