Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2010, 08:59 PM

3,948 posts, read 4,304,292 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Almost EVERY day we hear about "another possible terrorist attack" from our government. So what else is new?

The government has everyone "on alert", it's become the normal way of living..........
I believe you are overreacting. It is not "EVERYDAY" or "Almost everyday." You have to understand that the activity of terrorists is being monitored and that there are things that trigger them to increase their activity. Those periods of increased activity can be weeks or half a year. The government is going to report those things and the media that covers those activities will report that to us.

That is the point I am trying to make. No one is trying to heighten fear. It just so happens that the reality of terrorism is there and it is reported on. If there are things to report then the media is going to report them. So, instead of getting mad at the media or the government on this, realize that it is the terrorists groups that are the ones behind this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2010, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
No, its about flashing the fear card as often as possible. I think most people are aware that such an attaack *could* happen. They aren't moving about in a dream fog. But the constant harping on what "might" happen simply serves to diminish the awareness. I used to live in California, for instance and knew that the "big one" could happen anytime. It wasn't mentioned often. But everyone knows. If you woke up with the voice on the raido saying, "there is a possiblity of a major earthquake today," after awhile you just aren't going ot hear it.

If there is some *real* intelligence about this then let them give a more concrete warning. If every time there is a little "chatter" about something which might get planned it becomes a fear card if there really is something to beware of nobody is going to listen.

And I think we are quite aware of others without the government urging us to look and report on the unusual as has been urged. Do we really want to turn into the society where you have to worry what you do while walking down the street, talking on the phone, tryping your message? I think not. Let people use their *normal* degrees of perception without encouraging paranoia or we all will have to be paranoid of all we do in case someone else decides its "abnormal".
You're not understanding though. Potential attacks are different each time. The government nor the media are telling people to be afraid of a general potential attack. What is reported are alerts based off of new information or specifics. If you read an article, no one is saying, "Be afraid ... be afraid of the general existence of terrorists." There specific groups in specific places that are targeting specific places and the media reports on this. If you want to get bent out of shape about it, that's your business, but don't try to make it out to be that they are speaking in general terms.

Why would you have such a problem with this if you aren't one that would be on alert? I ask this because I've come across many people who always complain about intelligence and counter-terrorism updates as if no one ELSE has the right to know what is going on in the world or who is targeting us as a country. If you actually read the articles (if you haven't) that do come out, you'd see that they are detailing who is been known to be behind these things and where they are targeting. Is it wrong for the media to report on this? People can decide if they want to take precautions or not. Many people still fly even in the face of 9/11. And even before 9/11 there were hijackings and people would be aware of that, sometimes saying prayer that nothing would happen, but they still flew. With that said, it doesn't mean that the government shouldn't take precautions to reduce the possibility of a hijacking.

Old 12-19-2010, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
Do we really want to turn into the society where you have to worry what you do while walking down the street, talking on the phone, tryping your message? I think not. Let people use their *normal* degrees of perception without encouraging paranoia or we all will have to be paranoid of all we do in case someone else decides its "abnormal".
Oh, and I don't think this is ever possible. It is not natural to walk around wondering and worrying about everything. It is not something that we as people do or we as a U.S. society do, so I do not think you have to worry about that. There have been many major threats, natural or created by man, in which we have continued on with our daily life. It could have been a biological threat such as swine flu, SARs (just to mention recent events) in which we had to overlook just to continue on with our daily life and to keep on working. We know the risks of these things, the ways that they could hurt us, but we keep on going about our lives because we have no choice.

The same is true and will continue to be true, I believe, about terrorist threats. We have to work, we don't sit in our homes, we have families to visit and we tend to be very brave people actually. Most people don't put their lives on hold in the face of threats. In London after the terrorist bombings in the subways and on the bus system, people were back on those buses and in those subways as they had to commute throughout the day.

Old 12-19-2010, 09:12 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,314,292 times
How come the Government never issues warnings about potential False Flag terrorist attacks?

Guess we'll need to depend on Julian Assange for that.

Old 12-19-2010, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
What is different about today than say, March 5, 1770 or December 7th, 1941, or October 29, 1929, April 19, 1995, or September 11th 2001? Were we safe then and we aren't now, or were we in danger then and aren't now?

In times when Americans have something to be afraid about truly, you will find the leaders of our country telling us not to be afraid, but when there is little to truly fear, we are told to fear everything. I for one am astonished at the sheer number of my fellow countrymen who walk around this country like feinting goats, one clap and they would fall over quivering like jelly.

Yes, everyday someone could attack us, in fact someone wants to attack us and at some point actually attack us. The next day America will still be here, short of a few people perhaps, but then this country does what this country does best, it acts like a frightened school girl who just wet her britches because she saw a shadow in her room at night. Laws will be passed, liberties of the citizens will regress, and the free country our forefathers fought so hard for will look like something between Pelican Bay prison and the former Soviet Union where all the citizens beg their government to keep them safe from EVERYTHING, so to accomplish this, they are kept safe in neat little cells.

Freedom cost and sometimes it is painful, but if you want to be free you can't be afraid and timid. While fear and awareness can save a life, it is also important to note that fear is the tool of tyrants and the vehicle to obedience.

I'll let you all know when you can come out from under the bed, which I suspect should be around the end of April. in the year 2254
I have explained to you what was different then than now and frankly that is a pointless question: what is different now than then in regards to terrorist threats? You have technological, biological advances and population changes, tons of factors.

Old 12-19-2010, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
How come the Government never issues warnings about potential False Flag terrorist attacks?

Guess we'll need to depend on Julian Assange for that.
What? Well, considering a false flag is not supposed to be known to the public, it makes sense for them not to issue warnings. Way to go on your sarcasm attempt.

Old 12-19-2010, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
The only thing we have to fear is fear itself
This is true. Although fear is a natural thing in our human body that often keeps us from doing things that we shouldn't do. In some cases, it keeps us smart.

Old 12-19-2010, 09:17 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,314,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoEdible View Post
What? Well, considering a false flag is not supposed to be known to the public, it makes sense for them not to issue warnings. Way to go on your sarcasm attempt.
We've had more false flag terrorist attacks since 9-10-01 than genuine terrorist attacks.

But still, there's always a chance of a genuine terrorist attack.

Old 12-19-2010, 09:42 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,926,044 times
Rectal searches for everybody. The fearful get a 2 for 1 offer. Merry christmas - Janet

Old 12-19-2010, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thhour View Post
rectal searches for everybody. The fearful get a 2 for 1 offer. Merry christmas - janet
lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies