Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2010, 08:39 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,781,454 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by miyu View Post
I never notice anything like that. I wish people happy Jew holiday, Muslim holiday, or Xian holiday and they wish me happy Asian new year. If life were so simple. It's ridiculous to be exclusive or to be anti-exclusive.
Summed up nicely. We are all children of God whether we believe it or not, and are free to reject that concept. Christians are taught to see people as children of God with free will last I checked. Have they selectively revised or abridged the Bible in that respect?

Old 12-17-2010, 08:45 PM

4,105 posts, read 8,288,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
My husband will be sharing the following story:

Last night we were in Trader Joes and after an exhaustive search I noticed something conspicuously absent from the store. With classic rock glaring over the p.a. system (because nothing screams Christmas like Grand Funk Railroad), I sauntered over to the managers booth and two of the three looked at me waiting for my question, so I obliged, "Quick question", I stated more than queried, "Yes?", one of them replied, "Can I find the word Christmas anywhere in your store", and all three looked at me as if I had just flashed them (actually, from the looks on their faces, they may have preferred that), "Um, excuse me?" one of them managed to stammer, "I don't see the word Christmas anywhere in the store, is it on anything?" I asked, "Um...... probably not", one of the managers said, and I said, "Why not, that's absurd, it's Christmas, and I would have no idea walking into your store" and the guy said, "I totally agree with you", which was immediately followed up from manager #2, a Jeanine Garofolo type who snidely retorted "Well, we don't want to offend Jews" to which I responded, "Why do you assume Jews are offended by Christmas? Are you offended by Hanukkah? There's no such holiday called "holiday", it's a federal holiday called Christmas" and she looked at me as if i was the spawn of Satan (which I thought was a bit ironic, considering I doubt that she believed in any deity, good or evil) and I proceeded to walk away with the guy who agreed with me and asked him where the organic lollipops were, and he said to me again in very hushed tones (as if he were a traitor, and would be summarily executed if his superiors found out) that he totally agreed with me regarding the fact that TJ's goes out of their way to ignore Christmas.

Folks, there is a very concerted effort to eradicated the word Christmas from our public lexicon. Now keep in mind, I have no issue with the term, "Happy Holidays", as the holiday season encompasses Thanksgiving, Hanukkah, Christmas and New Years; my issue is with the more and more common habit of corporations replacing the word Christmas with the word "holiday"; holiday lights, holiday ornaments, holiday trees, for crying out loud, I saw a flier declaring "Holiday 2010", which one, there are over 30 public and federal holidays in the United States. They say that only 10% of people take a stand on a certain issue. For me, this issue is worth taking a stand for. Merry Christmas
Another example of right wing disdain for free speech. If you're a private company and want to plaster Christmas all over, then fine! If you don't want it anywhere? Fine. Vote with your dollar-- don't cause a scene by hassling some low level retail worker with your weird indignation.

Old 12-17-2010, 08:48 PM

565 posts, read 485,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post
The more I read about people demanding that it's Christmas and not Holiday, the more I want to set Christmas trees on fire. Give me an ornament. Give me a crucifix. I want all this crap to go up in flames.
I can't agree with that.
Destruction of symbols does not do anything.
Just ignore what you don't want to worship.

Old 12-17-2010, 08:49 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,781,454 times
Quote:
If you want to see CHRISTMAS, go to a church! It is not a requirement wherever you shop. In fact, why the hell do you shop at Christmas? What does shopping have to do with the birth of Jesus? Did Christianity ever apologize to the pagan religions for stealing the holiday for capitalistic purposes?

For those extremists who think that liberals and other assorted objects of conservative/religious derision are trying to destroy your religion, hey, guess what, you're doing such a fine job of it yourselves! The more I read about people demanding that it's Christmas and not Holiday, the more I want to set Christmas trees on fire. Give me an ornament. Give me a crucifix. I want all this crap to go up in flames.
This nutty mentality... a posse of righteous christians could travel door to door in poor neighborhoods who can't afford the extra electric bill decorating with lights wagging fingers at them for lousy unpatriotic christian. Hideous beyond all comprehension. How badly would they mistreat Jesus born in extremely humble circumstances? God didn't love you enough to make you wealthy or obliges human beings to make ostentatious displays as a show of loyalty? Sick sick sick.

Old 12-17-2010, 08:52 PM

4,410 posts, read 6,138,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by henrjam View Post
I can't agree with that.
Destruction of symbols does not do anything.
Just ignore what you don't want to worship.
So I can burn an American flag, too? Actually, my anger was an exaggeration. I'm sick of Christianity forcing itself on me everywhere I go with its followers oblivious to their intrusion. Religion belongs in one's home, in one's church, and in one's head. All other places are off limits.

Old 12-17-2010, 08:53 PM

565 posts, read 485,865 times
Quote:
So I can burn an American flag, too? Actually, my anger was an exaggeration. I'm sick of Christianity forcing itself on me everywhere I go with its followers oblivious of their intrusion. Religion belongs in your home, in your church, and in your head. All other places are off limits.
I understand what you mean.
There is too much noise going on all around us.

Old 12-17-2010, 09:13 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,018,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
I proceeded to walk away with the guy who agreed with me and asked him where the organic lollipops were, and he said to me again in very hushed tones (as if he were a traitor, and would be summarily executed if his superiors found out) that he totally agreed with me regarding the fact that TJ's goes out of their way to ignore Christmas.

They say that only 10% of people take a stand on a certain issue. For me, this issue is worth taking a stand for. Merry Christmas
I thought Christmas had something to do with going to a mass in a church and honoring the King of kings, but thanks for clearing up any confusion I had about the real meaning of Christ's birth for Christians; buying organic lollipops at Trader Joe's and not hearing "O Come all ye faithful"

Merry Christmas to you too

Old 12-17-2010, 09:14 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,264,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I worked on Christmas Day once. Got double time .
I worked two Christmases in succession and got paid noting extra. I was in the US Army at the time and we just didn't get days off if it was our turn to work.

Old 12-17-2010, 09:20 PM

3,282 posts, read 5,201,780 times
Is it really so important to you that your religious iconography be juxtaposed with capitalist messages?

I take it that Jesus was kind of against the mixing of church and commerce.

Old 12-17-2010, 09:28 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,110,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txgolfer130 View Post
BULL**** **cough, cough**

I think the gripe is another manufactured "argument" just to start crap, but let's be her huckelberry and go down the December "holiday" road once again here in C-D.

Saint Nicholas Day (Christian) -- December 6

Fiesta of Our Lady of Guadalupe (Mexican) -- December 12 (Yes, a day of holy obligation for Catholics)

St. Lucia Day (Swedish) -- December 13

Hanukkah (Jewish) -- Begins at sundown on December 1 (ends December 9)

Christmas Day(Christian) -- December 25

Boxing Day (Australian, Canadian, English, Irish) -- December 26

Kwanzaa (African American) -- December 26 to January 1

Omisoka (Japanese) -- December 31

Epiphany (Christian) -- January 6

So as you can see if TJ's is really trying to be inclusive as a CORPORATION, then they are truly wishing EVERYONE a Happy Holidays.
And if there were ever an assault on the Original concept of Christmas I'm sure the early Christian church is wondering what the hell happened to their calendar and co-joining dates of Dies Natalis Solis Invicti.

But let's not get caught up in details and semantics, it's just so much better to make crap up and go with it!

Happy Winter Solstice....sheesh.
Most of these are not religious holidays.

I know Epiphany is not a holiday, it's a holy day. That's like saying Palm Sunday, Maundy Thursday, Good Friday, Holy Saturday, etc. are holidays. St. Nicholas Day also is not a holiday.

Omisoka is not an American holiday, neither is St. Lucia Day, Boxing Day or the Guadalupe one (Catholic or not, this is not celebrated in the US, just like Dia de Los Muertos is not celebrated here).

We've already discussed how Kwanzaa is a lame holiday that isn't celebrated by anyone, it was created by a bigot to give black people something "special" (read: to separate them from white Christian Americans who celebrate Christmas). It is not a religious holiday.

Solstice is a pagan holiday but no pagan I know gets their panties in a wad when someone says "Merry Christmas."

Hanukkah is obviously celebrated by Jews (same God as Christianity, mind you), but I also know of no Jew who takes offense when someone says "Merry Christmas." If someone wished me Happy Hanukkah, I would not be offended. Many families celebrate both when one parent is Jewish and one is Christian. Neither side is offended by the other.

The reason for the season is Christ, like it or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies