Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2010, 07:50 AM

2,735 posts, read 2,463,700 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I have no argument with anything you say, and it always puzzles me that people would fall for advertising/industry lobbying/government propaganda in the first place, so I tend to dismiss it, but I guess people do.

But...sugar isn't healthy? It's one of my basic food groups!
I wish industrial sugar was healthy, then I'd enjoy my chocolate and sweets more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2010, 07:55 AM

7,545 posts, read 8,326,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pamky View Post
I wish industrial sugar was healthy, then I'd enjoy my chocolate and sweets more.
Well there are less unhealthy alternatives to your refined white sugar... honey or molasses for example.

Old 12-19-2010, 07:55 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,555,075 times
Quote:
It's hard to establish, because often they were eaten by saber-toothed tigers before they got the chance to develop cancer or heart disease.
Lol. That was pretty much my point

Old 12-19-2010, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
Can you substantiate the bit about people thousands of years ago not having the diseases we have now? Thanks.
You can read the studies to find out the link between consumption of milk and different diseases.

E.g. ( Im not sure if its in one of the article) More and more adults suffer from acne and there are studies that suggests that our diet today is responsible for it as well. Even though acne does not lead to death, it has severe affects on someone's self-esteem.

Old 12-19-2010, 08:08 AM

Quote:
I have no argument with anything you say, and it always puzzles me that people would fall for advertising/industry lobbying/government propaganda in the first place, so I tend to dismiss it, but I guess people do.
And its the same in Europe. That pisses me off. I can't even make fun of
Americans falling for this propaganda.

Old 12-19-2010, 08:19 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
The articles also mention that calcium from milk does not lead to stronger bones so that would be true to Croatian cows as well.

Just think about it: People did not drink milk for thousands of years and did not have the diseases we now have.
Also, which adult animals drink milk?
Actually, humans, as opposed to billy goats, etc, have long used the milk of other animals. It's because we can think!

Quote:
Yes, diabtetes comes to my mind, but you don't see the sugar industry claiming they make healthy food.

What is 3000 years compared to over 100 000 years? And second, just compare the amount of dairy products we eat today with what people used to eat. Additionally, the cows back in the days were probably healthier than these todays and people drank fresh milk.

Well, who knows if cooking is that great. A lot of vitamins get lost when cooked for too long or too hot.

Studys suggest that the milk raises the chance to get cancer etc.
My problem is that the milk lobby is backed by the government that suggest that milk is this answer to our needs, like e.g. to osteoporosis
when in facts milk does not help, but even worsens it.
As was pointed out, it's hard to die of a degenerative disease when one dies at age 25.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stayinformed40 View Post
I know I feel better having switched to soy, rice and almond milk. Soy comes in vanilla and other flavors and my child loves it.

I agree, and my Doctor also says, nuts and broccoli are far better suppliers of good calcium than milk.
Talk about artificial food!

Old 12-19-2010, 08:24 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,555,075 times
Quote:
You can read the studies to find out the link between consumption of milk and different diseases.
I skimmed thru them, but didn't note any reference to diseases present today that didn't exist thousands of years ago. Which one references these new diseases?

Quote:
E.g. ( Im not sure if its in one of the article) More and more adults suffer from acne and there are studies that suggests that our diet today is responsible for it as well. Even though acne does not lead to death, it has severe affects on someone's self-esteem.
I haven't noticed many adults with acne; how can we possibly know how many adults had acne thousands of years ago?
BTW, I agree with your main premise that the health benefits of dairy are overhyped and quite possibly unfounded. But I'm not giving up cheese anytime soon

Old 12-19-2010, 08:27 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,321,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
Well there are less unhealthy alternatives to your refined white sugar... honey or molasses for example.
I kinda wish there was an entrepreneur out there that would market unrefined cane sugar.

Who knows - it might sell.

Oh! I guess it does exist.

Just not in the grocery store.

http://www.ehow.com/facts_5968825_di...ne-sugar_.html

Old 12-19-2010, 08:29 AM

4,049 posts, read 2,741,647 times
I had a friend a few years ago that had a 6yr.old daughter. We were speaking one day about kids & she told me her daughter had begun to grow small breasts & develop body odor.
She became worried about this & took her to the DR. who found out this child had been drinking excessive amounts of milk & consuming a great deal of cheese.
The DR. told the mom to stop giving it to her daughter & both symptoms went away. The DR told her that milk has hormones in it that sometimes will cause these symptoms.
I was shocked when she told me this but, it makes sense.

I have osteoporosis & I do not drink milk & won't.

Old 12-19-2010, 08:31 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times
Quote:
Willett and his colleagues analyzed dietary information gathered from nearly 80,000 women, ages 30 to 55, over a 12-year period. They found no evidence that women who consumed one to three servings daily of milk or other calcium-rich foods--like cheese or yogurt--reduced their risk of hip fractures, the standard measure for osteoporosis.
Got milk - or more? - a study by Harvard University researcher Walter Willett found no evidence that consuming dairy products helps prevent osteoporosis - includes related article on the calcium controversy - Brief Article | Vegetarian Times | Find A
OK, This doesn't say milk is bad for you, just not quite as good as some people suggest. It depends greatly on how much calcium your body absorbs from the food they eat.

So, this goes against your "milk isn't healthy" all this one is saying is that its neither good or bad for osteoporosis.

Quote:
Butter, meat, eggs, milk, and cheese are implicated in higher rates of hormone-dependent cancers in general, she said. Breast cancer has been linked particularly to consumption of milk and cheese.

Hormones in milk can be dangerous

This, again, isn't milk, its hormones in the milk. I drink organic milk for this reason. Again, milk is fine, hormones are not. There are getting to be more and more regulations for the amount of hormones in milk cattle. The food bill that just passed in the house had more regulations for milk production.

Quote:
The anti-milk lobby also claims that consumption of dairy products can aggravate rheumatoid arthritis and has been implicated in colic, acne, heart disease, asthma, lymphoma, ovarian cancer and multiple sclerosis.
Quote:

Dairy monsters: Just how healthy is milk? | Life and style | The Guardian

If you don't agree with the things posted above, feel free to post studys that support your claims.
Again, where does this say that milk isn't healthy?

Longer Life For Milk Drinkers, Study Suggests

Here is a study that shows that milk drinkers live longer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies