Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2010, 08:52 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,781,454 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ynot View Post
Everyone is a potential terrorist if you believe everything you read these days, especially if the US Government doesn't agree with you or you choose to fly.

I think the real terrorists are the politicians in DC that say one thing, then do another while holding the US spending bill hostage so they can tack on more wasteful government spending a/k/a pork barrel projects. Big business is running this country and there ain't nothin' you can do about it!

Personnaly, I can't wait to hear what gets released about Bank of America. I'm sure it'll be a crowd pleaser.
Correct. Those defending the Patriot Act do not appear to intend to keep our constitution. Why are both sides defending it? When I have 2 candidates offering me a choice of NAFTA or NAFTA, I've got to say no to both. When I have 2 candidates offering me a choice between 1st amendment defense or 2nd amendment defense, neither are qualified for the job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2010, 09:01 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,213,816 times
Any agent of information who exposes mis-deeds of governments should be regarded as an international hero. I suspect his accusers wouldn't want to be regarded as terrorists, either.

Old 12-18-2010, 09:03 PM

5,391 posts, read 7,229,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
As I said, not all terrorists directly kill and blow themselves up. Terrorists also assist with strategic planning which is indirect. And he absolutely has done that by making classified documents available to the public.

Period.
So all spies are terrorists? Was Aldrich Ames a terrorist?

What about whistleblowers?

Was Seymour Hersh a terrorist when he broke the My Lai story to the world? And Daniel Ellsberg -- terrorist?

What we're seeing is a word misused for political purposes.

Old 12-18-2010, 10:02 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,319,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbobobbo View Post
So all spies are terrorists? Was Aldrich Ames a terrorist?

What about whistleblowers?

Was Seymour Hersh a terrorist when he broke the My Lai story to the world? And Daniel Ellsberg -- terrorist?

What we're seeing is a word misused for political purposes.
"Another instance will underscore the difficulty of fashioning definitions that fit the intricacies of actual circumstances. Boisjoly's colleague, Allan MacDonald, Morton Thiokol's liaison for the Solid Rocket Booster project at the Kennedy Space Center is not widely known as a whistleblower. Absent from the fateful caucus in Utah, he was on the job at the Kennedy Space Center. However, after the managers in Utah made the recommendation to launch, he continued to argue for delay, saying that if the mission failed, he would not want to have to explain to a board of inquiry the decision to launch. Did he violate procedures or go outside approved channels? It would seem so, but his action did not result in his being labeled a whistleblower."

"If it is a distinguishing mark of actions labeled whistleblowing that the agent intends to force attention to a serious moral problem, both Boisjoly's and MacDonald's responses qualify. This feature is the foundation of the public's interest in whistleblowing. By bringing such serious problems to light, whistleblowers contribute to protecting the public's welfare. There have been instances of serious moral problems that were well known inside companies but did not get exposed for lack of a whistleblower. An example is the DC-10 cargo door problem that was implicated in the crash near Paris which took 346 lives in 1974. Organizations offer settings in which problems with potential for catastrophe can slowly ripen and somehow remain unattended to and unexposed even though many people in those settings are aware of the problems."

Whistleblowing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies