Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2010, 09:29 PM

3,282 posts, read 5,202,213 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
Most of these are not religious holidays.

I know Epiphany is not a holiday, it's a holy day. That's like saying Palm Sunday, Maundy Thursday, Good Friday, Holy Saturday, etc. are holidays. St. Nicholas Day also is not a holiday.

Omisoka is not an American holiday, neither is St. Lucia Day, Boxing Day or the Guadalupe one (Catholic or not, this is not celebrated in the US, just like Dia de Los Muertos is not celebrated here).

We've already discussed how Kwanzaa is a lame holiday that isn't celebrated by anyone, it was created by a bigot to give black people something "special" (read: to separate them from white Christian Americans who celebrate Christmas). It is not a religious holiday.

Solstice is a pagan holiday but no pagan I know gets their panties in a wad when someone says "Merry Christmas."

Hanukkah is obviously celebrated by Jews (same God as Christianity, mind you), but I also know of no Jew who takes offense when someone says "Merry Christmas." If someone wished me Happy Hanukkah, I would not be offended. Many families celebrate both when one parent is Jewish and one is Christian. Neither side is offended by the other.

The reason for the season is Christ, like it or not.
$orry, but the rea$on for the $ea$on is a totally different god.

Old 12-17-2010, 09:32 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,110,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellalunatic View Post
hahahaha! That's funny.
That would explain the chocolate Christmas Advent calendars that I get my kids every YEAR. says so on the box.

And the poinsettias, Christmas Wreaths, Rosemary Christmas trees.... yep. they sure do ignore Christmas.

Now that the Christmas stuff has been dealt with is this when your the ranting against the Germans start?
Poinsettias are not specific to Christmas.

Wreaths and trees also belong to the pagans.

The only thing in your argument that is valid is the advent calendars. But that is not at all the same as decorating your store for Christmas and playing Christmas songs over the PA system.

Old 12-17-2010, 09:34 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,110,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post

Forcing banks, grocery stores, employers, et al to support your religion that you make mockery of in your conduct defeats the point of religion. American taliban stink just as badly as Islamic taliban.
Nobody is asking any business to be forced to do anything. The OP was making a commentary on how Christmas-related decor was lacking in the Trader Joe's.

Old 12-17-2010, 09:35 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,304,138 times
Quote:
The reason for the season is
axial tilt

The Four Seasons - PrimaryGames.com - Free Games for Kids

Old 12-17-2010, 09:38 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,753,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bily Lovec View Post
Like it or not,
USA is a Christian Country.

It's a capitalist country that will not let Christianity get in the way of making money.

Don't get me wrong, a little Christianity is fine with the capitalists, it's useful afterall for calming and distracting the masses. But as soon as it gets in way of making dough; forget about it.

Old 12-17-2010, 09:51 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,018,970 times
Quote:
Nobody is asking any business to be forced to do anything. The OP was making a commentary on how Christmas-related decor was lacking in the Trader Joe's.
No, the OP told a story about how she confronted a store
as to why they had no Christmas decor. That sure sounds
to me like someone trying to force a business to do something, or at least explain why no Christmas decor.

Frankly if I was manager of the store, I would have directed
her to the door, giving her directions to a Lifeway Christian Store. Maybe she could buy those organic lollipops there
and possibly pick up a book on manners.

Old 12-17-2010, 09:51 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post
So I can burn an American flag, too? Actually, my anger was an exaggeration. I'm sick of Christianity forcing itself on me everywhere I go with its followers oblivious to their intrusion. Religion belongs in one's home, in one's church, and in one's head. All other places are off limits.
And what about Santa Claus and a Christmas tree..both non-denominational and secular ?

Old 12-17-2010, 09:53 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
Quote:
But that is not at all the same as decorating your store for Christmas and playing Christmas songs over the PA system.
But do you think businesses should do that to keep Christians happy even if they don't really want to? Please explain why. I think businesses should do what they like holiday-wise and everyone, even Christians, should accept it without complaint or fake outrage while graciously receiving whatever decor and pleasantries are offered.

Old 12-17-2010, 09:55 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
You think everyone should do that to keep christians happy even if they don't really want to? Please explain why.
You mean ONLY Christians celebrate Christmas ?

Heck of a lot of Christians in the US then with all the sales, lines to see Santa, parties at work, school and clubs.

Old 12-17-2010, 10:04 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
You mean ONLY Christians celebrate Christmas ?

Heck of a lot of Christians in the US then with all the sales, lines to see Santa, parties at work, school and clubs.
They are the only ones bellyachin'

Does the market down the street (or business of your choice) have to pipe in christmas music over the PA system and have "merry christmas" signs and symbols out to keep christians happy during the month of December? That is my question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies