Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2010, 07:57 PM

7,184 posts, read 4,766,211 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
People might be interested to know that the Army has been having ungoing EO training to prepare for this for some time. They just concluded a very large EO training session on Friday.
Glad to hear it. Thanks for the info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2010, 07:58 PM

563 posts, read 518,820 times
I am against the new bill. I have no problems with gays and lesbians serving, but it does not need to be broadcasted. Now lets face facts and not how people should be. You know darn well that there are many soldiers who will not like this.

What happens if during war time that someone has a problem and someone is in danger and they turn their backs and something happens? I am not saying it is right, I am saying we all know there are many like that, and that person unfortunately has a bad accident or is fatal; will they now push to charge that soldier as a hate crime?

Old 12-18-2010, 08:03 PM

7,184 posts, read 4,766,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiman View Post
I can't agree with the overturning of DADT. People are in the military to serve their country, not comb each others hair talking about their sexual preferences.

There should be a rule in place where no one is allowed to talk about anything except their job. Keep this fair and equal for all.
OMG.

You obviously have not served in the military.

Old 12-18-2010, 09:22 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,065,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Storm View Post
You know darn well that there are many soldiers who will not like this.
Too damn bad for them. If it's really that big of an issue, let's work out a deal where those who have an issue with it can forfeit any enlistment bonuses and access to the G.I Bill in exchange for their discharge.

Be interesting to see how many want to stick to their "principles" then.

Old 12-18-2010, 09:23 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times
I don't know how anyone in the military COULD have a problem with it. They serve with gays...no question. Do they just prefer kidding themselves? Too bad, life is hard.

Old 12-18-2010, 09:24 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times
Quote:
I am against the new bill. I have no problems with gays and lesbians serving, but it does not need to be broadcasted. Now lets face facts and not how people should be. You know darn well that there are many soldiers who will not like this.

What happens if during war time that someone has a problem and someone is in danger and they turn their backs and something happens? I am not saying it is right, I am saying we all know there are many like that, and that person unfortunately has a bad accident or is fatal; will they now push to charge that soldier as a hate crime?
How do you suppose it's going to be "broadcasted"? What on earth do you think "could happen"? Explain

Old 12-18-2010, 09:33 PM

4,803 posts, read 10,173,569 times
1) Gays serve in the military now already and have for a long time.

2) DADT has only been in place since 1993

3) They aren't going to flaunt it anymore than a man talking about his gf or wife back home. A homosexual can speak of his loved one.

4) Females are in the military now and straight men can control themselves and not foaming at the mouth for sex the same way gay men will not be foaming at the mouth (esp. since they are already in the military.

5)The stereotype gay you picture in your head is not the type of gay that would join anyway.

Old 12-18-2010, 09:34 PM

22,187 posts, read 19,459,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinablue View Post
As a North Carolinian, I give major props to Senator Richard Burr. Thank you sir. Great News!
Burr along with Ensign did something a little odd. They voted to block the bill from getting an up or down vote (the cloture vote was 63-33) but decided to vote for the repeal anyway.

From time to time you will see Senators vote in favor of cloture, but against the bill (meaning they are against the bill, but won't support blocking the bill from getting an actual vote), but its rare you see Senators who try and stop a bill from getting an up or down vote, but vote for it anyway.

Old 12-18-2010, 09:35 PM

5,391 posts, read 7,229,619 times
Quote:
Your scenario is very confusing. Are you speculating that if a known gay soldier gets hurt accidentally, that soldier or someone else will accuse another soldier of intentional harmful action due to bias?

Or are you speculating on cases of fragging, in which a known gay soldier will be targeted and harmed on purpose by a gay-hating soldier? (by the way, that's not called "having an accident.")

The first interpretation seems ludicrous. The second is one that very well could have argued when black troops were integrated into the military, as well. Was the reality of bigoted white soldiers who might harm a black soldier a reason for not integrating?

And if a soldier did kill or injure a gay soldier because they despised homosexuals, do you see some particular problem with charging them with a hate crime?

Old 12-18-2010, 09:37 PM

22,187 posts, read 19,459,426 times
Quote:

Some white soldiers had problems with serving with blacks during wartime. Should we have let the bigots get what they wanted and banned blacks from serving alongside whites in the Military??

And this isn't about broadcasting it, its about now getting kicked out if its found out you are gay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies