Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2010, 06:53 PM

3,791 posts, read 8,884,028 times

Advertisements

I notice on other message boards and story comments that people seem to think that the rich don't pay enough in taxes. Don't the rich pay 50% now or something around that? Would it make people happy if they paid 99%? I'm not rich, but I would be extremely unhappy if I made $1M per year and have to give up half of it to the government. Where does it end? Are people not entitled to make money? Is just class envy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2010, 09:58 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,092,783 times
Definitely. It's insane.

Old 12-17-2010, 10:26 PM

59 posts, read 149,704 times
Fifth amendment, "No person shall...be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law"

The government stealing what you make (federal income tax) is a deprivation of property. I understand the 16th amendment allows for an income tax, but if you wouldn't let your neighbor reach into your paycheck and take 50% why would you allow the federal government?

Old 12-18-2010, 02:39 AM

1,140 posts, read 2,070,249 times
The rich have become an easy target for a government that just loves to encourage class warfare & favors a welfare mentality. The percentage that the wealthy pay is ridiculously & unfairly high and they'll soon be hit with outrageous death taxes.

A flat tax would go a long way toward repairing the inequality in the tax system.

Old 12-18-2010, 03:25 AM

37,769 posts, read 40,907,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
I notice on other message boards and story comments that people seem to think that the rich don't pay enough in taxes. Don't the rich pay 50% now or something around that? Would it make people happy if they paid 99%? I'm not rich, but I would be extremely unhappy if I made $1M per year and have to give up half of it to the government. Where does it end? Are people not entitled to make money? Is just class envy?
Everytime a business owner has to layoff their employees or not give other ones a raise, or not hire some recent graduate that comes seeking employment, they should tell them exactly why and not just give the generic reason that "It's the economy." They should flat out tell them which laws and regulations were responsible for raising the costs of them doing business and who is responsible for raising the business owners taxes, increasing the regulations that cost them money, etc., and tell them they lost their jobs or they couldn't be hired or they are not getting a raise because of those specific people initiating, voting for or signing laws or regulations and if they want to do something about it they should vote those specific people out of office. It's about time business owners educated their employees the same way the unions do.

Old 12-18-2010, 08:38 AM

58,749 posts, read 27,092,933 times
Quote:
If you rob Peter to pay Paul and David, Paul and david will vote for you everytime.

Old 12-18-2010, 08:54 AM

968 posts, read 2,059,152 times
Quote:
I agree. The rich pay too much taxes. The people who use the government services should be the one's paying. Since the poor and the middle class are the one's most likely to get unemployed, they should subsidize that. Since the rich will not need medicare, social security, or disability, they shouldnt have to pay. They can hire their own security and have their own sprinkler system, so they dont need police or fireman. They also send their kids to private school so dont need to pay for teachers. A perfect system!

Old 12-18-2010, 09:13 AM

6,193 posts, read 5,359,165 times
The complaining public only worry about what others.

One person considered 'poor' earns $100 and he keeps it all.

One person considered 'rich' earns $100 and keeps $60.

They'll never see it. It goes right over their head.

This will never change.

Old 12-18-2010, 09:17 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,570,473 times
I'm not rich but because I work and provide for my family, pay my mortgage and make my kids get jobs between ages 15-18, I might be considered rich - I have what I need which I get myself and some extra.

I decided I am rich enough to give extra, help some local poor family out and looked for one on some giving website that matches the givers and the askers.

What I found was requests from many single mothers who have these sad sad stories. Electric bills of $200 plus - while mine last month was $45 (can't you all teach your kids to turn off the lights!!!) and requests for gifts for their 5 or 6 children (where are the dads???). But fine, it would be nice for kids to have a Christmas but the mothers very carefully spell out what their kids "need" for Christmas. One 17 year old wants a lap top, another wants an Xbox with kinnect and only a couple $60 games to go with - the 12 year old wants a lap top, the toddlers need some nice toys and clothes and the newborn needs clothes.

Well my own kids have limits set on gifts they request. I don't buy my own 12 year olds lap tops.

The poor get me mad because they have no clue what poverty really is when all they can think about is getting their kids the latest $500 game players and $600 lap tops.

Old 12-18-2010, 12:23 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,409,927 times
Quote:
Thank you very good post. And well stated. If you listen to half the people on this forum, no they do not think that people should be entitled to make money! they fault you on this stupid forum, for whatever it is that you own. I have large homes, and have been faulted for this exact reason. They think it is nothing but a status symbol, they are wrong. So many Neighboorhoods in Calif, have homes that start at 3,000 and go up, it is just a norm. People are ignorant to the facts, and i am sorry, those who bitc- the loudest, and put others down for what they have, are the problem not the solution.

You all have choices, good ones and bad, and at the height of the real estate market out here, we did very well, it is being wise with the choices that one makes, wise investments do pay off, bad ones don't.
Yes people we do pay taxes, we are not millionaires, or Hollyweird Celebrities, just people that followed a dream.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies