Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2010, 11:07 AM

11,449 posts, read 14,465,311 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
Thankfully, the Tea Party effect is taking hold and having a positive effect on reigning in congressional pork. GREAT news for our country!
You have to be kidding.

Although am I really surprised that a tea party supporter would be oblivious to the fact that the GOP have already gone against their fiscal wishes before even being sworn in? Too funny.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2010, 11:09 AM

6,476 posts, read 7,322,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
They've actually passed a gargantuan amount of legislation through during the last two years. Just because you are unaware of it, does not make it so. What we are seeing now is a final push to get what they wanted through.

Not a tough concept.

Interesting theory. It appears you'd prefer an apathetic Congress that does nothing?
'Nothing' is immeasureably better than what the 111th Congress -the worst in modern American history -has done to our grandkids. As things stand right now there is no aspect of my personal businesss that some dolt in D.C. doesn't think s/he has an obligation (much less a right) to control.

Three cheers for gridlock.

Old 12-18-2010, 11:09 AM

3,083 posts, read 4,010,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
Tax cuts for everyone, ending DADT and the START treaty are BS?
Tax cuts for everyone? How do you figure that? Democrats were dragged kicking and screaming into passing no tax increases for anyone.

As far as START goes I can only speak for myself but would feel confident stating a substantial number of citizens would prefer that a group of recently fired elected officials not have a say in anything relating to our nation's defenses.

Old 12-18-2010, 11:12 AM

6,476 posts, read 7,322,951 times
Quote:
Tax cuts for everyone, ending DADT and the START treaty are BS?

It's funny that you mention the "pork filled" omnibus bill because Republicans had just as much pork as the Democrats did. Plus Republicans still can't even get a full ban on earmarks.
For 'everyone'? You mean everyone except the hated affluent. Class warfare is no more morally justifiable than racism.

Old 12-18-2010, 11:14 AM

13,900 posts, read 9,769,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outbacknv View Post
Tax cuts for everyone? How do you figure that? Democrats were dragged kicking and screaming into passing no tax increases for anyone.

As far as START goes I can only speak for myself but would feel confident stating a substantial number of citizens would prefer that a group of recently fired elected officials not have a say in anything relating to our nation's defenses.
The people still in office right now were elected to a full two year term, not a 1 year and 11 month term.

Why should the current politicians ratify START? The military and national security apparatus supports it. George H.W. Bush supports it as do every living former Republican Sec. of State. Reagan supported the same exact kind of deal with the Soviets (Russians).

Old 12-18-2010, 11:17 AM

13,900 posts, read 9,769,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavaturaccioli View Post
For 'everyone'? You mean everyone except the hated affluent. Class warfare is no more morally justifiable than racism.
I don't think its worse than racism, but its still bad for the US and the economy. I'm just glad that Obama twisted their arms to keep all taxes lower.

Old 12-18-2010, 11:18 AM

11,449 posts, read 14,465,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavaturaccioli View Post
'Nothing' is immeasureably better than what the 111th Congress -the worst in modern American history -has done to our grandkids. As things stand right now there is no aspect of my personal businesss that some dolt in D.C. doesn't think s/he has an obligation (much less a right) to control.

Three cheers for gridlock.
Waaaaaah, they stopped us from going into a Depression by employing the same stop gap methods the previous administration did, saving hundreds of thousands of jobs. While they were at it, they helped millions of more Americans get access to health care, all while creating regulatory reform so Wall Street couldn't bring this country to its knees again. Boo hoo hoo!

Old 12-18-2010, 11:19 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,827,692 times
Quote:
Because they can. Their terms are not up, so they want to get stuff done. I actually agree with a lot of the stuff they are trying to pass. I supported the tax bill, START, and ending DADT.
They want to do as much damage as possible while they can.

22,229 posts, read 17,853,377 times
I think the Dems are just trying to get at least a little return on what the people spent on Repub salaries this year.

3,083 posts, read 4,010,362 times
Quote:
The people still in office right now were elected to a full two year term, not a 1 year and 11 month term.
Yes, they were elected to a 2yr term. During that term they were expected to represent the beliefs and wishes of their constituents. Failure to fulfill those expectations resulted in their not being reelected. They no longer enjoy the trust of their constituents.

There is no pressing reason an untrusted lame duck congress needs to pursue ratification of START.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies