Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2010, 11:25 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,475,124 times

Advertisements

]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
My husband will be sharing the following story:

Last night we were in Trader Joes and after an exhaustive search I noticed something conspicuously absent from the store. With classic rock glaring over the p.a. system (because nothing screams Christmas like Grand Funk Railroad), I sauntered over to the managers booth and two of the three looked at me waiting for my question, so I obliged, "Quick question", I stated more than queried, "Yes?", one of them replied, "Can I find the word Christmas anywhere in your store", and all three looked at me as if I had just flashed them (actually, from the looks on their faces, they may have preferred that), "Um, excuse me?" one of them managed to stammer, "I don't see the word Christmas anywhere in the store, is it on anything?" I asked, "Um...... probably not", one of the managers said, and I said, "Why not, that's absurd, it's Christmas, and I would have no idea walking into your store" and the guy said, "I totally agree with you", which was immediately followed up from manager #2, a Jeanine Garofolo type who snidely retorted "Well, we don't want to offend Jews" to which I responded, "Why do you assume Jews are offended by Christmas? Are you offended by Hanukkah? There's no such holiday called "holiday", it's a federal holiday called Christmas" and she looked at me as if i was the spawn of Satan (which I thought was a bit ironic, considering I doubt that she believed in any deity, good or evil) and I proceeded to walk away with the guy who agreed with me and asked him where the organic lollipops were, and he said to me again in very hushed tones (as if he were a traitor, and would be summarily executed if his superiors found out) that he totally agreed with me regarding the fact that TJ's goes out of their way to ignore Christmas.

Folks, there is a very concerted effort to eradicated the word Christmas from our public lexicon. Now keep in mind, I have no issue with the term, "Happy Holidays", as the holiday season encompasses Thanksgiving, Hanukkah, Christmas and New Years; my issue is with the more and more common habit of corporations replacing the word Christmas with the word "holiday"; holiday lights, holiday ornaments, holiday trees, for crying out loud, I saw a flier declaring "Holiday 2010", which one, there are over 30 public and federal holidays in the United States. They say that only 10% of people take a stand on a certain issue. For me, this issue is worth taking a stand for. Merry Christmas
You're making a lot of assumptions about the employees there, aren't you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
OhGAWD! Here we go again.......

A. M a n y (am I typing slowly enough for you?) m a n y people work on Christmas and always have.

B. Many don't want to but their employer makes them anyway.....serving those Christmas celebrating christians in many ways...

C. Your attitude does show the TRUE christian spirit of Christmas..
Agreed. As a registered nurse employed in a hospital, I had to work Christmas frequently, also Christmas Eve. As a visiting nurse I had to work Christmas a few times as well. Even when I worked for a health dept, I had to work Christmas Eve as the HD was open for business that day. In fact one of the HDs I worked for came up with a policy that if the HD offered a service on a given day (say an immunization clinic on a Thursday), and Christmas Eve fell on that day, the service was to be held. This meant we got paid to do basically nothing sometimes on Christmas Eve. I mean, who really wants to bring their kid in for shots on Christmas Eve Day? Most of my Christmas working was not my choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
And what about Santa Claus and a Christmas tree..both non-denominational and secular ?
Well, some Christians don't like Santa at all; I don't know about Christmas trees. I know of a number of Jews who have Christmas trees, sometimes called the "Hanakah Bush".

As for "Happy Holidays", "Season's Greetings", etc, these terms have been around a long time, at least since my childhood in the 50s.

Old 12-17-2010, 11:26 PM

5,999 posts, read 7,076,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
No, the OP told a story about how she confronted a store
as to why they had no Christmas decor. That sure sounds
to me like someone trying to force a business to do something, or at least explain why no Christmas decor.

Frankly if I was manager of the store, I would have directed
her to the door, giving her directions to a Lifeway Christian Store. Maybe she could buy those organic lollipops there
and possibly pick up a book on manners.
lol, at your righteous indignation. lo, at "forcing a business..." He merely asked why there was no mention or acknowledgment of Christmas anywhere in the store. One of the employees was in agreement with him and very conciliatory, whilst the other was much like you; indignant that anyone differ from her intellectualism. Target, Walmart, Kohls (Jewish owned and operated, btw) etc, all have signage, and displays declaring Merry Christmas and we will make sure to do what so many here have argued; giving them our hard earned money. There is no such holiday called "holiday."

Old 12-17-2010, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
But do you think businesses should do that to keep Christians happy even if they don't really want to? Please explain why. I think businesses should do what they like holiday-wise and everyone, even Christians, should accept it without complaint or fake outrage while graciously receiving whatever decor and pleasantries are offered.
Between 68-87% of Americans profess to be Christians, depending on the polls. 95% of Americans celebrate Christmas. Your post has fail all over it.

Old 12-17-2010, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
They are the only ones bellyachin'

Does the market down the street (or business of your choice) have to pipe in christmas music over the PA system and have "merry christmas" signs and symbols out to keep christians happy during the month of December? That is my question.
You mean, keep up the Christmas tradition that has been prevalent in America for well over 100 years? Why are you so intolerant of the words Merry Christmas and Christmas music?

Old 12-17-2010, 11:31 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,475,124 times
Quote:
lol, at your righteous indignation. lo, at "forcing a business..." He merely asked why there was no mention or acknowledgment of Christmas anywhere in the store. One of the employees was in agreement with him and very conciliatory, whilst the other was much like you; indignant that anyone differ from her intellectualism. Target, Walmart, Kohls (Jewish owned and operated, btw) etc, all have signage, and displays declaring Merry Christmas and we will make sure to do what so many here have argued; giving them our hard earned money. There is no such holiday called "holiday."
The expression is "Happy Holidays", plural. It can mean Christmas and New Years, or Hanukah (a series of 8 days), or a host of other days. I can't imagine why anyone would even say "Happy Holidays" to someone Jewish after Hanukah.

I would suggest you look for your organic lollipops somewhere else that meets with your husband's approval.

Old 12-17-2010, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post
I'm a devout Christian. I don't celebrate Christmas, nor do I care whether someone says "Happy Holidays" or "Merry Christmas." As a Christ follower, there are far more important things to be outraged about. How about:

1) The fact that EVERY DAY, hundreds of people around the world die without knowing Jesus Christ. Regardless of your beliefs on hell, this means that these people will be forever separated from God's love. That is a true tragedy.

2) Christians in the Middle East, India and Pakistan are being executed for their faith. A woman in Pakistan was sentenced to death for professing Christianity. In India, churches are being burned, Christians are being murdered and believers are being forcibly "converted" to their old religions.

3) The Karen people of Burma, many of whom are Christian, are being slaughtered by the military junta in that country.

4) Thousands of people in Africa and South Asia are STARVING TO DEATH because of extreme poverty. Dictators starve their own people while riding around in limousines.

This is just a small sampling of the persecutions and atrocities happening to Christians and nonbelievers around the world. All of these tragedies go on, and yet people are so worked up over freakin' Trader Joe's saying "Happy Holidays." Are you serious?!?! Do you think Jesus would approve of this?
Are you willing to be hated for your faith? The Bible says that you will be.

Old 12-17-2010, 11:32 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,382,486 times
Quote:
Between 68-87% of Americans profess to be Christians, depending on the polls. 95% of Americans celebrate Christmas. Your post has fail all over it.
Not everyone who professes to be Christian is actually following Jesus Christ. Not all Christians (professing or true) celebrate Christmas.

I'm asking an honest question here, as a fellow Christian: Do you really think God cares about empty professions of faith? Do you think Christ is concerned with whether a store has Christmas decorations or not?

Old 12-17-2010, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlerain View Post
In this country poinsettias, wreaths and trees are associated with Christmas.

Thankfully there are places that do not put Christmas decorations up in October...thankfully there are places that do not play cheesy Christmas songs incessantly over the PA system.

I have no problem with Christmas, celebrate it myself, but don't kid yourself...stores are not decorated because of any religious beliefs, they are decorated to make you spend more money.
Then why are more and more stores like TJ's completely ignoring Christmas entirely; agenda over profits?

Old 12-17-2010, 11:34 PM

3,451 posts, read 7,043,916 times
Quote:
You mean, keep up the Christmas tradition that has been prevalent in America for well over 100 years? Why are you so intolerant of the words Merry Christmas and Christmas music?
I am old enough to remember when decorations and Christmas music were unheard of until the day after Thanksgiving...so the tradition is not well over 100 years old.

Personally I get sick of the decorations going up, and the music being played from October onward. The only reason for this is to make you spend more money...as I said in my previous post it is not because of any religious beliefs.

Old 12-17-2010, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
The expression is "Happy Holidays", plural. It can mean Christmas and New Years, or Hanukah (a series of 8 days), or a host of other days. I can't imagine why anyone would even say "Happy Holidays" to someone Jewish after Hanukah.

I would suggest you look for your organic lollipops somewhere else that meets with your husband's approval.
You did not read the op; there is no issue whatsoever with the words "Happy Holidays", you're arguing with yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.