Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2010, 05:26 PM

1,266 posts, read 3,222,421 times

Advertisements

Well, I made the mistake of reading an email from a Doomer friend, and now I'm terminally depressed. I believe in preparedness and have a strong apocalyptic streak myself, but I look like a sheeple compared to this guy:

We

Excerpt: Evidence for completion of the ongoing collapse of the industrial economy continues to mount. For starters, the smart money is selling out of U.S. stock markets as U.S. banks are hoarding funds instead of loaning. The American love affair with stocks is over. States are imploding one by one (and then, if we’re lucky, all at once). The Federal Reserve is bailing out a surprising array of corporations, foreign banks, and, of course, the big banks in the U.S. (the latter to the tune of $9 trillion). Unemployment compensation benefits just ended for another two million people in the U.S. The U.S. government’s attempts to reflate the housing bubble have been overtaken by economic reality. Meanwhile, we spend money we don’t have on the ongoing, never-ending war in Afghanistan, which — not surprisingly to regular readers here — is not about Afghanistan at all.

Just more drivel from another Cassandra? Or are we indeed "toast?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2010, 05:30 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,142,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecypher5413 View Post
Well, I made the mistake of reading an email from a Doomer friend, and now I'm terminally depressed. I believe in preparedness and have a strong apocalyptic streak myself, but I look like a sheeple compared to this guy:

We

Excerpt: Evidence for completion of the ongoing collapse of the industrial economy continues to mount. For starters, the smart money is selling out of U.S. stock markets as U.S. banks are hoarding funds instead of loaning. The American love affair with stocks is over. States are imploding one by one (and then, if we’re lucky, all at once). The Federal Reserve is bailing out a surprising array of corporations, foreign banks, and, of course, the big banks in the U.S. (the latter to the tune of $9 trillion). Unemployment compensation benefits just ended for another two million people in the U.S. The U.S. government’s attempts to reflate the housing bubble have been overtaken by economic reality. Meanwhile, we spend money we don’t have on the ongoing, never-ending war in Afghanistan, which — not surprisingly to regular readers here — is not about Afghanistan at all.

Toast....but there's nothing you can do about it so just relax and go to sleep.

Old 12-18-2010, 05:32 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,461,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecypher5413 View Post

We

More drivel, if anything there is a move towards stocks coming up. Go get some sleep.

Old 12-18-2010, 05:46 PM

1,677 posts, read 1,667,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
More drivel, if anything there is a move towards stocks coming up. Go get some sleep.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Toast....but there's nothing you can do about it so just relax and go to sleep.

Wow, you guys must be professional debaters. Your refutation, and/or support with use of factual data is....gosh...I just can't think of the words to express it.

Old 12-18-2010, 05:52 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,461,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet_ohara View Post
Wow, you guys must be professional debaters. Your refutation, and/or support with use of factual data is....gosh...I just can't think of the words to express it.
"factual data"

Right. Some dope with a blog is now "factual data." Did it ever occur to you that anybody can start a blog and talk about the end of the world, because they are short on stocks or selling gold?

When I see something worth arguing against I'll be glad to do so, but this crap? Please.

Old 12-18-2010, 06:15 PM

1,677 posts, read 1,667,852 times
Quote:
"factual data"

Right. Some dope with a blog is now "factual data."
Hardly.

Quote:
Did it ever occur to you that anybody can start a blog and talk about the end of the world, because they are short on stocks or selling gold?
Yep, it occurred to me.

Quote:
When I see something worth arguing against I'll be glad to do so, but this crap? Please.
Well, apparently you thought it worthy since you jumped in calling it drivel.

I'm not saying it is or isn't drivel, but usually when someone jumps in like you did, it is logical to assume s/he has the evidence to effortlessly back up his/her statement...especially if s/he is disputing some crappy drivel some bloke spewed on a blog.

Old 12-18-2010, 06:19 PM

1,372 posts, read 1,548,420 times
Everything is completely under control. Go back to sleep... go back to sleep.

Old 12-18-2010, 06:21 PM

5,872 posts, read 8,090,819 times
Yep, two years of holding the line has started to weaken. We're toast...well those who have not prepared are I should say. Those who have prepared, are well...prepared.

If you're not, it's okay. Just close your eyes...sleep deeply, calmly. The chill of the night will come quickly and quietly. Go gentle. Don't resist. Don't fight it. It doesn't like it when you fight it.

Old 12-18-2010, 06:22 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,409,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zekester View Post
Everything is completely under control. Go back to sleep. Go back to sleep.
So Zekester would you advise the OP to invest in our stock market, buy a house, spend freely because the economy is on the mend?

Old 12-18-2010, 06:24 PM

1,266 posts, read 3,222,421 times
Yeah, SLC Punk, Scarlett's right on what she said. Did you even read through the essay before dismissing it out of hand?

He's got pretty impressive academic chops: Professor Emeritus (20 years teaching and conducting research in natural resources), author of nine books and over 100 articles, and he's living what he preaches (off-grid in a straw-bale house with a sustainable lifestyle).

So I hardly think you should summarily dis him as just another blogger who doesn't know what he's talking about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies