Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 08:34 PM

23,410 posts, read 36,867,518 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraRose64 View Post
I haven't heard that old joke in a long time and it's still funny .. I don't know why anybody would cause a problem over that old thing..

Everybody have a good evening.. I'm going outside to freeze until I light the Yule fire.. and then I'm going to watch the moon eclipse ..

Happy Yule..
I'm getting ready to do the same thing.....have a Yule thats cool!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxTSxQcCWLI

Old 12-21-2010, 10:34 AM

10,854 posts, read 9,274,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
Political correctness kills culture. In a liberal's perfect world, everybody would be rendered into nothingness and there would be no celebrations of any kind so that nobody would be offended by anything.
That's a TOTALLY ridiculous staement lacking in any credibility.

It's based more on your off based perceptions and lack of understanding than any shred of reality.

Old 12-21-2010, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post
You are missing my point Ceece. The Salvation Army is a Christian charity. Last year they were wishing me a Merry Christmas. This year they are ringing the bell while saying Happy Holidays. They are doing that so as not to offend people of other faiths and to be politically correct. That is just wrong in my opinion. When the Salvation Army abandons their Chrisitian principles to raise money I find that sad and morally corrupt on the part of the people in the organization who decided to change Merry Christmas to Happy Holidays.
I don't see how saying "Happy Holidays" diminishes anyone's "Christian Principles". It's just a recognition of the fact that other people and cultures also have holidays during the same period and it shows an acceptance of ALL HOLIDAYS regardless of culture.

Old 12-21-2010, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMcQ LV View Post
So because the federal government doesn't give days off work for Channuka or Saturnalia, we shouldn't acknowledge that our Jewish and Pagan friends and neighbors are celebrating those holidays? If nothing else, I'd call that quite rude.
Consider the source!

What do you expect?

Old 12-21-2010, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
P.S. My ex-roommate used to work at Trader Joe's, and at least 3 of her co-workers were Jewish, including one floor manager... but I guess they don't matter, huh? I swear, Christians seem to get more selfish every year, if that's even possible at this point.
It's is possible just watch them.

Old 12-21-2010, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
The period between October 29th and December 23rd should be renamed as the "Retail -Separate you from your cash as quickly and as often as possible- Marketing Season". Because the true meaning of the Christian holiday Christmas has been lost in the shuffle and almost everyone ignores it, attempts to redefine it and means very little in 2010.

And be done with it.
Cosigned and repped!

Don't get me wrong I like giving gifts to my family members. But geeze the commercials especially for jewelry aimed at men that attempt to make you feel guilty if you don't pony up for a expensive trinket for the woman in your life I find especially crude and manipulative.

Old 12-21-2010, 10:59 AM

5,110 posts, read 7,115,710 times
Quote:
A politically correct Christmas at Trader Joes
yawn.

Old 12-21-2010, 11:27 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,556,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
Cosigned and repped!

Don't get me wrong I like giving gifts to my family members. But geeze the commercials especially for jewelry aimed at men that attempt to make you feel guilty if you don't pony up for a expensive trinket for the woman in your life I find especially crude and manipulative.
Those are the worst!!! The faux romance of giving expensive jewelry pisses me off.

There's actually a billboard I drive by every day that says 'The marriage might not last, but the diamond will' with a huge picture of a ring on it... right in time for the Holidays!

Old 12-21-2010, 11:40 AM

23,410 posts, read 36,867,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Those are the worst!!! The faux romance of giving expensive jewelry pisses me off.

There's actually a billboard I drive by every day that says 'The marriage might not last, but the diamond will' with a huge picture of a ring on it... right in time for the Holidays!
I hope the ad person that was in charge of that campaign was able to find another job, because advertising sure isnt their metier.

Old 12-21-2010, 11:53 AM

1,598 posts, read 1,930,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
But of course you're not bigoted about the left, eh?

The sillyness regarding stuff like this from the right and left is just exhausting and annoying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies