U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2010, 07:34 AM

1,791 posts, read 1,655,040 times

Advertisements

'no-show' volunteers.

Here in the North Country someone wrote in the local newspaper (already rebutted by more than one person) that bell ringers should not be paid. Even minimum wage. Said charity should be free.

Well let me tell that person (along with MY rebuttal) and the rest of you that yesterday half of the people from different organizations, supposedly kind enough to volunteer (one a cub scout troop), didn't show or call to let anyone know they weren't going to be there. Which is a natural occurrence. And the weather was beautiful yesterday. Unseasonably warm. So it's either too cold or too warm? If you tell someone you're going to do something, especially something such as this, DO IT. So not only is money lost for those in need, but it makes the job of the Captain much harder. As if he doesn't deal with enough already.

Just goes to show the lack of respect mixed with a big dose of hypocrisy that this country is plagued with. So kudos to the volunteers that make empty gestures, ultimately turning their backs and letting down the people that have fallen on hard times.

But don't worry, if and when YOU (and you know who YOU are) ever find yourself in need, the SA will help you when you need it. Regardless of your inconsiderate actions. Heed my words... (although age old) "Never say never".

Gotta go and get ready to 'ring-a-ling'. I'm already a little behind schedule. Good day everyone.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2010, 07:41 AM

24,839 posts, read 34,328,805 times
That IS awful!!!

I do not disagree with bell ringers being paid.

That is a job, not charity.

Old 12-19-2010, 10:50 AM

47,531 posts, read 63,809,720 times
I didn't know those bell ringers were paid. I thought SA was charity. Nice to know they're a business.

Old 12-19-2010, 10:59 AM

7,544 posts, read 7,631,655 times
No-shows aren't only confined to volunteers I hope you know.

I think this is more of a reflection on our society in general, irrespective of the paid vs volunteer position. People just don't have the same moral standards of decency and responsibility today. I agree, if you tell someone you are going to do something, DO IT, regardless of whether or not you're getting paid.

Old 12-19-2010, 11:01 AM

29,042 posts, read 47,389,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I didn't know those bell ringers were paid. I thought SA was charity. Nice to know they're a business.
THEY aren't a business, they're a non-profit... even non-profits pay their working employees, in case you weren't aware.

Old 12-19-2010, 03:51 PM

14,545 posts, read 18,985,320 times
Most of the bell ringers are homeless or otherwise poor and being helped already. It's a job and they get paid. Why should they not? It lasts only the Holiday season as well. They also pay those who work in their stores and in their rehab centers for the work they do learning a job.

If people get paid for work then they should be paid.

I have worked conventions for a long time and the people who volunteer the first time usually show, the people who do the second time more often do not, but once its something they become used to they are quite dependable. I'm sure that those who volunteer after they have tried it do it out of commitment and will keep coming.

Old 12-19-2010, 04:38 PM

32,778 posts, read 36,299,290 times
"charity should be free" sure, sure. Charitiy is food, clothing, a helping hand, etc. Standing outside for 8 hours rinigng a bell is work. I would hope those folks are compensated somehow.

I agree about both workers and volunteers being undependable at times.

Old 12-19-2010, 05:50 PM

19,895 posts, read 16,844,542 times
For the time and energy they put in as a bell ringer, they outght ot be compensated by some means, at least for their time. This is the time of the year, when we ALL give to those that need it.

Old 12-19-2010, 07:19 PM

24,839 posts, read 34,328,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
For the time and energy they put in as a bell ringer, they outght ot be compensated by some means, at least for their time. This is the time of the year, when we ALL give to those that need it.
Yes....like any other job!!!!

Old 12-19-2010, 10:53 PM

1,791 posts, read 1,655,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
You should do research before you speak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
"charity should be free" sure, sure. Charitiy is food, clothing, a helping hand, etc. Standing outside for 8 hours rinigng a bell is work. I would hope those folks are compensated somehow.

I agree about both workers and volunteers being undependable at times.
Thank you for the 'hope these folks are compensated somehow' comment. We actually (not all - because some aren't healthy enough or have other responsibilities) work 10 hours, 6 days a week. And yes I do agree as well about workers AND volunteers being undependable at times. Some people are enough to think that people will volunteer ALL that time. 54 hours a week. I ask them... "Would you? Could you? Yea. Didn't think so". This season, early on, the SA (in Plattsburgh) lost somewhere between 2-5 full timers. I'm so tired and/or exhausted it's difficult to remember the exact number. I will MOST DEFINITELY volunteer some of my time next season for 'bell-ringing'. It's a GREAT feeling and has meaning. Something this country has a serious lack of.

So when anyone asks me now... "What have you done for your community"?... I can proudly give an answer. This is just the beginning of my activity of doing good for people and my community. Tip of the iceberg.

Just a quick note of how appreciative some people are. A woman walking out of Wal-Mart the other day said to me... "You always make my day with your silly hat and great attitude. You're so memorable. I will NEVER forget you". That made my day and swelled a few happy tears. Lets me know I'm headed in the right direction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies